The Doc kicked me out!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
So today I had my final post-op doctor visit! Can you believe that three months ago tomorrow, I had my surgery for the severed tendons and severed nerve? It was the longest span of time that I can ever remember. It sucked so bad. I just wanted to post this to you guys to remind you all to please be careful this summer in your treasure-seeking endeavors. All it takes is one stupid move and your life can really change for the worse. Watch for glass in your holes, and please be careful when collecting glass bottles. I would have never imagined this kind of injury to be this bad, but trust me, it is worse than you think. I will have stiffness and pain in my finger for a very very long time.

To celebrate my medical discharge, I rewarded myself with an old penny from the coin store across the street from the hospital. It will forever remind me to think twice.

So, again...be careful this summer, guys.

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Here is the old penny. It really does look much better in person.

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 284

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Joe!!
Glad you are getting stronger each day! Thanks for the concerns, and hopefully yours will be the last of all of our hunting misadventures...

I've gotta go out of town, but when I get back, we've got to work on getting you that silver Rosie! :wink:

Neil

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Joe, one good thing about your mishap is that you have made us all pay a little more attention to what lies in those dark holes. I dug 3 complete mason jars today with lids on and I never forced them out until they were ready. All the while thinking about ...well you know...damn, I can't stand the site of my own blood. :o
Glad you're back in the game and sweet cent you got there!

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Joe, I really hope your recovery is a speedy one. Man I don't ever wanna see my finger gushing like yours... but every time I'm scraping in a hole now with my fingers I'm thinking WTF IS IN THIS HOLE? I'm especially careful when I think the target is probably just another WINO SCREW TOP... because it usually has the neck attached to it. I doubt I would be as careful about it if you hadn't gone through your ordeal... I just wish you didn't have to have gone through it. Take care of that finger bud.

Hey, great largie! Nice shape for almost 200 years old... amazing that it has a full liberty but it's only graded Good? It's sweet!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad your doin better and thats a nice coin!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Brett said:
Joe, I really hope your recovery is a speedy one. Man I don't ever wanna see my finger gushing like yours... but every time I'm scraping in a hole now with my fingers I'm thinking WTF IS IN THIS HOLE? I'm especially careful when I think the target is probably just another WINO SCREW TOP... because it usually has the neck attached to it. I doubt I would be as careful about it if you hadn't gone through your ordeal... I just wish you didn't have to have gone through it. Take care of that finger bud.

Hey, great largie! Nice shape for almost 200 years old... amazing that it has a full liberty but it's only graded Good? It's sweet!

Thanks Brett. I don't think the coin was graded professionally. It does look much sharper in person. The back looks good too.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear your recovery is getting better.
Cut 2 tendons myself and my little finger will not close all the way.( 5 years )
I drop nuts , bolts, coins or any small items all the time.

You messed up 1 finger and got a nice large cent  hummmmm.
(Hope it will never happen>>>> If you lost ,say the tip of the finger ,
would you reward yourself with a Silver Dollar?    :icon_jokercolor: :icon_jokercolor: :icon_jokercolor:

Glad your doing better....

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
I'm glad that's over for you Joe. That finger is only gonna get better from here on out.
Mike

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Aw c'mon, why don't ya just go dig up a large cent?
nyuk nyuk nyuk

Got full movement? Having had the loss of the right hand threatened a couple times, I've surprised the docs in that I can use it all anymore but you gotta work it out!

Good to hear you're getting better and hope we can hunt and eat well this year!

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Lowbatts said:
Aw c'mon, why don't ya just go dig up a large cent?
nyuk nyuk nyuk

Got full movement? Having had the loss of the right hand threatened a couple times, I've surprised the docs in that I can use it all anymore but you gotta work it out!

Good to hear you're getting better and hope we can hunt and eat well this year!

Show me where I can dig up large cents so I won't have to buy any! lol

I do not, nor do I ever expect to, have full mobility of my left index finger. It sucks because I play drums a lot and I am in the process of re-training my hand to hold a stick when I'm playing. It's not easy. My finger has a lot of improving to do, but there will always be a degree of character to it.

We definitely have to hunt and eat well this year. I've been thinking about when we're doing our big group thing again. I'm thinking the beach, perhaps...

Joe

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
twistidd said:
We definitely have to hunt and eat well this year. I've been thinking about when we're doing our big group thing again. I'm thinking the beach, perhaps...

Joe

To the beach Jeeves! Now where can we park that doesn't cost $27 a day?

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF
Twistidd,
Glad to hear the worst is over. It didn't slow you down enough to stop you from finding that honey-hole!!!
I would be up for a beach hunt. I got a new Xterra 70 I have to break in.

Makton

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad your finger's almost back to normal. . . which means you should be digging up that elusive silver Rosie this weekend :D

Take care,
Mark

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Brett said:
twistidd said:

Joe

To the beach Jeeves! Now where can we park that doesn't cost $27 a day?

$27 a day?!?!? what beaches are you going to? lol

I like Montrose Beach, tons of free parking, acres and acres of greenspace for barbeques, and a nice big beach that attracts a lot of people during the summer.

Or North Avenue...either way.

Todd, whenever you're down for a hunt, woods or otherwise, let me know if you'd like some backup. Feel free to chime in if you wanna come on up here with us, too. How do you like the Minelab?

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread