Found an old dumpsite!

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Had some awesome relic and glass finds today (warning most were surface). But before I go into that, I would be remiss not to put up this 1957 dime I found on 8/13. I didn't post it at the time, cuz it was my only find. But it is special as it's my 10th silver for the year (I know some are celebrating 50 and above, but I am young at this :P )

1957.JPG

Now for today, 8/22. A few months ago when I was hunting a local woods, a passer by mentioned there was an 1800's dumpsite in the area, but could not adequately describe where it was. I may have found it today. I was in the woods and noticed 1 section of old wood split rail fence. When I went to look, I noticed a really old shard from a glass bottle. I began to look and saw old metal, porcelain, and glass everywhere (and the place was huge). I was overwhelmed (plus I only know coins, I don't know Bottle values). I only stayed there 40 minutes today as my pack got full.

dump site.JPG
(The brown shard is from Tosetti brewing co, chicago, which closed in 1915)
(Also the old mower blade is neat -- it may be my first electrolysis experiment)

This find brings me a lot of joy. It may have little value, but to me its going in my coin collection -- a 1929 bank calender card (Think about that -- the year of stock market crashes and bank runs; maybe it was tossed away in disgust :cussing: :cussing:)

1929 bank card a.JPG
1929 bank card b.JPG

Now onto the bottles (any help appreciated, I really know nothing about these):

The first 2 are embossed Larkin Co (and) Buffalo
bottle 1.JPG
bottle 2.JPG
The third bottle is embossed ALLWORTH&DUENSING (arced) CHICAGO HEIGHTS (accross below the arc)
bottle 3.JPG
The Last bottle is not embossed
bottle 4.JPG

I guess I have a place for relics when the silver is slow!

E

elle

P2c:

What great finds! How incredible! Keep up the good work! :hello2:

Laura

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great spot you have there and congrats on your 10th silver!!!!!!! :icon_pirat:

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
WTG on your 10th ailver and on those other great finds!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Those are some cool bottles, and you're right - that bank card is great!

I really like the blue pattern on the china piece, too.

Looks like you could spend a lot of time in that spot for sure!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Wow, great finds! I've got a bottle dump site too, but it's not as old as yours. Whenever I come across any old bottles in the woods, I take them, and believe me, I've got so many, it becomes kind of sickening (coins are easier to stack away!)

And, congratulations on your silver rosey! I was in a rosey drought for a long time and now I'm finding them a lot.

Joe

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hmmm, now what to do with that old dumpsite!?!

Nice hunt and that bank calendar rocks!

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Congrats on your 10th silver!! I agree, the bank card is too cool. So what's it made out of, plastic?

OP
OP
p2c

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
litefire56 said:
Congrats on your 10th silver!! I agree, the bank card is too cool. So what's it made out of, plastic?

It is plastic, which surprises me. I knew that bakelite was used that early, but I was surprised that other sorts of plastics were around that early (plus used in such bulk applications as freebie giveaways) but I did look up plastics on wikipedia after finding this card. I guess that both polystyrene and pvc were around then. The article is unclear, but it sounds like both were discovered in the 1830's but not really developed for mass industrial uses until after WWI (and really after the 1930's).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread