Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Dinosaur" discovery in the woods 12-13-09

After a good hearty breakfast with Lowbatts, Watercolor and Kimsdad, we ventured into the wilds of an abandoned and long gone camp and possible home site(s). I had never hunted in the snow before and was a bit reluctant to go - not wanting to get frostbite or chip away at ice blocks just for clad.

Since the temperature was nice enough and the snow cover wasn't too deep, I decided to go and see what this winter hunting stuff was all about. Little did I know that I would be the first to discover...
CLAD-REX. This particular "dinosaur" was totally covered in mud (as was I by the end of the hunt).
Descendants of it are still able to be found in Franklin Park, IL as evidenced by recent research on Google.

The most exciting find for me however was a rectangular piece of metal.
It also was covered in mud and caked on gunk that prevented me from seeing what it really was.
I was very tempted to just toss it out since it didn't look that different from similar pieces of junk metal I had found in other places, and there was nothing embossed on it.

I decided to wash off the metal since it was a piece that had been intentionally made to that size.
It seemed out of place compared to the other junk I had found around it.
A little background about myself before I get to the point of this...
My grandfather was a commercial artist that specialized in hand lettering original product labels - some of which were small labels that had hand lettering done as small as 1/16th of an inch, and it looked perfect as if it was machine type or lithography. While I was never that good at the small lettering, I did go to sign painting school and had a sign shop (where I started out with hand lettered signs) for about 23 years. OK that's the preface. And the reason why the following was so exciting to see.

While washing off that rectangular plate, all of a sudden I see some very fine lettering appear.
What the heck is this? I says to myself... I continue to scrub the plate and it revealed some engraved lettering, which was being done on this plate as a practice exercise. Complete with the guidelines. Very cool! So then I flip it over and start to clean up the other side, and more lettering! Very small and delicate script engraved letters. Whoever had done it still needed practice, but was well on the way to becoming a very skilled engraver.

Other things found... the boy scout neckerchief slide, the ladies compact (which had an intact working hinge and was full of gross moldy face powder), the top handle/closure bracket off a mess kit - stamped Korea, the harmonica reeds, a brass pipe fitting, the mason jar top with the glass insert, a salt shaker top or possible bottle stopper for shaking water onto clothes when ironing, a chung of decorated metal - possibly Clad-Rex in blue?, a couple small button like things about the size of a cigarette lighter flint wheel, the ring and lag bolt, and an antique hare krishna cymbal. Well, maybe it was an embossed washer. Not pictured were the two mem cents I found and the metal tube which I originally thought was glue but turned out to be Clearasil.

It was a fun time even though I didn't get any silver or old coins - the engraved plate alone was worth it for me! But I can't figure out how the other 3 Amigos were able to hunt in the same conditions and NOT get all covered in mud like I did...

Attachments

• C-Rex.jpg
    C-Rex.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 221
  • Engrave1.jpg
    Engrave1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 214
  • Engrave2.jpg
    Engrave2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 210
  • 12-13-09.jpg
    12-13-09.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 202

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "Dinosaur" discovery in the woods 12-13-09

That engraving is more than AWESOME!!
Sometimes you just don't know what's in the bag until you hose it off :)

BTW, did you ever get all that caked mud off your clothes? ;D

OP
OP
Mayo South Elgin

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Pants and jacket AND goodie pouch still full of mud...

I going to see if the "kinder, gentler on clothes" front load washer is any good for the real dirt.
If not, I may take the stuff down to the river and pound it against the rocks or use one of those old wash boards and some ivory soap flakes. Or I could just take it to a laundromat, but then I couldn't metal detect after doing the clothes :-)

That site has good potential if you can spend the time and find the hot spots there.

Unfortunately a lot of the signals I dug near the clearings, that sounded like great signals, turned out to be crushed or partial newer soda or beer cans. The snow had a mesmerizing effect on my detector and made me dig almost everything to the point that I had no more room in my pouch for the trash.
And the signals in the woods, some of them were below a layer of red bricks which was about 6 to 8 inches down. I left a lot of those for another time. Something about the red brick set off my pinpointer - must have been iron content in it.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Sounds like you were meant to find that plate!

Great finds, Mayo!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mayo South Elgin said:
And the signals in the woods, some of them were below a layer of red bricks which was about 6 to 8 inches down. I left a lot of those for another time.

Hmmm... Sounds like cache potential...

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

Cool finds, Mayo! What does the engraving say? Can't read it.

Joe

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250

might be a strong box or a coffe can under those bricks go back there and dig it up then tell us what it is

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Very cool engraving homework! Not glom on but that's what I do best. How do you spell glom?

Picks of the large Indian I found and the frozen toes gang that day! The Chief is about 2 1/2 inches high and 1 1/2 inches wide.

Attachments

• Chief Ohmytoes.jpg
    Chief Ohmytoes.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Coldtoesgang.jpg
    Coldtoesgang.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 138

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions