Treasure of the Llanganatis

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Softmer,

Another good book that will put you in the hunt is, "Valverde's Gold" by Mark Honigsbaum. There are many copies available at varying price levels:

Valverde's Gold - > 10.00 - AbeBooks

Have not seen any signed first editions for awhile, but there are some good copies out there.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo

OB,

Obviously.......I agree 100%. It's a good idea to gather as much information as possible from those who have been there and done that. :icon_thumright:

Take care,

Joe

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello All

I see that your already sold on the dream. Hell nothing wrong with that but a real treasure hunters are a cold and calculating creatures my friend. They go where the evidence takes them and not where thier heart wants to take them. There is huge amounts of treasure in South America still to be found but not where the locals milk dumb gringos money selling a dream.

Some fine references there Old Bookaroo Valverde's Gold; In Search of the Last Great Inca Treasure by Mark Honigsbaum was a favorte of mine too and sweat of the sun tears of the moon all entertaining books. But they rehash the same stuff over an over about 3000 camel loads of gold and silver. But like all books by these authors they saw the gold is in peoples pockets and they sell the dream.

The orginal story was taken from the book Historia General de los Castellanos en las islas i tierra written by Antonino de Herrera Tordesillas 1730 which charges that Ruminavi stole that amount of gold from the Spanish. However this book was written nearly 200 years after the event.

The books written after the event between 1540 and 1698 says nothing of Ruminavi stealing or burying the alleged treasure. They all tell of room and the mark that
Pizzaro placed upon wall of the cell of Atahualpa and filling with gold and silver from the empire. They tell of Ruminavi fleeing and say nothing of any alleged treasure he store or buried.

That only came out when the first edition 1728 from memory
Historia General de los Castellanos en las islas i tierra written by Antonino de Herrera Tordesillas at a time when gold flowing out of new world had reached its peak. And there was push in spain to look for more gold. Richard spruce in the 1860's from memory a botanist told of a local legend of Guzman map that was just a map and told of deterreo. That was the start of the legend becoming seen in the western world. Facinating story none the least.

Markmar You do not have pay $1000 dollars of a book by Richard Spruce you get it on the net for free. as well as Guzman map, Ernest loch expedition. Brooks expedition and few others for free.You just need take time and look on the net.

There is an old saying in treasure hunting if you want to know the truth get to the earlist accounts of the event.

I wish you luck in your search.

Crow

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow

You wrote " Hell nothing wrong with that but a real treasure hunters are a cold and calculating creatures my friend. They go where the evidence takes them and not where thier heart wants to take them. " . I agree with you .

My friend , the evidence is in the map . Guzman made a general topo map of Llanganati , but he left some clues which show the treasure place . He followed the " Derrotero de Valverde " and he found the treasure . Of respect for the Inca's civilization , and knowing how the historical artifacts in that era will becoming gold bars , he kept secret the place .
After about 100 years , Richard Spruce copied the Guzman map knowing about the treasure and hopes to find it . Because he investigated the south part of Llanganati Mountains , he hadn't a clear image of the territory north from Llanganati . After some years he understand the differences in the map and sent two guys in Llanganati to find the treasure . You know the story after that .

Marius

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Markmar

Just for clarity the two men you talk about. Is it the two British sailors you are eluding too?

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Markmar

There is no evidence to support the story of the two British saliors. Even Mark Honigsbaum in all his research to his credit he at least made an attempt.Found no evidence to prove conclusively that Barth blake and George Edwin Chapman ever existed?

I good friend of mine did some indepth research in the archives shipping indexs crew lists, British and American census, crew agreements, Captain licences registers Royal navy records. shipping records. immigration records, outward bound passenger lists. shipping indexes etc.... The list goes on. My friend is no slouch in these matters as he has many contacts in archives and librarie all over the worlds. As far he is concerned there is just no evidence to support the story of the British sailors.

However I do believe Don Atanasio Guzman may of been met in 1801 by Alexandre de Humboldt. Guzman was a botanist and it seems he was dead by 1808 There is evidence that the earlier map was possibly looked at by Humbolt in 1801? The deterreo Richard Spruce Found was dated 14th of march 1827. Guzman was long dead by then. The original map was made before possibly 1801. Don Atanasio Guzman was a botanist. One of his books survives on Botany in Quito. Guzman could well have read the Historia General de los Castellanos en las islas i tierra written by Antonino de Herrera Tordesillas 1830 book that gave him the imspiration to search for treasure during his own botanical expeditions. Richard Spruces had Gumans map copied in 1860 was sent to the to the geograpical society and its thier 1867 printed copy most people see today.

The deterreo dated 1827 clearly cound not have been written by Guzman at all. But agree the deterreo could of used the Guzman map as reference?

Anyway I suggest you hunt down the copy of ..........
Relation historique du voyage aux régions équinoxiales du nouveau co ... Alexander von Humboldt

Relation historique du voyage aux régions équinoxiales du nouveau continent. fait en 1799, 1800,1801,1802,1803, et 1804 Alexander de Humbolt written by A Bonpland 1900.

Good luck with your search

Crow

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow

I understand how your knowledge about Llanganati treasure is based on the Mark Honigsbaum book . The book is only his opinion about his search and I respect this . How are not evidences how the sailors made the voyage is simply to understand . In that era they could declares a fake name because they hadn't ID .
The " Derrotero de Valverde " was to the offices of Latacugna of the late of 18th century ,when the King of Spain sent copies to the corregidors of Latacungna and Ambato to search for the treasure .
Bob Barber wrote in Info Barrel :
" Another key piece of evidence related to the treasure's location is Guzman's map, pictured below. Don Atanasio Guzman was a Spanish botanist who lived in Píllaro, Ecuador, at the base of the Llanganates mountains, during the late 18th and early 19th centuries. In addition to collecting plants, Guzman was an inveterate treasure hunter. He made a map of his excursions in the Llanganates ,which was lost , then recovered and revised by the explorer Richard Spruce in the mid-19th century."
Look at The most Valuable Treasure in the World - InfoBarrel

Everybody have an opinion . Follow your instinct and choose the right .

Marius

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Markmar

Treasure legends are a hard mistress to please

Clearly I am wasting my time and I will not waste my time further as it appears you blindly believe in the dream and nothing will I will show you will ever dislodge your belief in the story. A word of advice my friend if you want to suceed in your quest, your have to forget all the modern authors who wrote the same old stuff off each other. And go find the orginal documents.

Otherwise your doomed for failure like the thousands of others who have traveled there before you that have dragged their lilly white asses over those mountains with the glee of locals rubbing their hands a few more gringos with deep pockets.

The British Salior story was modern invention to add gloss to the legend to keep the dream going. I do not rely on any other treasure hunter 20th documents such Mark Honigsbaum but the real earlier documents. If you really want the truth then go find the corespondance of the king of Spain. there will be a copy Spain if it exists...

Yes Everyone has a right to his or her opinion. But you cannot expect everyone to agree with your blind belief either since most of your quotes have been from other websites pumping the same old dream. Simple fact of the matter no authors before 1720 ever mentioned Incas hiding treasure. And that says at lot in volumes.

I wish you luck Amigo.

Crow

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow

I only wrote my opinion and I'm not blindly believe in this .
I wouldn't convince anybody to agree with me .
I didn't write how I will go to find the treasure .

If you waste your time to post in a treasure hunters site , you can continue in other site which they write about hikes, plants , nonexisted treasures or other stuff .

The original evidences was stolen or distroyed from the greedy treasure hunters . Maybe if the modern authors lived in !8th century , they could find more evidences about Derrotero and other stuff . Only the evidences , convinces only the blind Justice . The treasure hunters must think with a little suspiciousness and cunning about the each story .
I want to believe how the motto of treasure hunters is : " I hope , long as I live " . All of them who surrender , the only what they can see is the " lilly white asses " ( back ) of the brave and clever hunters which will precede in their search .

I am in this site to write my opinion in what about I have a little or vast knowledge , and to help anyone if I can and if he ask this from me .
I hope our controversy to stop here and to leave anyone who want , to write his or her opinion about the Llanganati treasure .

Marius

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'sunday morn: Don Mackaydon, I agree with you. Gentlemen please continue. while I have no plans to tackle LLanganati physically, I do mentally, so get to cracking my friends. Oirish coffee anyone?

Don Jose de La Mancha

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everybody

I wrote about the Guzman's clues in the map and about the most important clue , and was as if nothing has happened .
Maybe you not interested . However I will write something about .

The treasure clues starts when start the walk trail in Derrotero . Guzman painted this clues enlarged , to understand better the formation of the ground . The first clue is the lake Yana Cocha . In the map is larger then the lake Pisayambo , and in reality is smaller . You believe how Guzman didn't know that ?
The other clues , for the moment , I leave you to find them alone , like a test ( if you like ).

Marius

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi

The Derrotero says how the walking trail is performed in three days .

The first day begin south of the lake Yanacocha and continued down south of the drain channel of the lake . On the bottom of the drain channel , you must pass the stream " Cascada Y Golpe de .... " ( see the map ) on a bridge maked from tree logs . After that you continue south of the stream to the east . In the evening ,somewhere in the trail you stop for sleep .

The second day continued in the same direction and south of the stream , and after a distance you must pass again , but now a dry deep ravine ( see the map , it's written in Spanish ) on the bridge of tree logs . After you pass , continue in the same direction . In the evening maybe you can find the place which used from the indians for their camp and you stop for sleep .

The third day you continue in the same direction and south of the stream . After a distance , you will see a high hill of pyrite which is the second important clue of the map . In the map , shows bigger and is the " Volcano de las Margasitas " . You continue the trip on the left of the hill and follow the trail in the Derrotero .

TO BE CONTINUED...

Marius

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don Jose

Yes ,thank you . Usually I drink freddo espresso brand Filicori

Marius

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to add another thing in the first day of the walk trail . In the Derrotero , they stopped for sleep at a little wood house which was close to a tunel hole on the mountainside . This house , today , may not exist . But you can recognize the region because in the same place, according of an native indian description of the trail , is a big flat rock which have carved on it the indians trails in those mountains .

In the third day , after you pass the pyrite hill on the left , the trail changes direction to south-east and ascends .
The pyrite hill is about in the half distance between dry ravine and treasure .

Now , I leave you for a short time . Would be more enjoyable if you participated to the quest .

Marius

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daryl Friesen

Thank you . What is your opinion about Derrotero and Guzman map ?

Marius

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi

Now we continue the trip .

After the pyrite hill , like in Derrotero , must continue in a little canyon which begin between two hills . The canyon ascends , in the begining to SE and after turn to south . This is the Inca stone trail . After a some trip must reach a stream fall . Here must go right of the stream , pass the stream above the fall and continue the trip around to the right big rock . This big rock look like a rooster comb and have direction to NE .
This is the third and the last enlarged clue in the map . Behind this rock is the entrance of the cave . Guzman named this rock " Rock of Discordia " ( see the map , is written in Spanish ) from the greek goddess Eris (see at Eris (mythology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) , who , with a gold apple sowed discord between other goddesses . This name is symbolic and want to tell us what may be doing a treasure to the peoples .
From the start of the drain channel and to the treasure are about 5,2 miles . Maybe some hikers can do this trip faster , but is no easy in jungle with all the equipment .

This it's . I hope one day , somebody to prove this and to vindicate me .

Marius

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread