The Tale of two Brothers lost map of Corrigadors treasure.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Coazon de oro no problems this rather scrounger excuse of a Crow flies in and out during the course of the day. So no apologies needed my friend.

I have not worked out what the Devils fork or pitchfork relates too..I have been told many times my friend that the fiery one has spot for me down stairs anyway:laughing7:

Doc -d The only thing I can think of is that the places mentioned I gather was names was from local knowledge of the locality that might not now be known. This knowledge must of been a superstitious association of the environment around at the time of creating the map. Over time many of those names fell in disuse.

Culinary Caveman I think along those lines also.

Crow

Last edited:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senor Crow, the names based upon local superstition may be correct……seems to be common in SA…….and as you mentioned in other posts, names change frequently, further complicating the location…………and this is with the bird memory of half a map……

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Senor Crow, the names based upon local superstition may be correct……seems to be common in SA…….and as you mentioned in other posts, names change frequently, further complicating the location…………and this is with the bird memory of half a map……

Doc-d and that's the problem we do not know all the rules of the game? that and relying on raggedy old crows memory as a lot of brain cells have departed since then.:laughing7:

Crow

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Don Cuervo Especial,

Since you still have a word has not been translated for you, I thought I'd touch on all of them together for you.

Even though "El Tenedor de Tono del Diablo" translates to the devils tuning fork, my fellow Texan Culinary Caveman has the best idea as to what they were referring to. Even though pitchfork translates to "horca", or "horquilla", the devil carries a pitchfork rather than a tuning fork.

"Palia" is a pall. It is used by the Catholic Church in the altar to cover the chalice which is used to hold the wine for communion. You can google the words, and go to images to confirm it. It is possible that a simple mistake was made, and the actual word on the map was "Paila" which translates to pot, or pan. "Pailon" translates to a large pot, or cauldron. The reason I throw it in is because there is a waterfall named "Pailon Del Diablo" near Baños. However a lot closer to Zamura (around 10.35 miles due north) there is a waterfall named "Paila Del Diablo". This "Paila Del Diablo" is just two miles due north from "Cascada De Guayquichuma". Again it would seem more likely that a cooking pot would fit the devil better than a religious item.

You do have the devils mouth right, and it could very well be a cave, or sinkhole in the area of "Paila Del Diablo". This area shows very few pictures in google earth, it would take old people from the area to know where this cave, or sinkhole could be. Even the names given in the pictures of google earth may not be correct.:dontknow: :coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2:

Homar

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Homar, I've been giving some thought to the devil's mouth clue and wonder if it is referencing a volcano maybe dormant or extinct to modern knowledge? Thoughts?

Howdy Culinary Caveman,

Yes it is also possible, that hadn't even crossed my mind yet. The more ideas you have the better, one never knows what they were referring to, so if you find these to be in your search area, it is very likely to help solve the legend.

On the pitchfork, it may refer to the three canyons that merge below the "Paila Del Diablo". However that may only be seen on a map, not sure until one checks it out on foot. My other thought would be some ravines merging into one on the side of the mountain. That would surely be visible on foot, and there are some just below the same waterfall.

Wouldn't it be nice to see even half a map? :BangHead: I'm not losing any sleep on it, just having fun with what little we have, it's my nature to search the clues. I may have to get a patch for this some day. :laughing7: One over each eye would do the trick. :coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2:

Homar

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
Homar, Thanks for the laugh. I've got a fairly outlandish idea brewing about this one but I need to get it all down on paper before I start typing it out so I don't sound even dumber than I am. Should probably remove, what's Don José el Cato call it, Texican speak so folks can understand it better.

To be continued...
I owed ya one Crow.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Coazon el Oro: I like your idea as it seems logical however we are the mercy of what was on the other half?

Culinary caveman I await with interest.

I meet up with my old friend hardluck at the local airport and of course the old pirate does every thing in style these days arriving in a private jet. So I will be gone for the week end but will be back soon.

Cheers Crow

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The crow in a private jet………hmmm……me thinks they are truly successful treasure hunters…..

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Crow,

I'm glad to hear that you liked my ideas on your interesting story, and as the rest, hope you have a safe trip with your old friend. I have already shared this story with others, since they were talking about family members who can't get along. Yes I have even told some stories of the Chuntaro de Tayopa to my kids, and friends. I tell them he dowses with his pointy boots, that's how he stumbled on Tayopa when his boots crossed on him.:laughing7: :occasion14:

Just joking Don Jose, I have talked about some of your adventures to friends, and family. I do hope to see you get to open all those mines.:occasion14:

Culinary Caveman, if you ever make it over there, I wish you the best of luck. Life is short, and we only live once upon a time. At least you already have doc-d to show you around. :occasion14:

Homar:drunken_smilie:

Last edited:

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
Homar, I too hope to see that country someday and put some boot tracks on it. I'm shootin' for roughly a year from now as I need to save up some travelling cash and do a bunch of research. I'm certainly not gettin' any younger so I hope I can pull it off. What's the old saying? Plan your work, work your plan.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Good evening

Caught up with a few people last light er very late one even for old Crow these days. Don Jose I need one of you second childhoods.

Caught up with another old friend of mine. He collectsWW2 fighter planes. But his favorite baby is a vought F4U Corsair nicknamed whistling death.

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
My thoughts on the Corregidor's treasure. Please feel free to shoot holes in this un-SWAG, that is un- Scientific Wild Arse Guess.
The Corregidor's were gone by 1833. Ecuador declared independence from Spain May 24, 1822 and later from Gran Columbia on May 13, 1830. Zaruma was part of Loja province until November of 1882 when El Oro province was founded.
So who were the corregidor's over Zaruma until independence? Can one be singled out that may have amassed the treasure? Was Zaruma's corregidor based out of Zaruma or Loja since El Oro was not a province yet? Were any of the later corregidor's from Zaruma originally?
I believe that with the clues on the map and the answers to the above questions one might have a shot at finding this one.

To further add confusion I believe that this treasure might well include part of Quinara's gold that was to be part of Atahualpa's ransom in 1533. Part of this treasure was reportedly found in the Quinara valley in the 18th century by a guy named Sanchez Orinaja. If indeed this were part of the ransom why did it get moved so far from the source, the same question applies to the ransom Ruminawi supposedly carried from Quito. Why move it so far when Sebastian de Belalcazar is marching an army toward you. You don't. You ditch it when you can and get ready to fight. So... Is there one treasure near Zaruma? Two or three?
Thoughts?

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My thoughts on the Corregidor's treasure. Please feel free to shoot holes in this un-SWAG, that is un- Scientific Wild Arse Guess.
The Corregidor's were gone by 1833. Ecuador declared independence from Spain May 24, 1822 and later from Gran Columbia on May 13, 1830. Zaruma was part of Loja province until November of 1882 when El Oro province was founded.
So who were the corregidor's over Zaruma until independence? Can one be singled out that may have amassed the treasure? Was Zaruma's corregidor based out of Zaruma or Loja since El Oro was not a province yet? Were any of the later corregidor's from Zaruma originally?
I believe that with the clues on the map and the answers to the above questions one might have a shot at finding this one.

To further add confusion I believe that this treasure might well include part of Quinara's gold that was to be part of Atahualpa's ransom in 1533. Part of this treasure was reportedly found in the Quinara valley in the 18th century by a guy named Sanchez Orinaja. If indeed this were part of the ransom why did it get moved so far from the source, the same question applies to the ransom Ruminawi supposedly carried from Quito. Why move it so far when Sebastian de Belalcazar is marching an army toward you. You don't. You ditch it when you can and get ready to fight. So... Is there one treasure near Zaruma? Two or three?
Thoughts?

CC Some very interesting comments ya made.

Is part of Quinara's gold that was to be part of Atahualpa's ransom in 1533? I do not know...:dontknow:

One thing I may of been not so clear is the brother said he and their father came from Zaruma. This half document was only glanced at briefly about 17 years ago so forgive my poor memory. The Corrigador might of come from the then provincial capital in Loja province before Oro province came to be? The map half that I saw only all be it briefly had writing up the top with deterreo of sort and a crude map with diabo names as reference points or markers? Due to the condition and archaic writing style I could only make out about four words. With four words scribbled down on a beer coaster makes a hardly reliable clues.

As for gold belonging to Ruminawi I am not sure.:dontknow: from what I can see there was no mention of him on the half I saw. The half did not have the name of Corrigador.

Weather this treasure was made up of a combination of Inca and accumulated gold pilfered from the mines is of course anyone's guess? :dontknow:.

And that's the point for me it is always to open for too much speculation from mere glance 17 odd years ago of half a document. Hardly a great clue. So for me the yarn is more of a campfire story. Unless some one turns up with one of the map half preferably both or some sensational clue. The Brother worked with told me his fathers grandfather tried to find it with an Gringo which I assume to be an American???? i was never quite sure that was part of his resentment of gringos?

But please forgive my memory me I have been hell bent on destroying many brain cells since then.:laughing7:

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Howdy Crow,

I'm glad to hear that you liked my ideas on your interesting story, and as the rest, hope you have a safe trip with your old friend. I have already shared this story with others, since they were talking about family members who can't get along. Yes I have even told some stories of the Chuntaro de Tayopa to my kids, and friends. I tell them he dowses with his pointy boots, that's how he stumbled on Tayopa when his boots crossed on him.:laughing7: :occasion14:

Just joking Don Jose, I have talked about some of your adventures to friends, and family. I do hope to see you get to open all those mines.:occasion14:

Culinary Caveman, if you ever make it over there, I wish you the best of luck. Life is short, and we only live once upon a time. At least you already have doc-d to show you around. :occasion14:

Homar:drunken_smilie:

Hello Homar Its my pleasure to read that ya shared it with others as that is the importance of all such treasure legends. And perhaps an excellent lesson or family members to set aside their personal differences. Yeah Caught up with Hardluck and in keeping with tradition he blew me way with his latest research...Ya know when ya find some thing Hardluck does not already know ya punch your fist into the air and taste the sweet sweet smell of victory as it is so rare its almost like ya just did the winning touch down at a super bowl.:laughing7:

Cheers Crow :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread