The Tale of two Brothers lost map of Corrigadors treasure.

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
Yeah, did pretty well. Caught several largemouth bass in the 12-16 inch range, 2 around 19" and one at 22 inches that weighed 8.5lbs. All of them released to fight another day. I had so much fun doin' that I decided to get a couple of rifles out and check the zero on the scopes as I hadn't shot them in a while. My .270 is 2" high at 100yds and the .375 H&H magnum is 1" high at 100yds so they're both right where I want em. Nice day, even let the neighbor boy fish for a while and shoot a few rounds through the 270. Trying to pay it forward a little.

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
To get back on track with the subject of this thread I have a couple of thoughts/questions this morning.

Was the treasure hidden before the earthquake of Jan. 20, 1749 or after? This could be very important as earthquakes change topography and could really mess up the clues on the map. If the map is post earthquake then we now have a narrower time frame to work with. Jan. 1749 till the end of the corregidor's in 1833. Some 84 years which isn't much time historically speaking.

Did our ghost Mr. Everett Dougherty know Teodoro Wolf the German geologist hired to examine Zaruma's mines in 1876. Or perhaps Teodoro knew him? The time frame seems to fit. Are there any written accounts of Mr. Wolf's time in Zaruma? If so can they help us find the ghost or the treasure itself?

Thoughts?

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
Mi Amigo Don José, I agree with you. It'll do just about everything I could ever ask of it. Really like the performance of the 300 grain trophy bonded bear claw's out of it but they've sure gotten expensive.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi CC, reload them. this is where the . .375 shines, you can have a mild load squalling the old 38 55 which is adequate for any north
american game but use the full power loads In Alaska. The 38 55 is not a meat waster, it does not have the velocity to result in loss of blood shot meat.

--> Handloads.Com Forum: 375 H&H Lead Bullet Load

Venison to go with the coffee anyone ?

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
I'll have to check into that. If we're having venison I'll bring a blackberry gastrique for it.

I've noticed that my 300 grain slugs don't seem to cause as much tissue damage on light skinned animals as 130 grain soft points do out of my 270. I believe Elmer Keith said years ago with the 375 you can eat right up to the bullet hole.

Last edited:

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
I've been doing a bit of reading about the niece that Mr. Dougherty supposedly married.

Marieta Veintimilla, niece of Pres. Ignatius Veintimilla, first lady of Ecuador. There's no record of her marrying in 1878, the only marriage I can find is in 1881 to Antonio de Lapierre de Cucalon. However it appears that the young, progressive Marieta did know Teodoro Wolf and there's evidence that she was not exactly chaste. For in 1879 she had an affair with a married man, Dr. Fidel Castillo. Her uncle the President appears to have been really irked by this and had Castillo imprisoned and threatened with castration. A fate Fidel only narrowly missed as his wife pled with her friend the President for his release. After either 24 or 29 days, depending on the source, Dr. Castillo disappeared and was never heard from again.

Coincidence?

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola CC: Interior and external ballistics were my fort. Don't get me started. Incidentally Elmer Kieth helped me immensely on my pistol work while I was in The Border Patrol. I eventually settled for the S&W mod 29 in 357 , 4" barrel. Keith long range front sight.and carried it in the patrol and -over the western Pacific and my exploration in the Yucatan and the then relatively unknown Barrancas of north western Mexico'
/

Culinary Caveman

Jan 25, 2011
relocated to Wyoming
That's really neat, Don José. As a kid I read everything I could get my hands on by Elmer and also Jack O'Connor. I guess my choice of calibers today still reflects the youthful admiration I had for both of them.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been doing a bit of reading about the niece that Mr. Dougherty supposedly married.

Marieta Veintimilla, niece of Pres. Ignatius Veintimilla, first lady of Ecuador. There's no record of her marrying in 1878, the only marriage I can find is in 1881 to Antonio de Lapierre de Cucalon. However it appears that the young, progressive Marieta did know Teodoro Wolf and there's evidence that she was not exactly chaste. For in 1879 she had an affair with a married man, Dr. Fidel Castillo. Her uncle the President appears to have been really irked by this and had Castillo imprisoned and threatened with castration. A fate Fidel only narrowly missed as his wife pled with her friend the President for his release. After either 24 or 29 days, depending on the source, Dr. Castillo disappeared and was never heard from again.

Coincidence?

Some great research there. Well done.:thumbsup: Some things we will never know for sure. Mr Dougherty it appears was in some respects very expendable in the affair. It appears his brother appeals for help was lost in the change over of American consuls in Ecuador. How it fits into the story of treasure we can only make assumptions at this stage, Unless we can find a journal or more in depth information on the matter.

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread