The Treasure of El Pensamiento (including Ruminahuis stash)

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Intriguing mystery..

For getting humongous amounts of the shiny stuff what about the Ashanti belt in Ghana?

IPUK

Hello IPUK

There is much I do not have expertise on that to make a respectable comment. As for gold mining that would be best in asking the trio for that one. I am a historian and archivist with specialty Russian history. My main job was to archive in searchable order documents, book, charts they have possession in the collection. several hundred thousand pages of documents. Some original some copies from various institution and private family archives from all around the world. A treasure in itself and growing. Hard to organize when the trio will rummage through and leave it in a mess, It seems hard to teach old dogs new tricks.

Amy

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello CI

I got the same impression with the two authors as well. I was helping a group from Europe look into the whole Valverde Llanganatis / Atahualpa thing, but they were simply after free information and research.

It is extremely interesting as to what you do in your career. I am a civil servant here in England, but only part-time and am hoping to go full-time into this treasure malarkey. Have tried a few things out but not had much success but I am not disheartened!

Do you know about the Russian archaeological dig in Afghanistan that dug-up the Bactrian hoard? It was rumoured they had knowledge of a richer dig in mind but left due to their army's withdrawal from that extremely perplexing country.

IPUK

PS. Any word on when the chaps might make an 'appearance'?

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello CI

I got the same impression with the two authors as well. I was helping a group from Europe look into the whole Valverde Llanganatis / Atahualpa thing, but they were simply after free information and research.

It is extremely interesting as to what you do in your career. I am a civil servant here in England, but only part-time and am hoping to go full-time into this treasure malarkey. Have tried a few things out but not had much success but I am not disheartened!

Do you know about the Russian archaeological dig in Afghanistan that dug-up the Bactrian hoard? It was rumoured they had knowledge of a richer dig in mind but left due to their army's withdrawal from that extremely perplexing country.

IPUK

PS. Any word on when the chaps might make an 'appearance'?

Hello IPUK

Your guess is as good as anyone?

I am and their families are used to it. Here one minute and gone the next. They are as restless as the wind. You cannot help loving every minute being around the old pirates because they make you feel so alive. But even as much insight I have into them they never show all their cards. Just when you think you worked them out bam, they got you with another unpredictable twist leaving you clutching at ghosts. Always leaving you scratching your head wondering will they, did they, have they. while they appear like little angels.

They do not just walk along a knife edge they dance along it, with a little crazy grin and a little wicked wink.

Amy

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But I bet not knowing one minute to the next with the fellas, is what makes knowing/seeing/working with them, so alluring.

Even in this day and age, they manage to remain unpredictable in everyday things and that is what will always set them apart from they everyday standard public. The excitement, thrill, travel, risk and reward are what makes this special species of human being thrive. Most wouldn't last very long so it is testimony to their powers of endurance and willpower. That wily old birdy would have us believe he was/is semi-retired on his island idyll, but talk about legends, treasures, adventure, projects and suchlike, and you surely get his attention.

Super.

I know Crow has 'conquered' South America in his own way and that the Trio are well into Oceanic and Micronesian projects, it's very difficult not to admire their sheer thirst for further chapters to add to the story book. I think it's relevant to add that they have also given plenty back with their altruistic and philanthropic tendencies as well.

IPUK

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Unfortunately there is an old saying never let truth get in the way of a good story. Unfortunately Peter and Mark was more interested in flogging books than ever getting to the truth of the story. While Mark made a better book in my opinion, he still left glaring gaps in his research. The pensamiento story is still by enlarge unsubstantiated story. As for treasure on a island off the South American coast nearly every town on the west coast of South America has a treasure story.

As for the sultan yes that is correct it is allegedly in cave on hill on the main island.

Amy

Amy,

I'm a fan of both authors. I believe Peter did walk the walk, but maybe it was all made up. In any case, both men carry those who can no longer get their boots on, without help, into the adventure of the search. For me, that's all that's left.......along with my memories.

Thanks for your far-ranging posts.

Take care,

Joe

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our venerable Don,

Just imagine the stories the Terrific Trio can't tell us....:thumbsup:

I truly know now even Casanova could stand a light to you...:laughing7:

IPUK

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IPUK, For a bunch of dirty, scroungy X core drilers, they have done well, especially on the Dead horse thingy.

In anther 50 years or so, they can have the Tayopa complex --- with it's deposit of the where-with -all stored for the expenses of the taking of N.America away from the IKng of Spain, for which they were expelled from the new world and all of Spain's possesions. :laughing7:

est, at almost @ 1 billion $ yankee. They will have to access it, and clear with the Mexican gov't I haven't yet, so I'll need another 50 years. ---- my associates aren't paticularily miners or efficient. in spite of my telling them where and how :dontknow:

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear Don,

I bet being 'scruffy' is part of the triumvirate's cover. Sit them in a dodgy bar with the rough and ready or with a group of cold calculating lawyers in a boardroom, and I bet they'll kick a*** on all fronts. I know people who are at home in one or the other, very rarely wi you come across folk who can

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Transcend both.

As with the Dead Horse Mine, treasure-'researchers' can be unsuccessful many times but due to nature of the world they inhabit, they just need to come up trumps the once....

With regards to Tayopa, that is a fascinating one. If you ever need to hire a new associate or two, well....:happysmiley:

IPUK

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amy,

I'm a fan of both authors. I believe Peter did walk the walk, but maybe it was all made up. In any case, both men carry those who can no longer get their boots on, without help, into the adventure of the search. For me, that's all that's left.......along with my memories.

Thanks for your far-ranging posts.

Take care,

Joe

Hello Joe

Its my pleasure. Memories are as precious as any treasure.

Peter and Mark's book are interesting and well worth the read. And indeed many will get inspiration from them. I have no doubt all treasure hunters was a one time or another was inspired by a particular book? And no doubt shear enjoyment for those who no longer go where they would like to. While such books will always be an entertaining read, for a die hard researcher they are not generally the best sources for primary and secondary information sources.

While the trio themselves have their favorite treasure legends. They might not be workable under the criteria they subject them to.

The criteria is very selective and rather time consuming. Thus in ease with practicality and efficiency they research multiple legends until one will over time meet all the criteria.

If searching for treasure is not organized and planed under a effective business model then 99% of those search will in effect always become a failure.

Amy

OP
OP
J.A.A.

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
The Treasure of El Pensamiento (including Ruminahui's stash)

Hello IPIU

IPUK

Its a very dangerous place to be.

As far of the story as I know the treasure is still there? However in 2014 a group of Malaysians tried to recover it and it sparked a six day border war between Philippine Moro islanders and the people from Saba which is part of Malaysia as both parties hotly contested the ownership of the island. In all about 150 police, civilians and troops was killed.

That said the trio would be best to ask about that?

My apologies to J.A.A of diverting from the topic somewhat.

The el Pensamiento story is interesting? However there is many unverified claims that embed and and connect its fate with other treasure legends. It hard to know where the truth begins and fiction ends?

Amy

Amy-
Absolutely no apology necessary. My own apologies for not getting back to this topic I started (nor Tnet for that matter) for some time. Between a new job, a beautiful, growing, and vivacious almost 3 year old, and the attempt at my own bit of research into the El Pensamiento story during my spare time, I've been what some would say "burning the candle at both ends"!!

On a side note, I too did get a chance to correspond with Peter Lourie and all I can say is, whether or not his story is absolute truth, truth with a little glorification mixed in for sake of selling copies, or a complete fabrication, not only is his book an enjoyable read as well as a bit motivational, but he couldn't have been a more pleasant individual. He sent me a signed copy of his book (full well knowing I already had my own copy I was in the middle of reading) while adding to it a few of his own words of encouragement at the beginning. Just an absolutely gracious person, in my opinion.

Once again, no apologies necessary Amy. Everything and anything you add is always wonderful as well as thought provoking! So PLEASE do continue......That goes for you too IPUK!!!! You guys are on a roll! I'll hopefully have some things to add myself in just a bit.

All the best-
Justin

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
J.A.A.,

Lourie's book is one of my favorites. I was discussing it with my friend Paul, and he informed me that Peter was going to be in his area. I sent Paul my copy of the book and he had it signed and inscribed for me. That's the extent of my (peripheral) contact with the author. It's a good addition to my collection, but it would have been great to meet him as Paul did.

Good luck,

Joe

OP
OP
J.A.A.

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
Cactusjumper-

I totally agree; it would've been great to meet Peter Lourie. I'm of the opinion that it's always a good idea to try to meet the author of any book you've read or plan on reading, given the opportunity of course......in most cases, it should give you some impression on the general character of the author and, in turn, a much better idea as to the validity of their book itself.

During our brief correspondence, I found out that Peter was originally from an area not too far away from my neck of the woods here in Michigan. I told him to get ahold of me the next time he was in town and I'd buy him a beer (or coffee- his choice). Truthfully, I was really just interested in picking his brain on the topic of Incan treasure. Think about it....how cool would it be if maybe there were a few key facts/stories that he left out of his book that I could've gotten him to share with me!?! It's almost like good gossip; it gets the blood flowing!!

Though he did say he would contact me should he ever be in the general area again, in my honest opinion, I'm sure he was just being polite. I doubt he'd ever actually take me up on my offer, especially considering he doesn't know anything about me. For all he knows, I could be some crazed psychopath!! (I'm not, by the way......well.....not that much anyway.)

No matter. I still believe him to be a very pleasant individual if you ask me. And his book, the enjoyable read that it is, should be a wonderful addition in everyones collection.

All the best to you CJ-

Justin

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
J.A.A. you posted ---I could be some crazed psychopath!! (I'm not, by the way......well.....not that much anyway.)

Is that true? I thought that all 'TH's' were, including researchers . nyah AMY.:laughing7:

'Of course', I'm the exception.

My inpiration were Dana & Ginger Lamb, "Enchanted Vagabond" book fame They became persomel friends. Why I went on that extended exploration trip into the Quintana Roo jungels looking for Mayan ruins. Even found a small pyramid which was duly reportd to Mexico City, but I never heard of any action having taken place..

Last edited:
OP
OP
J.A.A.

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
Ok DJ- ya caught me! I'm an absolute lunatic...
But I promise you, when around me for just a bit, I'll surely make ya laugh your a$$ off!!

[emoji23]Cheers-
Justin

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Transcend both.

As with the Dead Horse Mine, treasure-'researchers' can be unsuccessful many times but due to nature of the world they inhabit, they just need to come up trumps the once....

With regards to Tayopa, that is a fascinating one. If you ever need to hire a new associate or two, well....:happysmiley:

IPUK

Hello IPUK

Ironic is it not, that its hardly known in public that the dead Horse mine as it was originally called by the dead German missionary prospector before WW1 was found with documents and treasure map.

Western Star and Roma Advertiser  Saturday 15 February 1930, page 10.jpg

The gold deposit at Lihir is within the Luise Caldera, an extinct volcanic crater that is geothermally active, and is one of the largest known gold deposits in the world. Most of the ore is refractory and is treated using pressure oxidation before the gold is recovered by a conventional leach process. Lihir produces gold doré. In the financial year ending 30 June 2015, Lihir produced 688,714 ounces of gold. Since production commenced in 1997, the site has produced more than 9 million ounces of gold.

With Gold at 1256 US dollars per ounce x 9 million ounces to date it on a scale that does ones head in.

Ironic is it not? That while some called experts and TREASURE BOOK authors on treasure claim no treasure has ever been found by a treasure map " Just sure aint been around" And I still see the same mantra told by academics and officials. It seems all too easy for officials and academics to write off all treasure legends as fantasy and pseudo history. Rather than risk sticking their neck out out side the generally accepted status quo.

However perhaps that is good thing...As there is a rare few WHO really knows whats out there for the taking.

Amy

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello IPUK

Ironic is it not, that its hardly known in public that the dead Horse mine as it was originally called by the dead German missionary prospector before WW1 was found with documents and treasure map.

View attachment 1287234

The gold deposit at Lihir is within the Luise Caldera, an extinct volcanic crater that is geothermally active, and is one of the largest known gold deposits in the world. Most of the ore is refractory and is treated using pressure oxidation before the gold is recovered by a conventional leach process. Lihir produces gold doré. In the financial year ending 30 June 2015, Lihir produced 688,714 ounces of gold. Since production commenced in 1997, the site has produced more than 9 million ounces of gold.

With Gold at 1256 US dollars per ounce x 9 million ounces to date it on a scale that does ones head in.

Ironic is it not? That while some called experts and TREASURE BOOK authors on treasure claim no treasure has ever been found by a treasure map " Just sure aint been around" And I still see the same mantra told by academics and officials. It seems all too easy for officials and academics to write off all treasure legends as fantasy and pseudo history. Rather than risk sticking their neck out out side the generally accepted status quo.

However perhaps that is good thing...As there is a rare few WHO really knows whats out there for the taking.

Amy

Hello CI

Spot-on with your comment.

Once someone with 'authority' peddles the old but tiring line of "it is all a fantasy/no treasure ever found with a map/R.L. Stevenson invented this map story about treasures etc., etc", many who simply have no inkling, have never stepped foot in the field, will simply toe the line and repeat it until they convince themselves that this must be true.

Here's a true fact for the 'unbelievers', the vast majority of seaborne treasure finds were made by using old sea maps from centuries gone by that detailed the general area they went down and were even helpfully marked on the treasure sea maps with drawings of all the wrecks in that area. It is fair to say that millions and possibly billions has been found this way. And yet more has been found through centuries-old accounts which provided crude, yet effective, maps of the site in land-based searches. Some simply things by assuming that "X" was the only way of marking the spot.

Trust me CI, the irony is not lost on me....:thumbsup:

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello CI

Spot-on with your comment.

Once someone with 'authority' peddles the old but tiring line of "it is all a fantasy/no treasure ever found with a map/R.L. Stevenson invented this map story about treasures etc., etc", many who simply have no inkling, have never stepped foot in the field, will simply toe the line and repeat it until they convince themselves that this must be true.

Here's a true fact for the 'unbelievers', the vast majority of seaborne treasure finds were made by using old sea maps from centuries gone by that detailed the general area they went down and were even helpfully marked on the treasure sea maps with drawings of all the wrecks in that area. It is fair to say that millions and possibly billions has been found this way. And yet more has been found through centuries-old accounts which provided crude, yet effective, maps of the site in land-based searches. Some simply things by assuming that "X" was the only way of marking the spot.

Trust me CI, the irony is not lost on me....:thumbsup:

One of the many things I have learned from the unholy trio, finding treasure is only one part of equation.

One should be aware of Just because you find some thing does not mean you have automatic rights to ownership of it? As The trio once joked with me once, "Getting to keep or negotiate an advantageous deal out of it, is liken to playing game of thrones." The Bigger the treasure the higher the stakes and the deeper the proverbial bear pit is.

Amy

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very wise words CI.

There has been so many cases where one individual / organisation has done the hard work, and due to a technicality or downright blatant greed, has then lost their find.

It is worth saying that always keep an open mind, have awareness of local traditions, cultures and social norms. Too much idealism can sometimes come to bite you on the backside if you are not careful. Don't always be too hasty to judge others or use your own comfortable paradigm to assess those that you meet and work with.

Having a clear and concise exit strategy with a back-up contingency plan always helps as well. Know your limit and walk away when it's a lost cause. Have learnt this from personal experience.

But............touching a 'virgin' treasure cache must be some feeling to have...:laughing7:

IPUK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread