Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
The first thing that popped into my mind when reading this thread was the thought," wonder if there are iron ore deposits in the area". However you mentioned an area that cover two states and iron is a common mineral. the Spanish were well versed in the art of smelting and forging iron so for me the iron door is not an issue just a novelty.

The canyons on the north side of the Santa Catalinas are loaded with iron in the form of black sands, which is quite a nuisance for separating out the gold. So yes there is a sizable amount of iron in the range. I have not done much digging on the south side but found less black sand where I did look, however there is black sand (iron) on that side of the range as well. You know the old Spanish saying about iron being the 'mother of gold'.

OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bfloyd, welcome to the thread.

I believe the Iron Door was simply a reference to the method of concealment not a door per say but a symbol of a door. The symbols was made of iron hence the name "Iron Door".

At the main campsite and entrance for the campsite is a large horse shoe symbol. The same symbol is depicted in three with three numeral "7's". The same symbols exists at the location of one of the mines that I've discovered. A giant horseshoe right in the middle of the mining area.

Since three symbols are depicted I assume there would be three more mines associated with it but I've only found the one so far.

Bottom line is the Alpha Symbol is at the beginning (Horseshoe) which is the same as the Omega symbol (Horseshoe) at the end.

Iron is everywhere so your right on that one.

The first thing that popped into my mind when reading this thread was the thought," wonder if there are iron ore deposits in the area". However you mentioned an area that cover two states and iron is a common mineral. the Spanish were well versed in the art of smelting and forging iron so for me the iron door is not an issue just a novelty.

OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of views here but no posters.

A Jump start is required.

Tell your wives to make you some coffee and spill your tails about the legend right here.

View attachment 1218329

lkay1

Oct 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill,

Lots of views here but no posters.

A Jump start is required.

Tell your wives to make you some coffee and spill your tails about the legend right here.

View attachment 1218329

I have some of my own info of "lost" mines and structures of the area so to speak. I should also note that I have visited them. I would be interested in catching up with you and sharing info and theories. Let me know if you are interested im in the oro valley area and am on the mt on a consistent basis.

OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Climbing up a mountain then repelling into a Canyon of Gold 10/24/2015
Hard hike in and then you repel down with a rope! No finds as the ground is to magnetic. Still recovering from the hike and the heat. Had a lot of gear.
I never thought I would ever make it there again after my foot operation! Still have two Morton's neuroma's one on each foot so it was painful, but, I still enjoyed the trip!

View attachment 1227837 View attachment 1227839

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Bill

Great pictures.

I had a growth spur on the back my heel and that was painful enough. My crew thought I was limping around like Captain Ahab.

In regards to Iron mine door stories the earliest I have is newspaper article dating back to 1884. However I am sure there are others out there? Many most like unprofitable Anglo mines however I would not rule out some being earlier Spanish Mexican mines either. I posted the 1884 in Jesuit thread.

Cheers Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Bill

Great pictures.

I had a growth spur on the back my heel and that was painful enough. My crew thought I was limping around like Captain Ahab.

In regards to Iron mine door stories the earliest I have is newspaper article dating back to 1884. However I am sure there are others out there? Many most like unprofitable Anglo mines however I would not rule out some being earlier Spanish Mexican mines either. I posted the 1884 in Jesuit thread.

Cheers Kanacki

OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had Plantar Fasciitis years ago and an ingrown toe nail ouch! Ever since I broke my ankle and tore my foot from the bone I've had a burning under my middle toe that reaches up to my ankle joint. I always thought it was part of the injury until my Daughter had a Morton's Neuroma removed and came over yesterday. She showed me what it was and bingo from her symptoms I knew instantly what I had! I have a neuroma on the other foot (Left) that's been giving me fits for years and never knew what it was!

I'd stopped wearing my Rangler Riding Boots long ago because of it. Makes it hard to look authentic when walking the board walk during El Dorado days in Tombstone! I went this year and we hit every bar in town about nine, I think,...hell...I don't remember! Ended up at Johnny Ringo's and Crazy Annies!

The next day one of the Actors shot two people with a loaded cylinder of black powder and lead so we just missed that show!
I needed that day so we could, ah, rest. (Hung over)

What a good time we had though!

Foot problems are painful! Now I have to go through another operation. After repelling and climbing back out of that canyon my middle toe felt like someone just hit it with a red hot branding iron!

Hola Bill

Great pictures.

Cheers Kanacki

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill,in that picture of your post #47. Was all the stone work done by the Jesuits? I can see it on both sides of the canyon.
Bob

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

S

stefen

I recall a similar legend of a steel doored cave in the Grand Canyon.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any legends east of the Mississippi River. Most you read is west

OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob, What your seeing there is a conglomerate of ancient mud with gravel in various stages of flooding that has solidified into almost solid rock from time and pressure. You can see various layers of different sized gravel from many types of flooding.

Most of southern Arizona was once a rift valley or inland sea. This why our rivers run North down here instead of south. I suppose this was once an ancient river and the erosion of mud and gravel came down from the mountain river into the sea. It looks almost man made though in the picture like adobe.

Bill,in that picture of your post #47. Was all the stone work done by the Jesuits? I can see it on both sides of the canyon.
Bob

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I'm referring to Bill is . When you look at the first photo. Where the sunlight is on the rock. I see the 7s at the top of what looks a depression. There more by that's easier to see.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mentioned the 3s and 7s. What about 5s? I see around here 333, 555, 777. The threes and sevens I understand but not the fives. Do you know of this

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not know your rivers ran north. The St . John's in FL. Does that also. Thanks for that info. Bill.

Bob

OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There sure is just do the research you'll find a lot.

The town I grew up in has legends of Jesse James and his gang hiding out and depositing loot in Mark Twains cave, a cave system that goes clear under the town it's located near. Many have died in those caves as most of it is unexplored so new area's with many rooms in each section confuses the best Spelunkers.

Is there any legends east of the Mississippi River. Most you read is west

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bill. Will do. By the way nice place you got there.

Bob

OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I see what you're referring to. Sorry I assumed something else. This area was explored by the Spanish Miners as you can see some markers and profile faces in the rock cliffs on each side of the canyon. What's very exciting in both of those photo's is the fact under every one of those boulders you can move it has Gold! Not old dull copper gold but shiny 24 caret gold! Problem is you either have to pan it or sluice it (No water) or dry wash it to get it out of there.

What I'm referring to Bill is . When you look at the first photo. Where the sunlight is on the rock. I see the 7s at the top of what looks a depression. There more by that's easier to see.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread