Mill Springs Battle area (Battle of Somerset)

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On January 19, 1862, Union forces led by Brig. Gen. George H. Thomas met and defeated Rebel forces under the command of Maj. Gen. George B. Crittenden in a battle in which Confederate Brig. Gen. Felix K. Zollicoffer was killed. The Confederate defeat at Mill Springs led to the collapse of Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston's defensive line in Kentucky, and forced Confederate authorities to alter their western strategy. Additionally, the Battle of Mill Springs was one of a string of Confederate setbacks, preceded by Middle Creek nine days earlier and followed by the Battles at Forts Henry and Donelson, that eventually culminated in the Battle of Shiloh in April 1862. These events resulted in Union control of Kentucky and most of West Tennessee.

These pics are of the Mill Springs area and a house that was once a Confederate hospital during this Battle.

I went down in this area the other day, checking out some sites, So I thought I would Share.

Nova Treasure

Attachments

• Mill Springs Battlefield area.JPG
    Mill Springs Battlefield area.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 405
  • westhous.jpg
    westhous.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 426

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looked that over myself very nice country.........................

KYBuzzBox

Apr 7, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, D2, 6x10DD, 4x6DD, Super-12, 8x14DD
It has been years since I have been to Mill Springs. There use to be a small confederate cemetery near old 31W. The battle field was off to the right of that cemetery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions