Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Very Rare "KGC" Revolver For Sale

SWR, why didn't you buy that for me? You know that I am a gun nut . sigh The .44 dragoon models closely approached the present .44 Magnum in power.

Don Jose de La Mancha

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't look like it was ever used. :tongue3:

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

goverton:

According to the write-up, J.H. Dance and Brothers manufactured this gun in Texas. They started in 1862, and based on an inconsistent numbering system this one may have been built in 1863 or so.

Perhaps the original owner didn't see active service (it is described as being in very good to fine condition). I'm thinking it could have been purchased by an older gentleman, as the KGC had largely done it's work by the end of 1861. At least, the first stage of it. So this weapon may have been decorated as a memorial.

The catalog mentions KGC Revolver No. 294 - perhaps that is the one uthunter referred to in another post.

I would not be surprised if this one reaches $75K or more by the time the hammer comes down.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

SWR:

Why do you think that? I think they presented the reasons for making that case.

Any seller is permitted a modest latitude in peddling her or his wares. I thought this catalog presented the information fairly and completely.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

SWR:

Thanks for the information. I looked at Wikipedia and I can not agree with you that the auction house copied passages from it.

I've got to take another look at Harpending's autobiography, however. I don't recall any mention of the KGC in it - but it has been some time since I last read it.

However, since neither one of us is going to purchase this weapon, the point is somewhat moot.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

Knocked down for $57,500 - including the auction house's buyer's premium.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread