OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
A real warrant poster is hard to come by Buckaroo. but here is the warrant issued for Jesse in 1875 with a link so you can blow it up real big and read it.. What is your point? or do you have one? jj warrant.jpg https://historical.ha.com/itm/weste...ouri-in-response-to-the-kansas/a/6110-44065.s

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I recommend Six Guns and Saddle Leather by Ramon F. Adams. It can help you evaluate some of the sources.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Images of the 1881 reward poster are readily available on the Internets.

Do you find being rude helpful?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
That I've seen no evidence there was a reward offered for Jesse James "dead or alive." The first reward I've seen evidence of was offered in 1881.

As for the Pinkertons being professional detectives, that is true for the times. But the bar is pretty low.

Alan Pinkerton proved to be a terrible spy - he saw twenty Confederates when there was only one. His "detectives" were largely hired guns and thugs. Later, of course, under his son they were strike-breakers for corporate interests. After the Civil War I believe Wells, Fargo had much more competent detectives than the Pinkertons. After all, James Hume found Charles Bolton. The Pinkertons struggled to break up The Wild Bunch - and they had a photo of the primary members of the gang.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
That I've seen no evidence there was a reward offered for Jesse James "dead or alive." The first reward I've seen evidence of was offered in 1881.

As for the Pinkertons being professional detectives, that is true for the times. But the bar is pretty low.

Alan Pinkerton proved to be a terrible spy - he saw twenty Confederates when there was only one. His "detectives" were largely hired guns and thugs. Later, of course, under his son they were strike-breakers for corporate interests. After the Civil War I believe Wells, Fargo had much more competent detectives than the Pinkertons. After all, James Hume found Charles Bolton. The Pinkertons struggled to break up The Wild Bunch - and they had a photo of the primary members of the gang.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

All very good information and I agree with most of it. It still does not take away from other sources like actual peoples statements from the period in question and this evidence that you may be wrong.
"Jesse James frequently visited a friend in Nebraska City. A resident recalled that Jesse, “with a price on his head, used to ride boldly down Central Avenue in Nebraska City.” One of the best photographs of Jesse was made in a studio in Nebraska City."

Link here to full story : http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~n...471&o_lid=0005643471&o_sch=Affiliate+External

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you believe that this symbol actually just stands for "We Never Sleep" or do you think it may have meant something else? Who owned the railroads, and who did they hire to protect them? Was he a lousy detective or was it on purpose when needed?
View attachment 1396308

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
"under his son they were strike-breakers for corporate interests. "

The Pullman Strike was a nationwide railroad strike in the United States on May 11, 1894 and a turning point for US labor law. It pitted the American Railway Union (ARU) against the Pullman Company, the main railroads, and the federal government of the United States under President Grover Cleveland.
Who was head of Civil Service during Cleveland's administration? Who was Sec of Agriculture? Why was the La Abra Silver Mine Co. Paid during his administration? THEY WERE ALL OAKS!

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Who do you think set Robert Todd Lincoln up at Pullman and groomed "the widow's son"? Did you know he lived a few blocks from Joy Morton and socialized with Joy and Paul Morton in private settings in Chicago?

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you believe that this symbol actually just stands for "We Never Sleep" or do you think it may have meant something else? Who owned the railroads, and who did they hire to protect them? Was he a lousy detective or was it on purpose when needed?
View attachment 1396308

Treasure originals 065.JPG Signed by B.L. FEW Desk Sergeant Pakestown Phili office???? B.L.F.????

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both of you are wrong. General John Singleton Mosby robbed a train in 1863 and there were other robberies after, many more. Mosby and his men took $300,000 in greenbacks.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
franklin:

Good point! Thge account I read stated the take was $168,000. The issue is the definition of "moving" train. Mosby wrecked the train first - a crime for which others were hung. At least one account states the passengers were robbed, as well.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some information you have is correct others I don't know about. You are correct about the $168,000 but no Mosby and his men never robbed citizens, the Yankees did and he ran them down and gave back their belongings. So you are 50/50. Also how do you know the train was wrecked easier to rob a moving train. I am quite sure the railroad had been around since the early 1830's so I believe a train was robbed while moving before 1866.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
franklin: The blanket statement that Mosby's marauders "never robbed citizens" is tough to prove. How do I know the train was wrecked? I read it:

MOSBY'S RANGERS:A RECORD OF THE OPERATIONSOF THEFORTY-THIRD BATTALION VIRGINIA CAVALRY,FROM ITSORGANIZATION TO THE SURRENDER,FROM THEDIARY OF A PRIVATE, SUPPLEMENTED AND VERIFIED WITH OFFICIAL REPORTS OF FEDERAL OFFICERS AND ALSO OF MOSBY ;WITHPERSONAL REMINISCENCES, SKETCHES OF SKIRMISHES, BATTLES. AND BIVOUACS, DASHING RAIDS AND DARING ADVENTURES, SCENES AND INCIDENTS IN THEHISTORY OF MOSBY'S COMMAND.CONTAININGOVER 200 ILLUSTRATIONS, INCLUDING PORTRAITS OF MANY OF MOSBY'S MEN AND OF FEDERAL OFFICERS WITH WHOM THEY CAME IN CONTACT, VIEWS, ENGAGEMENTS, ETC.; MAPS OF " MOSBY'S CONFEDERACY " AND LOCALITIES IN WHICH HE OPERATED ;MUSTER ROLLS, OCCUPATION AND PRESENT WHEREABOUTS OF SURVIVING MEMBERS. by JAMES J. WILLIAMSON,Of Company A (1896).

It would be odd, indeed, for the author to state that happened if it wasn't true.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people will say anything to sell a book. Is that the author Mosby gave all of his documentation to? If not just another author after a buck.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
HA! Thought this "Thread" was on JJ & KGC "matters". Waiting on two books about JJ & KGC by Dr. Roy Roush... coming SOON!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Jesse James & the LOST Treasures of the Knights of the Golden Circle, AND! Who Killed Jesse James: NEW Clues to the Old Mystery.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have already read all five of Dr. Roush's books and they are good. I also purchased his book where he served in the Pacific World War II in the Infantry and later as a pilot in Korean War. Great Man. Good Books. I lately read two books on JJ one was written in 1953 and the other in 1890. Still have them. Also read Templars and the Search for the Arc of the Covenant by Graham Phillips. I read it yesterday. Read an 1853 book today about Stonehenge. Love reading. Keep R&I Rebel KGC.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Both of you are wrong. General John Singleton Mosby robbed a train in 1863 and there were other robberies after, many more. Mosby and his men took $300,000 in greenbacks.

I believe "Moving " is the operative word Franklin, not that it really matters who was first except to set the record straight.

L.C.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread