L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
SOOOOOoooooo........ we are here now.

"Jesse James committed the robbery of a moving train on the evening of July 21, 1873, approximately a mile and a half west of Adair, Iowa. A "Chicago Rock Island Train" The locomotive tender and two baggage cars were thrown from the track. Out of the bushes came the outlaws firing their guns in the air and causing panic among the crewmen and passengers. Jesse and his brother, Frank, with .44's cocked, confronted the express messenger. He quickly opened the safe, was tied and thrown into a corner.

The passengers, slightly injured in the accident, were confronted by armed men masked in full Klu Klux Klan garb. Panic set in with women and children screaming and crying and men hiding their cash, watches and jewelry. All the loot was dumped into bags and the robbers rode off, uttering a rebel yell characteristic of the Civil War period. They disappeared as quickly as they had come."

OR

"Engineer Rafferty was killed, but there were two versions of how his death occurred. One report revealed that he had been shot by the robbers–another that he died from concussion when the car overturned.

It all happened so quickly that no one could confirm just how many robbers were involved. As some of the robbers emptied the safe, two made their way to the passenger cars where they threatened the riders to keep their heads down. After taking the money from the safe and ransacking the mail bags, the robbers jumped off the rear of the train “under cover of a half dozen revolvers.” Mounting their horses, they headed in a southerly direction “across the prairie.”

at any rate: Law enforcement agents formed a posse and went in pursuit of the robbers and in September, 1873, the Lafayette County Vigilantes Committee, "traced the train robbers to Johnson City, St. Clair County, and surrounded the house where they were supposed to be hiding, but the birds had flown. The band consisted of three Youngs and the James brothers. McCoy was not with them. There was a reported fight between the robbers and vigilantes and the wounding of one of the Youngs. It was believed that the robbers had started for Texas." The Rock Island Daily Argus, July 25, 1873, stated that "A telegram from Wells, Fargo & Co., at San Francisco, Cal. fixes the sealed package taken by the robbers at $637, making the total amount secured by the robbers $2,337. Of that, $950 belonged to the CRI & P Company, and was being transported for them." That is the largest amount stolen from anyone involved that lost money. It was insured. later on there were records kept of that sort of information. https://books.google.com/books?id=1a...losses&f=false

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It would be odd, indeed, for the author to state that happened if it wasn't true.
Happened all the time with the western dime novels of the 1880's and on, and with the many treasure stories that appeared in newspapers during that same time period.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Happened all the time with the western dime novels of the 1880's and on, and with the many treasure stories that appeared in newspapers during that same time period.

Erastus Beadle was involved in the insider trading at the first boom town in Nebraska of Saratoga with none other than future supreme court justice and K.G.C. member Danial Gantt the man that is buried in the Triangle compass point at Wyuka. Beadle had a mansion torn down piece by piece and sent by steam ship to Saratoga Nebraska and reassembled. The Missouri flooded and when it went down the town was three miles from it which was the end of it and Omaha Nebraska was born. Beadle went on to write the dime novels. Just thought it was interesting that you mentioned them.

L.C.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
franklin:

Perhaps you should look at the source before you evaluate it.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ECS:

No argument with your statement. Except the book in question is not a "Western" or "dime novel." It is a documented history of the unit, written by someone who was there.

That's why it would be very odd for the author to include the statement the passengers were robbed if they weren't. It hardly reflects well on the men he served with.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
L.C. BAKER:

Isn't that what "first" means?

When was the first bank robbery in the United States? Banks were broken into at night and safes cracked during the 1830s and after. There was a large such robbery in Manhattan.

But the first daytime "bank robbery" is generally considered to have taken place during the Civil War, when self-described Southern "soldiers" robbed the bank in St. Albans, Vermont, under the guise of raising funds for the Confederacy. There was an echo of that act across the nation outside Placerville ("Hangtown"), California, when Tom Bell robbed the stage at Bullion Bend.

One more thing in common between the two crimes, and perhaps of more interest (to some people) - what happened to the plunder?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
L.C. BAKER:

Isn't that what "first" means?

When was the first bank robbery in the United States? Banks were broken into at night and safes cracked during the 1830s and after. There was a large such robbery in Manhattan.

But the first daytime "bank robbery" is generally considered to have taken place during the Civil War, when self-described Southern "soldiers" robbed the bank in St. Albans, Vermont, under the guise of raising funds for the Confederacy. There was an echo of that act across the nation outside Placerville ("Hangtown"), California, when Tom Bell robbed the stage at Bullion Bend.

One more thing in common between the two crimes, and perhaps of more interest (to some people) - what happened to the plunder?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Frankly I find it to be an irrelevant trivial fact that has nothing to do with the big picture, like most of the stuff you waste your time and energy arguing about like a childish buffoon, but that is none of my business. :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I would like to remind you this thread is about Jesse James and the Knights of the Golden Circle and the common goals they shared and achieved as a unit for the cause. Can we try and make it not so personal and have pissing contest every other statement, If you have nothing good or bad to offer on the subject please keep it to yourself or go to another thread.....hell start one of your own and see if anyone will be interested enough in the malarkey to follow you there and argue about it.

:hello2:L.C.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
L.C. BAKER:

Have you found in your life that insults help you convince people?

As Ronald Reagan pointed out, "Facts are stubborn things." If someone can't get the details correct - oh, simple things such as when a photograph was taken - why would a reader be convinced of the presentation of the big picture?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
L.C. BAKER:

It is a shame you conclude my comments are "personal." Unlike you, I have been civil about the war and the events surrounding it. I have started a great many threads on TN - with well over 100,000 views and many pages of comments. I well one and all to join in.

I can certainly see why you are defensive about your ahistorical theories. I just didn't realize your little clubhouse required a secret handshake or password to join in. Perhaps if I were wearing a cutout Indian head penny in my lapel?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
ECS:

No argument with your statement. Except the book in question is not a "Western" or "dime novel." It is a documented history of the unit, written by someone who was there...
Ever read the story of CSA President Jefferson Davis being captured wearing his wife Varinia's clothes written by "someone who was there"?
Not many fact checkers in post Civil War journalism.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
L.C. BAKER:

It is a shame you conclude my comments are "personal." Unlike you, I have been civil about the war and the events surrounding it. I have started a great many threads on TN - with well over 100,000 views and many pages of comments. I well one and all to join in.

I can certainly see why your are defensive about your ahistorical theories. I just didn't realize your little clubhouse required a secret handshake or password to join in. Perhaps if I were wearing a cutout Indian head penny in my lapel?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

You seem to be the only one that took the "YOU" in my statement personal Buckaroo, perhaps a blanket approach is sometimes the best way to find a small target. LOL!

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I knew about the password and handshake, L C, but you didn't tell me about the clubhouse! :dontknow:
Whats up with that? :icon_scratch:

We are ALL candidates in the search for what they left to be used, I have little time for nonsense in my search so I try and get it over with quick and get back to what I was trying to focus on. A lack of focus in this hunt is like shooting a mosquito with a shotgun from a hundred yards away. I apologize to anyone I may offend or have offended along the way. SOOOooooo with that said I will tell you about the only club house , the rest were castles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aztec_Club_of_1847

aztecs 1873.jpg

L.C.:thumbsup:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ECS:

Actually, there were a great many "fact checkers." Perhaps you are not familiar with Battles & Leaders.
That was the whole idea.

The example you provide doesn't fit with the book in question. But why satisfy yourself with generalizations? If the book is in error, show it.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread