OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the replies. 5 a.m. here now and I'm thinking about getting ready to hit the caves again (day off). Sure wish I had my old metal detector back!! The cave with the initials carved into it is almost inaccessible. Last time, I literally climbed a vine to get in. And there is a fire pit at the opening as well. The only reason I found the cave/ bluff shelter, is standing on the ground looking up, I happened to notice charring on the roof of the bluff overhang ceiling. Anything I should look for in the actual fire pit? The stones around the fire pit are arranged very neatly, but still no evidence of anyone being there in recent years (no cans, bottle caps, trash etc)

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the replies. 5 a.m. here now and I'm thinking about getting ready to hit the caves again (day off). Sure wish I had my old metal detector back!! The cave with the initials carved into it is almost inaccessible. Last time, I literally climbed a vine to get in. And there is a fire pit at the opening as well. The only reason I found the cave/ bluff shelter, is standing on the ground looking up, I happened to notice charring on the roof of the bluff overhang ceiling. Anything I should look for in the actual fire pit? The stones around the fire pit are arranged very neatly, but still no evidence of anyone being there in recent years (no cans, bottle caps, trash etc)

Make sure to check the firepit stones for a pointer rock. DO NOT move any of them because you could lose the best sign. A pointer rock can point to a small cache or next sign to follow. Good luck.

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S.D. - I believe you may be right and started a collection of where I have seen those initials. I will try it in the field and let you guys know... but it might be after the ticks go to sleep!!!

Tinhorn I don't mind the ticks I get a few every year they are all over our Piney woods. It's the water moccasins and copperheads. Last year got one up in our yard. It was small but still it could kill you deader than a hammer.

S.D.

tinhorn

Jul 28, 2011
I don't know what town Dardenelle rock is close to, but I have found L.B., S.C., R.R., D.H., C.C., L.S. to be initials that we keep finding. I have found most of these in northeastern oklahoma and north west arkansas. Jeppeson has some good material, and lists your 90 degree idea, which i thought was interesting. It would also be interesting to know if castles had initials they identified themselves with.

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some reading yesterday, and the paint used in the arrow, closely matches pictographs made by the Spanish hundreds of years ago. No way to describe the paint color, other than berry color. Mix between red and magenta. And I have learned that I am where Hernando Desoto explored Arkansas before he died in the 1540's

Attachments

• 1469533961474.jpg
    1469533961474.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 285
OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some reading yesterday, and the paint used in the arrow, closely matches pictographs made by the Spanish hundreds of years ago. No way to describe the paint color, other than berry color. Mix between red and magenta. And I have learned that I am where Hernando Desoto explored Arkansas before he died in the 1540's

And the arrow in this cave points to another bigger cave approx 200 yards to the west

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then it most likely is Spanish not a treasure sign but a marker for another party of explorers. Cool as ice!!!!!! If it was up 20 feet or so most likely it was advance scouts telling the main body better accommodations in the direction of the arrow. Forgot that De Soto was running around Arkansas and Louisiana in the 1500's. If I remember right there were two parties one at some point got killed or disappeared. At any rate it was a lucky find on your part.

Next thing you have to decide on is to let the state archeologist in on it or keep it to yourself. Don't let it go too long and either pass without telling anyone or getting so old that you forget were the cave is and can't get out in the field. When you reach Geezer stage you start to realize these things are very important. Myself I keep a detailed journal with GPS coordinates. My kid and I one day soon will have a chittie chat about all my old notebooks filled with what some would consider nonsense. A scene out of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade!!!!!!

Senior Deacon

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After spending the night not watching the democratic convention but reading six accounts of the Hernando de Soto expedition in the southeast part of the North America continent. I can bring some light on the subject. First the Arrow on the cave ceiling was made in about 1541. De Soto entered the southeast some where in what is now Florida. Traveled to just south of Memphis , Tennessee. Spent a large part of his time up and down the Mississippi river looking for gold. When he couldn't find it there he headed in land across Arkansas to what is now Oklahoma.

Then followed the Red River in to east Texas. The native people didn't like him as he was a brutal conquistador and most likely told him tales of places of gold farther west to move him out of their country. He when got back into the Oklahoma territory and most likely this is when you got the cave Markings. He did send out mounted Calvary units to scout better land and riches only to find poor native people who European disease and a great drought had taken a great toll. De Soto himself got sick and died around June of 1542.

His body was first buried then dug up and thrown in the Mississippi river south of Memphis out of view of the native people. Because they thought of him as immortal and this gave him edge. By then he had lost over half his company and they decided to head to the safety of Mexico. I did find a account of him being in the area of Ft. Smith, Arkansas so he might well have had a expedition in to the hills and mountains of eastern Oklahoma.

The French explorers followed the rivers the Spanish travelled over land. The Spanish took horses where the French took boats. The French were kind to the natives where the Spanish were brutal and wanted any riches they had. The French traded with them as the Spanish took what they wanted. The French were more successful in their explorations and got more land and had more influence on the north America continent.

Hope this brings us all up to speed on the subject. Maybe puts to a end some of the early treasure tales of this part of the country.

Senior Deacon

treasure_hunter_2004

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just wanted to add that the letter L does represent 90 degrees. is this cave at a 90 degree angle from the other it points to?

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After spending the night not watching the democratic convention but reading six accounts of the Hernando de Soto expedition in the southeast part of the North America continent. I can bring some light on the subject. First the Arrow on the cave ceiling was made in about 1541. De Soto entered the southeast some where in what is now Florida. Traveled to just south of Memphis , Tennessee. Spent a large part of his time up and down the Mississippi river looking for gold. When he couldn't find it there he headed in land across Arkansas to what is now Oklahoma.

Then followed the Red River in to east Texas. The native people didn't like him as he was a brutal conquistador and most likely told him tales of places of gold farther west to move him out of their country. He when got back into the Oklahoma territory and most likely this is when you got the cave Markings. He did send out mounted Calvary units to scout better land and riches only to find poor native people who European disease and a great drought had taken a great toll. De Soto himself got sick and died around June of 1542.

His body was first buried then dug up and thrown in the Mississippi river south of Memphis out of view of the native people. Because they thought of him as immortal and this gave him edge. By then he had lost over half his company and they decided to head to the safety of Mexico. I did find a account of him being in the area of Ft. Smith, Arkansas so he might well have had a expedition in to the hills and mountains of eastern Oklahoma.

The French explorers followed the rivers the Spanish travelled over land. The Spanish took horses where the French took boats. The French were kind to the natives where the Spanish were brutal and wanted any riches they had. The French traded with them as the Spanish took what they wanted. The French were more successful in their explorations and got more land and had more influence on the north America continent.

Hope this brings us all up to speed on the subject. Maybe puts to a end some of the early treasure tales of this part of the country.

Senior Deacon

That is very similar to the info that I found. Thank you for the research and reply. I am in Dardanelle Arkansas, right on the river. The cave I found the arrow in is approx 1/2 mile away on a ridge that runs along the river. The arrow is pointing toward the West. Soon as I get moved into our new house, I will take a metal detector up there.

DanielFrew

May 31, 2015
Dover, Ar
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately Dardanelle Rock is loaded with graffiti. So anything you find there might be a little more modern than you think. This is up on top.

DRock3.jpg

Dan

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iast weekend, I returned to the cave with the initials and this time, brought my bounty hunter detector. Absolutely no hits. However I did manage to take a pic of the fire pit. I will try to upload it

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like over spray in front of the arrow.

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I figured out what the initials are. Louis Bringer and William Lovely explored this area and were camped in Dardanelle to find gold for the Spaniards in the early 1800s. But why are William Lovelys initials reversed?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread