CONFEDERATE GOLD IN DANVILLE, VA. - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree476Likes

Thread: CONFEDERATE GOLD IN DANVILLE, VA.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2012
    Nebraska City, Nebraska
    4269 times
    K.G.C. Cache
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    That was one of the Mexican Silver Dollar Kegs we found at the bottom of a 23 foot deep well under a paved church parking lot. We found hundreds of pounds of band wire from boxes and kegs that had been burned in the well. The coins had been removed and buried, most likely hauled off in coffins to a burial in the cemetery.
    Definitely a good place to see the sites!

L.C.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear sight.png 
Views:	239 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	1612859
    Last edited by L.C. BAKER; Jul 17, 2018 at 07:28 PM.
    franklin, Kace and Rebel - KGC like this.
    "HISTORY IS A PACK OF LIES AGREED UPON " Napoleon Bonaparte

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    4792 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    The pieces of the keg where in the very bottom of the well so most likely some water stayed down there to keep all of it from burning? We also found three of the large brown jugs that contained at one time, Secretary of the Treasury George Alfred Trenholm's Peach Brandy. Two of them broke and one was in-tact about a 2 gallon jug.
    That's interesting! I wonder if the brandy jugs were down there to stay cool? I wouldn't think he would of just thrown them out...especially in that time. I wouldn't of! HA!

I like to know the origins and meanings of words and names... kind of an amateur Etymologist I guess....It goes along with being a taphophile! lol!

Anyway...Was or Is there an Island or a Lone Hill anywhere around that well? Or either one of those anywhere you know he was staying, camped by or had a connection to?

Folks back then knew where they came from and what different words and names meant....So for him...the second syllable of his surname 'holm' means Island... Even the name/word Holmes can mean that. Holm can be, but is less often used for Holly... but there are circumstances where it could be used to reference a Holly Tree...Very Uncommon though for that English translation. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered if looking for something.

Just something to think about if you're bored! lol!

Kace
    Last edited by Kace; Jul 18, 2018 at 01:04 AM.

us
    Professional Treasure Hunter

Jun 2012
    Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
    7111 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    A bunch of Holly Trees has information on them also. Each has a small amount of information about different areas of the treasure. You have to take and figure out all of them before you can get a good picture of the area.

Jun 2007
    14778 times
    A TREE WHISPERER! By Golly Gee! TREE Spirits TELLS ALL! Book, THE HIDDEN LIFE OF TREES by Peter Wohlleben is GREAT! A "MUST HAVE"! SUNNY out! Wife & I are going to SML State Park! Sunken City Brewery is a'waiting! AHOY! PIRATES Days at SML... 7/20-22/18. Pirate & his Wretch MAY go... heh! Grogg…?
    Last edited by Rebel - KGC; Jul 18, 2018 at 07:14 AM.
    franklin, L.C. BAKER, Kace and 2 others like this.

us
    Sep 2012
    Nebraska City, Nebraska
    4269 times
    K.G.C. Cache
    Have you ever seen any "Lee" trees, or heard of them possibly being used for a trail heading?

L.C.

us
    Professional Treasure Hunter

Jun 2012
    Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
    7111 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by L.C. BAKER View Post
    Have you ever seen any "Lee" trees, or heard of them possibly being used for a trail heading?

L.C.
    No sir I have not.

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    4792 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.

L.C.
    If you mean Lee as Robert E Lee... then yes I have.

Kace

us
    Sep 2012
    Nebraska City, Nebraska
    4269 times
    K.G.C. Cache
    Quote Originally Posted by Kace View Post
    If you mean Lee as Robert E Lee... then yes I have.

Kace
    Seen one, or heard of one being used as a trail marker, or both? Just curious.

Thanks, L.C.

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    4792 times
    Seen one, or heard of one being used as a trail marker, or both? Just curious.

Thanks, L.C.
    I've seen the original Robert E Lee Tree along with the Grant and Roosevelt Tree.

Down here some of the older folks call a Really Large Tree a 'Lee Tree'....

I've never heard of them specifically being used as trail markers though...except when giving directions, they'll say something like "Just past the Lee Tree you'll see the old Johnson place" type of stuff.

Kace

ECS
    us
    Mar 2012
    Ocala,Florida
    16146 times
    Treasurehunting & Historical research
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel - KGC View Post
    YEP! Rebs burned LOTS of stuff in Danville, Va. "in the last days"...
    My great grandfather was 1st SGT 10th NEW JERSEY, saw action at the Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Gettysburg, and during late April-early June, 1865, was a part of the Union occupying force in Danville.
    After mustering out and returning home, he bought a city block in Paterson, NJ, with brownstones that housed his extended family-uncles, cousins, etc,.
    I don't really know where that money came from, but I am sure the Union army didn't pay THAT WELL.
    Kace, franklin, L.C. BAKER and 2 others like this.

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    4792 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ECS View Post
    My great grandfather was 1st SGT 10th NEW JERSEY, saw action at the Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Gettysburg, and during late April-early June, 1865, was a part of the Union occupying force in Danville.
    After mustering out and returning home, he bought a city block in Paterson, NJ, with brownstones that housed his extended family-uncles, cousins, etc,.
    I don't really know where that money came from, but I am sure the Union army didn't pay THAT WELL.
    Sounds like someone found a nice cache!

Is that property still in your family?

Kace

us
    Sep 2012
    Nebraska City, Nebraska
    4269 times
    K.G.C. Cache
    As I have read, when Lee moved into the North with his men, there was a Bur Oak planted at every campsite they made. In some cases, I believe they were a little more special. They were called "Lee Trees" Some of them have historical markers like this one near Rainelle West Virginia. I think they were all placed on high points with a good view of the immediate area.

File:Lee Tree Marker.jpg - West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia

L.C.

us
    Sep 2012
    Nebraska City, Nebraska
    4269 times
    K.G.C. Cache
    The stories differ with the trees it seems. https://www.richmond.com/news/local/...039db0cc8.html
    Kace, Rebel - KGC and franklin like this.

us
    Sep 2012
    Nebraska City, Nebraska
    4269 times
    K.G.C. Cache
    Franklin do you know the truth of what took place during the time that Jeff Davis stayed in Danville for a week after fleeing Richmond in April?

L.C.
    Last edited by L.C. BAKER; Jul 19, 2018 at 01:24 PM.

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    4792 times
    As I have read, when Lee moved into the North with his men, there was a Bur Oak planted at every campsite they made. In some cases, I believe they were a little more special. They were called "Lee Trees" Some of them have historical markers like this one near Rainelle West Virginia. I think they were all placed on high points with a good view of the immediate area.

File:Lee Tree Marker.jpg - West Virginia (WV) Cyclopedia

L.C.
    I've always been told that Lee camped on the highest point he could....Hence Lee's Summit where Younger's are buried.

The folks that want to distance themselves from the confederate history of the town say the city (originally settled as Strother) was named for Dr Pleasant LEA. Makes No Sense...Look at the spelling. All the old timers from way back say it's named for Robert E LEE camping on the Summit.

This town has the highest summit in Jackson County... Storm Spotters use the area a lot looking for tornadoes now.

There are a lot of really old and very large trees in that area.

Is there something in particular you're looking for on a Lee tree? I'll run over there and look for you if there is. Time could be ticking fast as new sub divisions are popping up.

Kace

PS...There are not any historical markers in the Summit area here.. I just read your attachments. I have found mini balls there and a cannon ball at a battlefield site about 7-8 miles from there.

When a new city council came in composed of outsiders they dismantled Cole Younger's home and promised to rebuild it at another location... it sat in plain site right off a highway coming into town and said they wanted the land for a subdivision... then they changed the name of the annual town festival from Cole Younger Days to Old Time Days or something similar saying it wasn't right to honor an outlaw...ugh. However they wanted the cemetery to get Historical Status and used his name to do that. Gotta Love Outsiders that want to change history.
    Last edited by Kace; Jul 19, 2018 at 01:55 PM. Reason: PS

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links