CONFEDERATE GOLD IN DANVILLE, VA.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... Breckenridge and Wood were entering Florida from May 4 and traveled until reaching Cuba sometime in June...
John Taylor Wood was with his uncle, CSA President Jefferson F Davis, when both were captured in Irwinville, Georgia, May 10, 1865, by May 18, Breckinridge and Wood were both in Ocala at CSA Brig Gen Robert Bullock's home.

Last edited:
OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ECS;5876342 said:
]John Taylor Wood was with his uncle, CSA President Jefferson F Davis [B]TRUE[/B]

when both were captured in Irwinville, Georgia, May 10, 1865
NOT TRUE

by May 15, they were both in Ocala at CSA Brig Gen Robert Bullock's home.
NOT TRUE

See how run on sentences are not true. The way you say the last sentence, you are implying that both his Uncle President Jefferson Davis and John Taylor Wood were both in Ocala at CS Brig Gen Robert Bullock's home. I know what you meant but it is just not placed down in the right order. Also the sentence above it you say both were captured, President Jefferson Davis was captured but John Taylor Wood escaped by giving a Dutch Soldier two $20 gold coins. Please watch where you end one sentence and start another. And keep thoughts relevant to that particular sentence. Others will read them the wrong way because they are written down WRONG.

Screenshot_2018-07-21 Flight into Oblivion(2).png

I did the same with my post you quoted about May 4, 1865. I meant John Breckenridge from this map you can see that is correct. But I stated John Breckenridge along with John Taylor Wood and that as you say is incorrect.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-07-21 Flight into Oblivion.png
    Screenshot_2018-07-21 Flight into Oblivion.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
"25 miles east of Madison" indicates that Breckenridge and Wood were traveling east towards the St Johns River and connecting with river blockade runner, Hubbard Hart.
The map you posted shows Breckinridge and Wood in Ocala on may 21, and then departing on May 22.
What is the origin of this map, as some of the dates at some locations are questionable?
It looks like a variation of "Map of Florida Accompanying the Annual Report of Commissioner, General Land Office, October 2,1866 which was used to route the Davis baggage wagon train showing the locations of Plantation where they stopped on their way to Yulee's Cottonwood.

Last edited:

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
]John Taylor Wood was with his uncle, CSA President Jefferson F Davis [B]TRUE[/B]

when both were captured in Irwinville, Georgia, May 10, 1865
NOT TRUE

by May 15, they were both in Ocala at CSA Brig Gen Robert Bullock's home.
NOT TRUE

See how run-on sentences are not true. The way you say the last sentence, you are implying that both his Uncle President Jefferson Davis and John Taylor Wood were both in Ocala at CS Brig Gen Robert Bullock's home. I know what you meant but it is just not placed down in the right order. Also the sentence above it you say both were captured, President Jefferson Davis was captured but John Taylor Wood escaped by giving a Dutch Soldier two $20 gold coins. Please watch where you end one sentence and start another. And keep thoughts relevant to that particular sentence. Others will read them the wrong way because they are written down WRONG.

View attachment 1614209

I did the same with my post you quoted about May 4, 1865. I meant John Breckenridge from this map you can see that is correct. But I stated John Breckenridge along with John Taylor Wood and that as you say is incorrect.

I have the same problem with run-on sentences sometimes. ...but compared to the rest of my problems with writing, it's nothing. LOL!

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
John Taylor Wood was with his uncle, CSA President Jefferson F Davis, when both were captured in Irwinville, Georgia, May 10, 1865, by May 15, Breckinridge and Wood were both in Ocala at CSA Brig Gen Robert Bullock's home.

What is the source of this info ECS?

Thanks, L.C.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John Taylor Wood was with his uncle, CSA President Jefferson F Davis, when both were captured in Irwinville, Georgia, May 10, 1865,

by May 15, Breckinridge and Wood were both in Ocala at CSA Brig Gen Robert Bullock's home.

Breckenridge and Wood were in Madison, Florida on May 15, Ocala, Florida as the crow flies was another 115 miles further south to CSA Brig Gen Robert Bullock's home. Check the map I posted above.

Last edited:

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Breckinridge also spent time spent in Iowa in his early years before he was the "guiding light." The town he spent it in has K.G.C. affiliation dating to that same period of time.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
What is the source of this info ECS?

Thanks, L.C.

The accounts of Benjamin, Breckinridge, and Wood's stay in Ocala came from the eyewitness diaries of Julia Simmons Haisley and Maria Baker Taylor, who gather spiderwebs that were used as bandages for the cause, the editor of the OCALA STAR BANNER who wrote a weekly Ocala history column, especially during the 100th anniversary of the War of Northern Aggression, and passed down stories from descendants that lived it. Also the journal of Jasper Dykes, one CSA Capt JJ Dickison men.
In 1958, when I came to Ocala, the entire population of Marion county was barely 51,000( many 3rd & 4th generation), and once out of downtown proper, many of the roads were either crushed limerock or dirt.
The Civil War Years - News - Ocala.com - Ocala, FL
On page 39 of IMAGES OF AMERICA-OCALA, is a photo of CSA Brig Gen Robert Bullock's home and a reference to Breckinridge's stay.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I tend to believe A.J. Hannah, May 21, 1865.

Rollins College Professor Alfred Jackson Hanna was the son of 1840's Florida pioneers.
His 1938, FLIGHT INTO OBLIVION was the first book, outside of Jefferson Davis's account to address the escape of members of the CSA Cabinet.
While a very easy and entertaining read it has been deemed by later Civil War historians as NOT the most authoritative or accurate account as he embellished many details with "intuited" information.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rollins College Professor Alfred Jackson Hanna was the son of 1840's Florida pioneers.
His 1938, FLIGHT INTO OBLIVION was the first book, outside of Jefferson Davis's account to address the escape of members of the CSA Cabinet.
While a very easy and entertaining read it has been deemed by later Civil War historians as NOT the most authoritative or accurate account as he embellished many details with "intuited" information.

Beautiful Writer though.

Apr 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still believe there is a treasure in Danville, but it's.
not buried in the cemetery! Everyone wants
you to believe this. It measured 38x38!

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still believe there is a treasure in Danville, but it's.
not buried in the cemetery! Everyone wants
you to believe this. It measured 38x38!

When you say not buried in the cemetery, you would be wrong. There is over $8 Million in specie split into two depositories in two separate cemeteries. Then there is the Mexican Silver Dollars buried in another cemetery.

Apr 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's 3 depositories! How would the masons have time
To do all this? Just thought was buried in 1 location

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread