PoplarHill

Jan 20, 2014
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would love some opinions on this.
I spend a lot of time searching old pre 1900 cemeteries here in Northern Alabama for genealogy and historic hobbies. I notice an abnormally large amount of random letters or numbers either backwards or upside down on tombstones. Sometimes it's a letter in a name or epitaph or a number in the date and usually only one mistake on a single tombstone. Death dates usually range from 1830's-1880s. I know of literally dozens, if not more than 100, such graves with this type error and just find it hard to fathom that stone carvers would make that many of the same type mistake on something hand carved and labor intensive.
Do you guys know anything about this phenomenon? Is it some type of code or done purposely or just an odd common mistake for the era? I will try and upload a picture for reference.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PoplarHill

PoplarHill

Jan 20, 2014
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FB_IMG_1577756579572.jpg

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably not knowing how to read or write. Or dyslexic.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Would love some opinions on this.
I spend a lot of time searching old pre 1900 cemeteries here in Northern Alabama for genealogy and historic hobbies. I notice an abnormally large amount of random letters or numbers either backwards or upside down on tombstones. Sometimes it's a letter in a name or epitaph or a number in the date and usually only one mistake on a single tombstone. Death dates usually range from 1830's-1880s. I know of literally dozens, if not more than 100, such graves with this type error and just find it hard to fathom that stone carvers would make that many of the same type mistake on something hand carved and labor intensive.
Do you guys know anything about this phenomenon? Is it some type of code or done purposely or just an odd common mistake for the era? I will try and upload a picture for reference.
More "pics"...?

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
In Northwest Iowa, the Original Land Surveyor (the first guy to lay out that certain area), had a Survey Crew member who was illiterate. The Surveyor made a template for the guy who couldn't read so he could mark the Quarter Corners with a 1/4 upon the stones they set. Unfortunately, he still sometimes got the template backwards. Could it be something like that? Good luck.

dougward5

Aug 30, 2014
ALABAMA
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do not know about the backwards lettering but I can tell you that in one old cemetery in Dallas County there is a map on one grave that leads to an old cave. The cave turned out to have been used as a stopover on the way to old cahawba prison. Yankees prisoners were locked in the cave for short periods of time. The grave next to the one with the map was broken into back in the 1960s. Witnesses claimed someone involved was shot and tossed in the back of a pickup truck but no body was ever found. There is also someone buried in the same plot who's uncle dug up what would be today millions in gold from a map inherited from his grandfather.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
In the absence of other clues, I believe backwards letters/numbers was just a stylistic choice or trend of the times. The Brits and the Europeans did it too.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Doesn't seem to make any sense. I wonder if there is an old folk belief behind it? Very puzzling.
dts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread