Ever have a strong signal but no target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
fenixdigger

fenixdigger

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
Aurora Aqua, Excalibur, Garrett CX2, Gemini-3, MFD's, Sovereign, Viper, E Trac, Dees Nutz rod, Tesoro Sand Shark. Pro pulse.
Two ways to stop that. First is to stand on it for a few minutes. Secondly, when you get a "line" walk on it a few feet and take your foot or a shovel and scuff the ground real good. When you stand on it, that "drains" the power and it will take a while for it to build back. A real target won't have a delay. Scuffing it breaks it up and again a delay in reforming.
We found that once the hole is opened, it is stronger than a real one close to it. That being said, Rich did you look around that one for a second one? Also one of the old tricks was to bury the big one deeper than the small one in the same hole.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Fenix,
That particular one was being searched for in a specific area with good info. The group searching suddenly quit looking and
showed up with some new vehicles about the time I found the fresh hole. No signal on the detectors, I am pretty sure it
is gone. Incidentally the signal is now gone also.

OP
OP
fenixdigger

fenixdigger

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
Aurora Aqua, Excalibur, Garrett CX2, Gemini-3, MFD's, Sovereign, Viper, E Trac, Dees Nutz rod, Tesoro Sand Shark. Pro pulse.
I was chasing the path that Jeff Davis took on his escape from Washington Ga and as I got to the Oconee River at Parks Ferry, I found their burnt wagon in a ravine. This confirmed the info I had. This info also said that they buried most of what they were carrying before crossing the river. I broke out my "gizmo" and established a line that I followed to the top of a cliff overlooking a stream. Found a nice big HOLE. There were trees in this hole at least 50 yrs old. My point is, how long do these holes hold the signal? Maybe the ground with all the quartz holds it longer. We have found holes that seemed to be much older than 50 yrs. Most of the larger ones had smaller holes very close to them. At least I got some hardware off the wagon.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
I hit one once that was 70 years old (approx). Buried in a circular pattern of holes. The holes are still there, but no loot.
Of course I don't know how long ago the recovery was. Is this an interesting hobby or what?
Rich

OP
OP
fenixdigger

fenixdigger

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
It's been dam interesting, but it's like looking for virgins. Being second don't count. the hole is there, but the gold is gone....

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
I think we could write a heck of a book on "Treasures Already Found!" and save others some headaches. Of course
I would want to get paid in gold coins!
Rich

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hell having a locator that only locates gold that ain't there.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Well Carl, lots of conventional detectors pass over gold that is there and it gets missed. Just trying to improve our odds.
Incidentally, I have found gold that is there!
Rich

OP
OP
fenixdigger

fenixdigger

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
I don't count the gold rings or recently lost jewelry that we find as real targets. The silver is great to find, but is not the main target. There seems to be a huge difference in long buried caches and the small gold items or the silver that we were finding before.
The problem is the earth. What happens after several years in the ground forms the "rings" and "rays". Getting past this is the real secret. As I said, once the cache is remover, the "hole" will have a much stronger "signal". You would come out better to mark all the signals and follow the weakest one.

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've also had this happen, usually when using real sensitive swivel rods. I found it to be a fractal geometric pattern, formed by water molecules in the ground. It reflects or sends your signal back. You can see it in clay clumps with air pockets. Always near the surface, and like said, kick and disturb the ground before you dig. It'll go away as soon as it's pattern is disrupted or changed.

OP
OP
fenixdigger

fenixdigger

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
We found that a jolt to the ground from a stun gun will knock them out for almost a minute also.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ah the famous "ghost signals" --often iron items totally rust to nothing --however the rust remains in a clump in the shape of its former self -- your detector picks up this rusted residue as "metal' until you dig it up and scatter it about then "poof" it just "disappears" now that its been broken up and scattered about --always watch out for "rust colored soil" -- when digging its the tip off to "migically" disappearing signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread