More about the new witness set-up

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand why people think a hand held locator is better than a transmitter and an L-rod. It's not nearly as effective. When you point a locator at a target like when you do a sweep, the amount of attraction is so tiny it is just too easy to confuse any other bump or nervous twitch you might have with an actual target. Even anything you cast your eyes on will give a stronger response than a resonating target. When you get out in the field this makes things bewildering.

Compare this with a transmitter that creates a discriminated signal line. Once you are aware of the sensation, you cross the discriminated signal line and get a strong body response. Maybe it's not the size of target you want (you need some sort of weight cancelling system) but there is no mistaking the response. This makes things so much easier to work with in the field, so much more confidence that you are on a good target. And when you walk up to the target the response gets even stronger until your whole body is vibrating, like a glowing light.

But the new witness can be attached to a piece of welding rod and used as a long range locator. It's lightweight, just probably a rubber can be wrapped around it to secure it to the rod. I will be doing some more work with it and the new transmitter I am working on and hope to have something very soon.

I just wanted to repeat that you need to learn how to use an L-rod before any type of system like this will work for you. Many people cannot get past the part about not influencing the rod. This is the hardest part of learning although it's not hard it just requires a large amount of self control. More later.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should add here that the hand-held locator rod does not pinpoint very well. From a distance the rod will point to the general area of the target but it will not get as close as a MFD type transmitter when you get up close to the target. That might not be a big deal if you are out in the country and there aren't too many other metal items nearby, but just try it in a city park and you will see if you are not within a couple feet you are very unlikely to ever find any gold. I suppose you could set up the MFD when you get in the general vicinity of the target.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
I should add here that the hand-held locator rod does not pinpoint very well. From a distance the rod will point to the general area of the target but it will not get as close as a MFD type transmitter when you get up close to the target. That might not be a big deal if you are out in the country and there aren't too many other metal items nearby, but just try it in a city park and you will see if you are not within a couple feet you are very unlikely to ever find any gold. I suppose you could set up the MFD when you get in the general vicinity of the target.
They make a good device to hunt parks...It is called a Metal Detector

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread