Is the Pit Mine really the Lost Dutchman mine?

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Vomiting is a sign of dehydration. Make sure you both hydrate plenty- not just water but electrolytes. Coconut water is good.

Been up Peter's Canyon a couple times- fun hike, but believe me, that's nowhere near the roughest country you can find in the Supers. If you took the lower portion towards Pistol Canyon, it runs alongside Malapais. Did you see the large "Peralta headquarters" cave on the right hand side?

Anyway congrats on your hike into the Supers. I just love being out there. Beautiful country.
its all pretty rough in there..especially with all the rain we have been getting...lots of good sticker bushes out there

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys just want to let everyone know I made it in and out of the Supes in one piece. Me, my two boys, and my fiance Molly hiked up Peters Canyon. Talk about ROUGH country!! I will post a few pics and I got to speak with Frank (sgtfda) on the phone and he is just an awesome person and gentleman. Golly it was one tough hike!! We had a Rattlesnake encounter, and spend the night in the canyon and had a Mountain Lion on us! No sh*T! Found some cool stuff. Pics coming.

It's nice you enjoyed the trip , even with the encounter of a mountain lion . A friend of mine , told me Peters Canyon has mountain lions , some big like a bear . They become little persistent in the presence of kids or small pets .
Another friend of mine , sent me a picture of a mountain lion while he was hiking in Ecuador . It's a big one , with background the Llanganates Mountains .

image1.jpeg

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
It's nice you enjoyed the trip , even with the encounter of a mountain lion . A friend of mine , told me Peters Canyon has mountain lions , some big like a bear . They become little persistent in the presence of kids or small pets .
Another friend of mine , sent me a picture of a mountain lion while he was hiking in Ecuador . It's a big one , with background the Llanganates Mountains .

View attachment 1647452
thats a big kitty:occasion14:

OldManOfTheRiver

Jun 15, 2018
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

View attachment 1647452

Yeah it was a cougar. I have killed one before and know what they are. When I go back I will be packing and probably go in another way. The dang thing was right on the tent and we were totally exposed. The next morning I walked up canyon alone a bit and saw some tracks and a probable den. We were right in it's backyard. Scary stuff.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it was a cougar. I have killed one before and know what they are. When I go back I will be packing and probably go in another way. The dang thing was right on the tent and we were totally exposed. The next morning I walked up canyon alone a bit and saw some tracks and a probable den. We were right in it's backyard. Scary stuff.

In those mountains , always a cougar is looking at you , waiting for a sign which will shows how you will not be able to defend yourself .

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
you didnt go in there without a weapon did you?

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah because we had the ancients on our side. :)

That's what happened to me in that video I posted! Saw tracks and I had no weapon so I didn't go in the cave!
It's a spooky feeling walking back out of a small canyon in a wash and seeing Lion tracks on top of your fresh tracks going in! I had that happen and it made the hair on my neck stand up for sure! The only thing the ancients were doing there was laughing at me!

First time in me life that my wife and I felt like a fresh can of "Kibbles & Bits"!

OldManOfTheRiver

Jun 15, 2018
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
That's what happened to me in that video I posted! Saw tracks and I had no weapon so I didn't go in the cave!
It's a spooky feeling walking back out of a small canyon in a wash and seeing Lion tracks on top of your fresh tracks going in! I had that happen and it made the hair on my neck stand up for sure! The only thing the ancients were doing there was laughing at me!

First time in me life that my wife and I felt like a fresh can of "Kibbles & Bits"!

It isn't a good feeling for sure. I lit a cig and blew in the direction that some***** came up. It was a juvenile I think. We had some sort of tacit agreement. It worked but we got the hell out of there. Totally agree.

Last edited:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Superstitions is not a war zone. Please don't make it out to be one.

Have you ever actually been in the Superstitions? LOL I have been shot at. SAR has been shot at many times. How many murders have occurred there? Sorry buddy, but the Superstitions CAN be a war zone.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread