Is the Pit Mine really the Lost Dutchman mine?

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim...when doing an assay you are only dealing with an assay ton (about an ounce of ore)..so the assay house might have just used a mortar and pestle to crush the ore...also i dont know how it was back then but ore of that caliber is called jewelry rock and is never crushed...it is sold to jewelers and made into gemstones and set in jewelry (or matchbox's..stick pins...cuff links etc )..my guess is that ore was never crushed but sold off to jewelers...the jewelry that was made from that ore could be still floating around somewhere and whoever owns it has no clue where it came from

Howdy Dave,

Bringing this old post back just to ask you about what jewlery rock is worth? I have heard that gold nuggets are worth about three times more than their actual worth of gold. Is that about the same for gold in quartz, and how would one sell a whole mine of jewlery rock without flooding the market for it? This had to hold true back when Holmes sold the candlebox ore, he could of gotten more for the ore is he could have sold all of it as jewlery rock.

Homar

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Howdy Dave,

Bringing this old post back just to ask you about what jewlery rock is worth? I have heard that gold nuggets are worth about three times more than their actual worth of gold. Is that about the same for gold in quartz, and how would one sell a whole mine of jewlery rock without flooding the market for it? This had to hold true back when Holmes sold the candlebox ore, he could of gotten more for the ore is he could have sold all of it as jewlery rock.

Homar
homar...big unusual nuggets or crystaline nuggets might be worth 2- 3 times spot price but smaller nuggets are worth spot ..and you have to find a collector or jeweler to get good money from big nuggets...jewelry rock doesn't really have a set price...it depends on the quality ..if it just has spots or blobs of gold it is lower grade..but if it has veins or webbing it is high grade rock and sells for a premium...it isn't too hard to find buyers for high grade gold in quartz...

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
As for the samples being to small for examination...I believe your buddy paul said he had access to an electron scanning microscope...The scraps i gave paul were more than adequate for such an examination...And as I have stated...I could care less what ya'll did with it...hahaha...

Good luck to you, paul, and all of ya'lls little circle of friends with ya'lls search for it...rofl...But then again IF it was truly worthless...Don't sweat any of my little jests at ya'll...lmao...

Ya'll sure won't see me at any rendezvous...I sure don't need any of ya'll as friends nor associates...And I sure as heck don't need the lost doucheman mine either...

Ed T

You could always talk to me

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could always talk to me

I usually do most of my serious talking with my shrinks...They pretty much believe that most of the little truths I share with them is part of my delusions...lol...After all...Who would believe most of my mining adventures that I share???

Ed T

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I usually do most of my serious talking with my shrinks...They pretty much believe that most of the little truths I share with them is part of my delusions...lol...After all...Who would believe most of my mining adventures that I share???

Ed T
i'd listen to your stories:dontknow:

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'd listen to your stories:dontknow:

Who knows...Maybe one day I will open up and spill the beans dave...But at this current moment in time I am not in any rush to speak of my little prospecting adventures...

Just like the one where I stood and looked to my right and saw a flame underneath the water mark and when I looked forward I saw, at the time what I believed was an 8, what I now believe may have been an infinity mark...

And the three beer story is one of the best of all time...Or at least in my mind...rofl

Ed T

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry John, but an SEM, scanning electron microscope, the proper name, would not help in assay of your samples, thats not what they are used for, you need an atomic absorbtion spectrometer, nice try though. :tongue3:

I have access to an SEM with EDX capability so it will work to at least get a general idea of the elements associated with a sample. I don't run it myself but have a coworker who enjoyed looking at things I found with it as well as with various other Analytical lab instruments including ICP, AA, Raman etc... Unfortunately he retired and the folks who run the instruments now aren't as interested and since it's a company, there are paying jobs that get priority.

I had one small piece of rock that John had sent me left after showing the other to Dave at the Rendezvous and someone finally took a look at it for me a few months ago. The only metals noticed from a handful of scans were Si, Cu, Fe and a few other non-precious metal elements. I didn't even bother to post the results here and frankly forgot about it until someone told me John was spouting off about me on the forum again. I have him on ignore for good reason but thought I would let folks know what I found from his precious sample.

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have access to an SEM with EDX capability so it will work to at least get a general idea of the elements associated with a sample. I don't run it myself but have a coworker who enjoyed looking at things I found with it as well as with various other Analytical lab instruments including ICP, AA, Raman etc... Unfortunately he retired and the folks who run the instruments now aren't as interested and since it's a company, there are paying jobs that get priority.

I had one small piece of rock that John had sent me left after showing the other to Dave at the Rendezvous and someone finally took a look at it for me a few months ago. The only metals noticed from a handful of scans were Si, Cu, Fe and a few other non-precious metal elements. I didn't even bother to post the results here and frankly forgot about it until someone told me John was spouting off about me on the forum again. I have him on ignore for good reason but thought I would let folks know what I found from his precious sample.

Hahaha...Oh well paul...you can keep the true results to yourself and your friends...hehehe

And I will keep the true location of where I actually got the ore from to myself and my small circle of friends...lol

Maybe one day I will try to make my way back to try to retrieve some more of said ore...I am still content in believing that I have been to the mining real where Platinum was discovered...rofl...Then again...I could be wrong...lmao...

Ed T

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hahaha...Oh well paul...you can keep the true results to yourself and your friends...hehehe

And I will keep the true location of where I actually got the ore from to myself and my small circle of friends

Ed T

Would that be E-Bay? :laughing7:

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad to see that you have a sense of humor, :thumbsup:

I am usually an easy going guy...Until someone gets on my bipolar side...lol...After that all bets are off...

Heck...I had even posted some of my ore up for bids on feebay...But there were no takers...Can you imagine???Ore from the original mines that the Spanish worked so many years ago...Heck...My ore may even be some of the same ore that the British confiscated from Antonio Ulloa back in the day...Can anyone actually put a price on such an ore???

Ed T:tongue3:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I am usually an easy going guy...Until someone gets on my bipolar side...lol...After that all bets are off...

Heck...I had even posted some of my ore up for bids on feebay...But there were no takers...Can you imagine???Ore from the original mines that the Spanish worked so many years ago...Heck...My ore may even be some of the same ore that the British confiscated from Antonio Ulloa back in the day...Can anyone actually put a price on such an ore???

Ed T:tongue3:
50 cents:dontknow:

OldManOfTheRiver

Jun 15, 2018
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys just want to let everyone know I made it in and out of the Supes in one piece. Me, my two boys, and my fiance Molly hiked up Peters Canyon. Talk about ROUGH country!! I will post a few pics and I got to speak with Frank (sgtfda) on the phone and he is just an awesome person and gentleman. Golly it was one tough hike!! We had a Rattlesnake encounter, and spend the night in the canyon and had a Mountain Lion on us! No sh*T! Found some cool stuff. Pics coming.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Hey guys just want to let everyone know I made it in and out of the Supes in one piece. Me, my two boys, and my fiance Molly hiked up Peters Canyon. Talk about ROUGH country!! I will post a few pics and I got to speak with Frank (sgtfda) on the phone and he is just an awesome person and gentleman. Golly it was one tough hike!!
which way did you come in from?

OldManOfTheRiver

Jun 15, 2018
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Went in from the Flats up Peter's almost all the way to Malapais and back out. My youngest son got sick from the work involved. We all had packs and he wasn't in shape. He threw up 4 times and my 44 pound pack went over 50 when the sleeping bag got wet in the slot/waterfall.

OldManOfTheRiver

Jun 15, 2018
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
43610032_2227174707557151_6459902487045341184_n.jpg
44842605_185469145675017_8377688440786911232_n.jpg
44824192_162939254658683_1858471016569765888_n.jpg

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Went in from the Flats up Peter's almost all the way to Malapais and back out. My youngest son got sick from the work involved. We all had packs and he wasn't in shape. He threw up 4 times and my 44 pound pack went over 50 when the sleeping bag got wet in the slot/waterfall.

Vomiting is a sign of dehydration. Make sure you both hydrate plenty- not just water but electrolytes. Coconut water is good.

Been up Peter's Canyon a couple times- fun hike, but believe me, that's nowhere near the roughest country you can find in the Supers. If you took the lower portion towards Pistol Canyon, it runs alongside Malapais. Did you see the large "Peralta headquarters" cave on the right hand side?

Anyway congrats on your hike into the Supers. I just love being out there. Beautiful country.

OldManOfTheRiver

Jun 15, 2018
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Vomiting is a sign of dehydration. Make sure you both hydrate plenty- not just water but electrolytes. Coconut water is good.

Been up Peter's Canyon a couple times- fun hike, but believe me, that's nowhere near the roughest country you can find in the Supers. If you took the lower portion towards Pistol Canyon, it runs alongside Malapais. Did you see the large "Peralta headquarters" cave on the right hand side?

Anyway congrats on your hike into the Supers. I just love being out there. Beautiful country.

Oh yeah. Almost spent the night at the HQ Cave. It's very beautiful there.

OldManOfTheRiver

Jun 15, 2018
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been puzzled by this. Never seen a picture of it. It may be nothing at all but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

interesting.jpg
interesting1.jpg

Anyways. It was a very fun two days. Going back in December I guess and won't have a sick child hopefully. If anyone wants to chip in on this graffiti that'd be cool. I don't know what in the heck it says.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread