Searching for a stone house?? Message from Dr. Thomas Glover...

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
WRM,

Which Sioux accounts do you put the most credence in? I believe it takes a bit more understanding of the Sioux and their way of life than their written words, which have been filtered through an interpreter.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo

No Joe, They all speak English now, And I don't read about the Sioux or there past. But the friends I have, tell me the way things are carry down by them from there forefathers and a lot is different then the way history tells it, including the battle of Little Bighorn, The last great Sioux victory and for the most part the only one they consider they won.

Take Care Joe

PS I've been tied up in a 1900th century house remodel I bought trying to get it ready for winter.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
No Joe, They all speak English now, And I don't read about the Sioux or there past. But the friends I have, tell me the way things are carry down by them from there forefathers and a lot is different then the way history tells it, including the battle of Little Bighorn, The last great Sioux victory and for the most part the only one they consider they won.

Take Care Joe

PS I've been tied up in a 1900th century house remodel I bought trying to get it ready for winter.

WRM,

It's unfortunate that you are relying on the accounts from people who weren't there, when we have so many from those who were in the battle. They would include the accounts of people like:

White Hair on Face
Young Eagle
Eagle Bear
Crow King
Thunder Bear
Little Buck Elk
Crazy Horse
Charles Corn

It's really a long list so I will just leave it there. Each of the Native survivors were interviewed and their accounts written down. I have them all.

"That's because All your books are one sided leaving out the Indians side of the story. I live right in the heart of the Sioux Nation, Lets see the Lakota, Rosebud, Oglala, Santee, Brule, Cheyenne, Standing Rock and a few more."

Before you jump on me for not doing a thorough job of researching the Battle of the Little Big Horn, you might want to educate yourself, so that we can have some kind of an equal exchange of knowledge.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo

Last edited:

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Ouch Joe!

That last part was as harsh as toke of home grown! But your the KING of research I'll give you that, But I believe I never ask about the past, I was simply saying how the Sioux relate to there past in the present as passed down by there forefathers. What they feel and believe to be true. Like the Whitestone battlefield just a skip and a hop south of here, It was a big victory for the US. To them it was a slaughter of 100 women and children and the four braves with them got away. That's how they tell it. I Interpreted it just fine.

Well off to the remodel

Take Care Joe

ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL' THEN CAME COLT!

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Ouch Joe!

That last part was as harsh as toke of home grown! But your the KING of research I'll give you that, But I believe I never ask about the past, I was simply saying how the Sioux relate to there past in the present as passed down by there forefathers. What they feel and believe to be true. Like the Whitestone battlefield just a skip and a hop south of here, It was a big victory for the US. To them it was a slaughter of 100 women and children and the four braves with them got away. That's how they tell it. I Interpreted it just fine.

Well off to the remodel

Take Care Joe

ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL' THEN CAME COLT!

WRM,

There was little agreement among the different Indian tribes as to what took place at Little Big Horn, even by those who took part in the battle. That held true even among those of the same tribe. A combination of the accounts of the Indians ands whites, as well as archaeological studies of the battlefield may give the truest account of what took place.

Too much bias enters into the present day "memories" on both sides of the debate. I am with you on the fact that Little Big Horn must be looked at from all available material to, maybe, reach an informed opinion. Many researcher are doing their best to reach that that informed opinion. I have serious doubts we will all ever agree. That's just the nature of man.:dontknow:

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread