Surprise

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Tim, Eric, Dan and I hit some rough Superstition country today. On your hands and knees through the bush super rough country. Uphill. Very uphill. Look what we discovered. You don't see this everyday. This mine was lost as one could ever be. Well was!

image-889201182.jpg

image-900722406.jpg

image-1497298610.jpg

image-317378284.jpg

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Nice find. Those old ore cars are tough to get home, but well worth it. Be sure to chain it down if it ends up in your front yard.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool piece of history - Congratulations! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Worked it out on a old map program that has trails the new programs don't. Not many have been to this spot. A friend knew the history and filled me in. Very interesting. You never know what you will find off the beaten track. My friend sad we did well to find that spot.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Built it on the spot maybe. That's what I would do.
Or,carried the cart, the axles and wheels on separate burros.
Or there is an old wagon trail there some where.

OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
The photos are also a test. Informed feet on the ground dutchhunters have visited the site. Not many. Well have you been there? I've heard a few names

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Tim, Eric, Dan and I hit some rough Superstition country today. On your hands and knees through the bush super rough country. Uphill. Very uphill. Look what we discovered. You don't see this everyday. This mine was lost as one could ever be. Well was!

View attachment 924948

If this worked, I was hoping that you would answer a question about this photo. Not about location, but the rock that surrounds the opening. It looks as if the earth at one time buckled or heaved creating an arch like pattern in the strata. My question, is this what prospectors look for, an almost fault like arch structure? I have seen this before but on a much larger scale near Tortilla Flat, and was told that a mine produced there at one time. It is confusing because I see them frequently here where there is no history of gold.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thats what I have always wondered. How could prospectors walk around and just say, ( I think I will dig here, and then they come up with Gold, Silver, ect.)
No MDs, or test kits, ect.
Unless they found a vein.

OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Quartz veins often branch, pinch and swell. A vein that swells will push on the surrounding rock. I strongly suggest you get a copy of Fists Full of Gold by my friend Chris Ralph. A mining engineer who writes for the Mining Journal. The book has it all.

OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Keep in mind in areas with strong folding of rocks can create faults and other openings that lead to the formation of gold veins. The hot solutions that form gold can travel and circulate in these fault zones allowing veins to form

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Posted this before, but here goes. Worked with an old man in the 60's that told me he and a partner had a sheelite mine in the Superstitions back in the 30's. Drew me a map from Weaver's needle of three canyons(small draws) and I took a friend and went searching. Found his mine in canyon to the right and then searched for LDM that he was sure was in adjacent canyon and guarded by Apache guards with federal badges who left him alone because he was a mine owner and didn't bother them. I went into that canyon too. 2/3 up and a ways in you could(if you just looked) see what looked like a slide area. Never picked through it, never explored it or the third canyon on the left. Point being that I never believed that gold is there, but obviously sheelite(tungsten ore) is or was. Other stuff too. Lots of mines in the area. Most located on topo map, some not. Never wanted more than adventure, never needed money(family had it). Just a hippy having fun. Still am...

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that's what I've heard called the Lost Ore Cart mine - not an official name but what I've heard it called. I think there's a photo and small description of it in Jesse Feldman's book and I think a mention of it in Jack Carlson and Elizabeth Stewarts hiking book. I know a few people who have been to it - forgot to mention when I knew you guys were going out there that it was in that general area or at least along the way. Nice find!

OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Paul has passed 1/2 of the test. What's the real name or in this case names of the mine? Oh! I would not describe this location as along the way.

Last edited:

elgatodelnoche

Aug 21, 2013
East Mesa, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker ADS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thats what I have always wondered. How could prospectors walk around and just say, ( I think I will dig here, and then they come up with Gold, Silver, ect.)
No MDs, or test kits, ect.
Unless they found a vein.
Before metal detectors people used dowsing. Sometimes to very good effect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread