Maps

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Hal

Guess what could be the yellow line on the Malapais .

View attachment 1167026
Well, it looks like the old high trail into Peters Canyon. If you haven't done it yet, I suggest that you take a wide brimmed hat and extra, extra, H2o. And lemon seeds. That hike in the summer will kill you if you are not prepared. Didn't cactusjumper start a post on that trail?

Now, my turn. And NO cheating. Tell me what lies between your yellow and blue/green lines?

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432702373.773909.jpg

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it looks like the old high trail into Peters Canyon. If you haven't done it yet, I suggest that you take a wide brimmed hat and extra, extra, H2o. And lemon seeds. That hike in the summer will kill you if you are not prepared. Didn't cactusjumper start a post on that trail?

Now, my turn. And NO cheating. Tell me what lies between your yellow and blue/green lines?

Hal

You mean the heart shape ? It's like many other in the Superstitions .
I don't have any question for guess . Game over . You won .

PS

If you believe there is the funel mine with the tunnel below , IMO you are wrong but not afar . Remenber , the river never runs back .

Last edited:

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Hal

You mean the heart shape ? It's like many other in the Superstitions .
I don't have any question for guess . Game over . You won .

PS

If you believe there is the funel mine with the tunnel below , IMO you are wrong but not afar . Remenber , the river never runs back .
No, not the heart shape. The question was, what can be found between the yellow and blue green lines?
Come to Arizona one day and if you are in good physical shape, and ready for adventure, we can make that climb together. It's a hard one.

Its not about winning markmar. It's about learning and the experience.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Hal,

Not many people are aware of that trail. I'm impressed that you were paying that close attention so many years ago.

Take care,

Joe

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, not the heart shape. The question was, what can be found between the yellow and blue green lines?
Come to Arizona one day and if you are in good physical shape, and ready for adventure, we can make that climb together. It's a hard one.

Its not about winning markmar. It's about learning and the experience.

Hal

In a treasure hunting project ( which starts with the story , clues and maps ) , usually I learn only about what could helps me to approach the target , like the relief , vegetation and water supplies . Not time to lose with other activities , like to take photos of bugs and plants and to enjoy the beauty of the scenes .
So , if you know what is between the lines , tell me and if it's worth to see , the next time I will give a look .

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Hal

In a treasure hunting project ( which starts with the story , clues and maps ) , usually I learn only about what could helps me to approach the target , like the relief , vegetation and water supplies . Not time to lose with other activities , like to take photos of bugs and plants and to enjoy the beauty of the scenes .
So , if you know what is between the lines , tell me and if it's worth to see , the next time I will give a look .

That's so funny. How did you know that I was going to write bugs, plants, and incredible views.
Oh, and stuff.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's so funny. How did you know that I was going to write bugs, plants, and incredible views.
Oh, and stuff.

I was talking about me . I don't know what l can find there . May be a Michelin tires advertising balloon . So , tell me .

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a side note. Did you know that Father Kino was towed up river while seated in a small basket? Can you imaging?

I can't imagine.

In what river did this take place?

What type of basket was used, was it made of soaked reeds, dried sea grass, and/or with wooden accents. Any combination of these materials can be combined together to make a wide variety of basket shapes, sizes, and styles. Was he actually seated in a small basket or is that just a metaphor. Basketry techniques revealed by the finds from this period are impressive and complex and provides us with a glimpse into the daily-life objects used in this period, and a window into the technology.

Are there any pictures of said basket that may reveal a clue "such as a map" woven into the basket itself to indicate as to what Father Kino was actually doing being towed down said river?

As well who and what was doing the towing.

Was he looking for something along the shore line such as a symbol?

Was he a Jesuit?

As a student of the study of the ancient world I am interested if you were to clarify what was going on here.

Hello Hal, a little help here please.

Last edited:

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I can't imagine.

In what river did this take place?

What type of basket was used, was it made of soaked reeds, dried sea grass, and/or with wooden accents. Any combination of these materials can be combined together to make a wide variety of basket shapes, sizes, and styles. Was he actually seated in a small basket or is that just a metaphor. Basketry techniques revealed by the finds from this period are impressive and complex and provides us with a glimpse into the daily-life objects used in this period, and a window into the technology.

Are there any pictures of said basket that may reveal a clue "such as a map" woven into the basket itself to indicate as to what Father Kino was actually doing being towed down said river?

As well who and what was doing the towing.

Was he looking for something along the shore line such as a symbol?

Was he a Jesuit?

As a student of the study of the ancient world I am interested if you were to clarify what was going on here.

Hello Hal, a little help here please.

http://padrekino.com/index.php/kino-legacy/preface-memoirs/

Here is an article to read and the specific paragraph below that answers a few of your questions which, btw, have impressed me. It's alway refreshing to find someone with similar interests.

I have invested quite a bit of time researching the life and times of the Jesuit Father Kino, (several variations in the spelling) and haven't even come close to scratching the surface of what's available.

Among other things, many other things, Kino went searching for quicksilver.

Today, historians resist placing Kino's explorations north of the Gila, but I strongly disagree with that conclusion. I have seen evidence that he reached the Moqui, which, as you may know, was far north of that river.

Read up on Kino. There are things about him that are true mysteries and will certainly leave you scratching your head... and wanting more. I also have a few interesting ideas about Kino that tie into much larger, more controversial ideas. This isn't the place to write about that, however these ideas will challenge your perception of history.

If you need help with the research, just ask. There are others on this site who are equally if not more knowledgable about the wonderings and good deeds of Americas first Jesuit cowboy.

"This assurance was the inspiration of his remaining journeys. In the same year, 1700, he for the first time reached the Yuma junction, and learned that he was above the head of the Gulf, which greatly strengthened his belief in the peninsular theory. In the next year he returned to the same point by way of the Camino del Diablo, passed some distance down the Colorado, and crossed over to the California side, towed on a raft by Indians and sitting in a basket. Finally, in 1702, his triumph came, for he again returned to the Yuma junction, descended the Colorado to the Gulf, and saw the sun rise over its head. He was now satisfied that he had demonstrated the feasibility of a land passage to California and had disproved the idea that California was an island."

Last edited:

captain1965

Apr 12, 2015
Mesa
Detector(s) used
fisher gemini 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kino's journey up the San Pedro river talking to Indian tribes searching for the 7 cities of Cibola is very interesting as well.

Jon

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Kino's journey up the San Pedro river talking to Indian tribes searching for the 7 cities of Cibola is very interesting as well.

Jon
Captain1965,

Since you already are familiar with Kino and his travels, I will share a little secret with you. If you are interested, go back and make a short list of the most important dates surrounding his life as a Jesuit.

Then... Check your Inbox later today.
It's interesting.

i am the horse

Apr 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captain1965,

Since you already are familiar with Kino and his travels, I will share a little secret with you. If you are interested, go back and make a short list of the most important dates surrounding his life as a Jesuit.

Then... Check your Inbox later today.
It's interesting.

im pretty interested in kino.. any chance ya throw some stuff my way?

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
im pretty interested in kino.. any chance ya throw some stuff my way?
Of course.
I will copy you with the same PM.
Its just a little secret and won't help you find lost treasure, but if the bigger picture is important to you, historically speaking, and if you have an open mind, then you will find it somewhat interesting. Or not. It's a conclusion based on simple facts.

I will send the PM tonight when I get home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread