New Book

Thomas969

Dec 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen,

At the Rendezvous I was asked about my new book, when it would be out and what is it going to be on. I very much appreciate the interest and support. Finally the proofs have arrived and the book should be out in a few weeks. The title is “Treasure Tales of the Superstitions”.

It is a collection of the various tales, stories and accounts from Simon Novinger to the Two Soldiers to Indian stories to much lesser known ones. The format is to tell the tales, and if there is more than one version to compare the different accounts and then compare the accounts to the known history.--included are brief biographical accounts on the participants where possible.

There is a chapter on clues listed by source, e.g., Bicknell, Bark, etc., there are maps of: clues, reputed sightings of Waltz, lost mine/treasure maps, etc. The clues chapter has about 350 clues. Some are variations of other clues, some well known, some not. The last section of the book is Twice Told Tales, which is a fictional account of the first 24 hrs. of Len and I in the mountains discussing the mine. Included in this part are accounts from other Dutch Hunters that I have known, such as Al Reser, Gerry Hamrick and Bob Crandall – the accounts from these friends include not just Dutch Hunting, but also some of their encounters with others and different adventures, such as Bob Crandall’s encounter with Howard Hughes.

I appreciate the patience and the help that has been so generously offered by so many including, but by no means limited to Jack Carlson, Greg Davis, Shelly at Guidon, Bob Corbin, Tom Kollenborn, to the historical societies from Baltimore, MD to Texas (state and Castroville), to colleagues in Weaverville, CA. to angels at the National Archives, the Arizona State Archives, the California State Archives, and on and on. The amount of work that people I have never met have done to help is mind boggling, such as the woman at the New Jersey State archives who helped track do the record of Jim Bark’s birth. The record was poorly written and it had be written over, but she persisted and was able to untangle it all.

Once I know a release date I will post.

I thank you for your interest

Thomas Glover

393stroker

Jun 27, 2012
HOUSTON
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro-something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I`m looking forward to reading your book Thomas. Keep us posted on where it can be purchased.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....same goes for me! Thanks for the update and add me to the list. HAHAHA

Mike

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
For those who are interested, Dr. Glover's new book should be at the printers now. We won't have to wait long.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

OP
OP
T

Thomas969

Dec 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two Pits

Gentlemen,

I appreciate your support, and kind words. At my talk at the Rendezvous I mentioned that according to Bark in the "Bark Notes" Waltz said the mine was two pits about 75 feet apart. Afterwards there was some questioning about the "two pits", i.e., that that description came from someone else - such as Chuning, or ?? Sunday morning Greg and I discussed this and Greg opened the Bark Notes he had to check. It was Waltz who said it. Attached is the top of page 12 on the Jacob Walsh story from the "Bark Notes".

When I visited the Big Rebel I found the pits (mostly filled in now) and when I paced it off the distance the distance I got for between them was 75 feet. The Big Rebel was surveyed in the late 1800s or very early 1890s, that survey shows the two pits and a tunnel below. I take Waltz's description of "a like distance across the top" to be the distance between them.

Thank you,

Thomas

Attachments

• TwoPits.pdf
    601.6 KB · Views: 157

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Dr. Glover,

Thank you for that piece of old evidence. I know I have heard that before, most likely, from you.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Take care,

Joe

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Dr. Glover,

So Helena was not paying attention either, not just Rhiney. Seems like at some point Waltz told them about the Big Rebel mine that he and two others filed a claim on. They evidently got that story mixed with the unclaimed mine. That's where people get the belief that the LDM is a pit mine with an opening that is 75 feet across.

Waltz's directions to them did not send them to Yavapai Co., and the Big Rebel ore does not match the ore that is on the matchbox.

I have never read the Bark's notes, but that alone sheds plenty of light on some of the confusion. Thanks for posting it.

Homar

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
All,

Dr. Glover's new book IS at the printers now and should be available by, or before, Christmas. We can only hope.:thumbsup:

Joe Ribaudo

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you should read them if you get a chance,some pretty interesting stuff in there

Howdy SGnAZ,

Thanks, but I would rather read Dr. Glover's books someday.

I was referring to the confusion of others who have claimed that the LDM is a pit mine. I just wondered where they got the idea from. In my six years of posting, I have never asked, or had a question concerning the LDM clues.

Homar

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Howdy SGnAZ,

Thanks, but I would rather read Dr. Glover's books someday.

I was referring to the confusion of others who have claimed that the LDM is a pit mine. I just wondered where they got the idea from. In my six years of posting, I have never asked, or had a question concerning the LDM clues.

Homar

Homar,

Towards the beginning of the Bark Notes, he writes that the mine was a "tunnel". Later on, he takes the words of Julia and Rhiney that Waltz tells them the mine is "two pits" about 75' apart. That may be the first mention of it being a pit mine. Can't recall how or if Bicknell described it. He most likely got his story from Julia and or Rhiney, so he probably called it a pit mine......if anything.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
All,

Don't know it for a fact, but believe Dr. Glover may have cleaned up his sources for the new book. It will be worth reading, for sure.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
All,

This was my review written for Amazon.com:

[Dr. Glovers latest book is a welcome addition to his two earlier publications concerning the Lost Dutchman Mine, and the legends and lore of the Superstition Mountains in Arizona. His chapter "Twice Told Tales" is like a "Ride Through Time....", so to speak, and gives us a personal, fictional account of a 24-hour trip into the Superstition Mountains with his good friend and partner Len Killen, who passed away Dec. 5, 2014. They discuss many aspects of the various legends and stories attached to that beautiful yet dangerous range.

No Dutch Hunter or fan of the legends surrounding the Lost Dutchman Mine should be without this latest edition.

Joe Ribaudo
Founder of the Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous]

The book is very well written with few exceptions. If you read, and I understand some of you don't, :dontknow: you should have this book in your collection. It does contain some new facts and stories.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
All,

This was my review written for Amazon.com:

[Dr. Glovers latest book is a welcome addition to his two earlier publications concerning the Lost Dutchman Mine, and the legends and lore of the Superstition Mountains in Arizona. His chapter "Twice Told Tales" is like a "Ride Through Time....", so to speak, and gives us a personal, fictional account of a 24-hour trip into the Superstition Mountains with his good friend and partner Len Killen, who passed away Dec. 5, 2014. They discuss many aspects of the various legends and stories attached to that beautiful yet dangerous range.

No Dutch Hunter or fan of the legends surrounding the Lost Dutchman Mine should be without this latest edition.

Joe Ribaudo
Founder of the Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous]

The book is very well written with few exceptions. If you read, and I understand some of you don't, :dontknow: you should have this book in your collection. It does contain some new facts and stories.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

That is a very good review Joe, thanks for posting it.

"The man who will not read has no advantage over the man who can not read" --Mark Twain

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got back from Cuba, and I too, have just finished Glover's book.

My immediate reaction is that Dr. Glover is to be congratulated for putting together quite a comprehensive tome concerning the legends, stories, and myths associated with the Superstitions. What makes it exceedingly valuable is the tremendous amount of level-headed and diligent research that went into each subject covered in the book. Dr. Glover doesn't have an agenda, and doesn't manipulate or distort anything. He asks very good questions and lets you make your own decisions. That approach alone makes his book very valuable. This seminal work should be, and I daresay will be, the bible for any serious dutch hunter. If you only buy one book concerning the LDM, this book, without question, is it. It's worth every penny.

The biggest benefits it offer, IMO, is showing how many of the tales have become convoluted, mixed up, and conflated with other tales, becoming a mish-mash so to speak (apropos of oral traditions). One then gets the idea of just how much there is to really sort through.

The other important thing that a hopefully sensible reader will take away from all this is the realization that you can pretty much make clues fit anything you find in the Superstitions. Without very specific directions (most DH'ers didn't have any), even the most experienced DH could be standing right on top of the LDM and not know it.

As I've mentioned before, the only reason you see a visible mine (or signs of one) is because it has been played out. Any miner(s) with half a sense would have taken extreme care to disguise a producing mine, very well, especially in that for many of them, mining was seasonal. And then there is the nature factor- nature does a great job of adding to the disguise, especially when it has time.

That being said, this book is a real wealth of information, both old and new. I was able to take away quite a bit of new information from it. A few questions were satisfactorily answered for me- for example, Ruth's demise being an act of murder; new information from the book has made that pretty much a conclusion.

I hope to see subsequent editions with new information added and editing corrections made.

My signed copy is already dog-eared, with a Cuban Pesos bill as an alternate bookmark:

glover.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread