Arguemant against Moromon stope

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't the original mamouth portion started that way, having been discovered at the surface after a big washout?

Discovered as a deposit of gold ore which was visible on the surface after flooding had washed away whatever overburden had previously concealed it from view.
But not a deposit which had been previously discovered and worked by others, so far as I know.

OP
OP
ConceptualizedNetherlandr
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
It speaks to the near surface occurane in the over all complex. How do we know the stope pre anglo shaft wasn't started as a pit ? There had to be a surface indication for them to get started on it back then, right? Not that it matters what it was since we know nothing for certain about where Jake was crawling around.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
I could be wrong but was it the Mamouth that Bob found old timbers from the Mexican period. I'll ask him next time I see him.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
It speaks to the near surface occurane in the over all complex. How do we know the stope pre anglo shaft wasn't started as a pit ? There had to be a surface indication for them to get started on it back then, right? Not that it matters what it was since we know nothing for certain about where Jake was crawling around.

in the late 40's al lewis found a shaft with ironwood timber on the mammoth property that was either spanish or mexican

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
We are not even sure there was any such lost mine, let alone what configuration it was. The stope seems to be the most likely candidate so far.

Why don't you just conclude that the Mammoth mine's Mormon stope was the LDM, and you won't have to be concerned about it any further?

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have loved to have seen that! Has anyone written an account of how they found it and what happened?

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I would have loved to have seen that! Has anyone written an account of how they found it and what happened?

jim..you may already know this but ted sliger (owner of buckhorn mineral baths) was involved in that venture at the mammoth mine

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PotBelly Jim,

There is a lot more to the story but here is the basics of what occurred:

In 1949, a friend of Ted Sliger, Alfred S. Lewis, a mining engineer, purchased the property that was once the Mammoth Mine near Superstition Mountain and the old town of Goldfield.
During WWII the Shumway brothers of Mesa had bought the Mammoth Mine from the estate of George U. Young. The Shumway’s tore down what was left of the town of Goldfield and the Mammoth site and sold the lumber and machinery.

Alfred Lewis had bought the property because while working to evaluate the property for the Shumway’s he had accidently discovered a shaft and tunnel hidden beneath a large boulder just south of the Mammoth Mill, about where the Goldfield Ghost Town tourist attraction sits today.

This old mine shaft and tunnel was not a part of the original Mammoth Mine and in fact predated and was previously unknown to any of the owners of the Mammoth Mine.
Inside the tunnel Lewis had found rough cut timbers and Spanish/Mexican artifacts that were dated to the early Mexican period by the University of Arizona.

Alfred Lewis told his friend Ted Sliger about the amazing discovery and with Mesa neighbors, Hugh Nichols, Tom Reynolds and Charles Waterbury the 5 men formed what became the Goldfield Mines Company Inc.

Over the next year the group took a total of $50,000 dollars-worth of gold in quartz from the tunnel before they broke into an old tunnel of the Charles Hall section of the Mammoth mine. At that point their vein of quartz and gold was lost forever.
The group suffered a final blow when in 1950, Alfred Lewis suddenly died. Lewis was the only one of the group who actually knew mining and the Goldfield Mines Inc. partners gradually sold off their interests until Charles Waterbury was the final owner. It was Waterbury’s family who eventually sold the property to the present owner of the Goldfield Ghost Town tourist attraction.

Alfred Lewis steadfastly believed the old Mexican shaft and tunnel he discovered under that boulder was the famous Peralta / Lost Dutchman Mine. Lewis wrote a manuscript which detailed his findings and belief in the mine. That manuscript can be found at the Superstition Mountain Museum at Apache Junction, AZ.

Ted Sliger would often quip he was once a past owner of the famous lost dutchman mine.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Dave, I did not know that...my mom said they finally sold that place and everyone's afraid it's going to get plowed under.

Matthew, thanks. I will check out the Alfred Lewis manuscript next time I'm over that way. Sounds like one heck of a story!

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Dave, I did not know that...my mom said they finally sold that place and everyone's afraid it's going to get plowed under.

Matthew, thanks. I will check out the Alfred Lewis manuscript next time I'm over that way. Sounds like one heck of a story!

jim..they were going to plow the place but someone stepped in and saved it....i think they are going to make it a historic site ...there is a new book out on the buckhorn wells...it has the history of the place and tons of historical pics...i bought it and really liked it

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
jim..they were going to plow the place but someone stepped in and saved it....i think they are going to make it a historic site ...there is a new book out on the buckhorn wells...it has the history of the place and tons of historical pics...i bought it and really liked it

Hi Dave,

Hope all is well with you and your family.

Don't know if you have this or not, but thought you might find it of interest:

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Bo...sortby=17&ds=20&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title3

Good luck,

Joe

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you see Weavers Needle from the Mammoth mine Mormon stope?

nobodie,

No, you cannot see Weavers Needle from the Mammoth mine, Superstition Mountain is in the way.

And you wouldn't be able to see anything from the Mormon stope because the stope was 65 - 100 feet underground.

Stopeing is when you strike a rich ore body underground and the host rock is strong/hard enough not to have to shore with timbers.
Many times miners will sink a shaft and then tunnel underneath the ore body then mine upwards letting gravity work for them. Thus the name "stope."

Sometimes miners would stope a deposit leaving a huge empty cavity or room supported only by a few pillars. After the ore body was mined out a crew would go in and mine the pillars.
This was called retreat mining and was very dangerous operation for the men involved.

The Mormon stope was a part of the Mammoth mine, but was some 65 feet underground. azdave35 could maybe explain this a little better.

Best,

Matthew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread