What do you consider to be the best book on the LDM?

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To 393Stoker: What does your reply in this thread have to do with the subject here regarding you favorite LDM book? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To 393Stoker: What does your reply in this thread have to do with the subject here regarding you favorite LDM book? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

He posted his favorite. GTFU :skullflag:

393stroker

Jun 27, 2012
HOUSTON
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro-something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not a damn thing, put it on the wrong thread. Thank you for pointing it out Greg. But that is the view that I believe can be seen from the LDM area.

393stroker

Jun 27, 2012
HOUSTON
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro-something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No he didn't. The book he linked to pertains to all things Superstitions, not the LDM.

Your insult, while not unexpected, is still uncalled for.

No, I made a mistake and put a GE pic that was meant for another thread. But what does GTFU mean?

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK ALL: Lets drop the name calling and be nice to each other and get back to the subject of this thread before the web master chimes in and hands out disciplinary action. W Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two of my favorite authors are Thomas Glover (Part 1: The Golden Dream and Part 2: The Holmes Manuscript). Well researched with good background and bibliography. Also, Jack San Felice, "Lost El Dorado" of Jacob Waltz. The book coupled with Jack's talks about his research and conclusions are great. A lot of the content in these books has been verified and vetted by other respected treasure hunters and authors. They both conducted a lot of research and spent time in the field. Top shelf go to books in my library. Jack San Felice.jpg

Attachments

• TEGlover Part 2.jpg
    TEGlover Part 2.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 572

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. "The Lost Dutchman Mine:" by Sims Ely 1953
This is the closest anybody is going to get to first hand information. Jim Bark knew Waltz. They both interviewed Julia Thomas and Rhinehardt Petrasch.

2. "Trail of the Lost Dutchman" by Barry Storm 1939
If you don't mind dropping some stiff money for a paperback, this is an excellent source for old photos and maps. A lot of good info here.

3. "Thunder God's Gold" Barry Storm 1945
Another expensive book to find, and is kind of an updated version of Trail of the Lost Dutchman". There are things in each book that aren't in the other (both are necessary).

4. "Arizona's Monument to Lost Mines" Jonathan Burbridge 1969
A great book. Lots of good pics.

Mike

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
1. "The Lost Dutchman Mine:" by Sims Ely 1953
This is the closest anybody is going to get to first hand information. Jim Bark knew Waltz. They both interviewed Julia Thomas and Rhinehardt Petrasch.

2. "Trail of the Lost Dutchman" by Barry Storm 1939
If you don't mind dropping some stiff money for a paperback, this is an excellent source for old photos and maps. A lot of good info here.

3. "Thunder God's Gold" Barry Storm 1945
Another expensive book to find, and is kind of an updated version of Trail of the Lost Dutchman". There are things in each book that aren't in the other (both are necessary).

4. "Arizona's Monument to Lost Mines" Jonathan Burbridge 1969
A great book. Lots of good pics.

Mike

hey mike..glad to see someone mention the older books...dont forget garmin's and rosencrans little books....in my opinion there is no "best" book...you just have to read them all and draw your own conclusions..

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, you are absolutely right. There are 2 many to list I have all you and Mike listed and then some. You can’t go wrong with any of the books listed so far in this thread.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Dave, you are absolutely right. There are 2 many to list I have all you and Mike listed and then some. You can’t go wrong with any of the books listed so far in this thread.
none of them will get you to the mine but each book has a few scraps that might help

OP
OP
S

Steamboat

Feb 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have now read 10+ books on the LDM and in my opinion the best one is THE LOST DUTCHMAN MINE OF JACOB WALTZ by T.E. Glover. Also another one I liked was THE CURSE OF THE DUTCHMAN'S GOLD by Helen Corbin. I also liked THE STERLING LEGEND by Estee Conatser.
There are several I didn't like but I won't list them.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
I have now read 10+ books on the LDM and in my opinion the best one is THE LOST DUTCHMAN MINE OF JACOB WALTZ by T.E. Glover. Also another one I liked was THE CURSE OF THE DUTCHMAN'S GOLD by Helen Corbin. I also liked THE STERLING LEGEND by Estee Conatser.
There are several I didn't like but I won't list them.

Or did you by omission :P

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a book but a personal manuscript.

The Walter Gassler manuscript.

The one person who may have actually found Waltz's mine, but for dangerous circumstances, failed health and old age, was unable to do anything about it.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
some of the ldm books are one mans personal quest and life story...some are the history of the superstitions and ldm...and some are pretty much crap..read all of them......all books have something you can use

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread