Why wasn’t the Pit Mine completely worked out the first time

ApacheGold

Greenie
Aug 14, 2012
Tempe
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Everyone,

So I’m reading Jack San Felice book Lost El Dorado and he makes a great case for the Pit Mine being LDM. Now I’m not saying it is or it isn’t but it is interesting. I”m just wondering if this was claimed in 1875 originally why wasn’t it completely worked out? Why would they leave this gold/silver mine if there was still gold available. Obviously there was something of value left in there if some guys in the 90’s illegally worked it.

Matt

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Apache Gold

Thats the problem with the theory It was claimed during Waltz’s Time.
So it’s obvious it’s not the Mine.

Babymick1

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone,

So I’m reading Jack San Felice book Lost El Dorado and he makes a great case for the Pit Mine being LDM. Now I’m not saying it is or it isn’t but it is interesting. I”m just wondering if this was claimed in 1875 originally why wasn’t it completely worked out? Why would they leave this gold/silver mine if there was still gold available. Obviously there was something of value left in there if some guys in the 90’s illegally worked it.

Matt

From what i have read, all the mining claims in Rogers district, inclusive the Pit ( Silver Chief ) mine, were abandoned because the silver price had dropped very low at the turn of the 19th century. Wasn't worth anymore to spend money without income.
There was nothing valuable left in the Pit mine, like gold vein or gold cache. The guys who worked it in the 90's, found nothing but only an abandoned silver mine.
The piece of the gold ore that few people are floating it around as a Pit mine ore, it's not from the Pit mine but from another gold mine known only to few persons, and it's few miles NW afar from the Pit mine. They wanted to hide their fail in finding something valuable in the Pit mine and showed a piece of gold ore which they bought from another person who at that time wanted to keep secret the mine location.
Maybe in few years we will learn the truth, or maybe not. But always few people know the "real" truth, including those who first showed the gold ore.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ApacheGold

Greenie
Aug 14, 2012
Tempe
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Markmar,

I also thought it was interesting that there is only 1 picture of gold that is floating around from this supposed LDM contender. I would have to think if you really think you found it surely you would have taken many more pictures. Seems weird there is just that one, however that one is sure pretty.

Matt

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Markmar,

I also thought it was interesting that there is only 1 picture of gold that is floating around from this supposed LDM contender. I would have to think if you really think you found it surely you would have taken many more pictures. Seems weird there is just that one, however that one is sure pretty.

Matt

Actually, there are several pics of that ore. The Silver Chief was definitely not the LDM as the other mines in the area were being worked full time when Waltz was getting gold from his mine. No way he wouldn't have been seen coming and going. It looks like Markmar has fallen prey to the current retconning of the Pit Mine as an empty worthless hole in the ground. Please feel free to believe what you want! LOL

Mike

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, there are several pics of that ore. The Silver Chief was definitely not the LDM as the other mines in the area were being worked full time when Waltz was getting gold from his mine. No way he wouldn't have been seen coming and going. It looks like Markmar has fallen prey to the current retconning of the Pit Mine as an empty worthless hole in the ground. Please feel free to believe what you want! LOL

Mike

Mike - forgive me as I honestly haven't been on the forums more than a few times in the last year. I've probably seen some of or all of the photos of what you referred to, but if they've been posted on TNet could you link to them for me? If not, would anyone be willing to send them to me via PM?

I'm not sure where you stand in regards to the Silver Chief, Pit Mine, etc... but I'm a little confused by your comment and just want to see if you can clarify a couple things. You say you don't believe the Silver Chief is/was the LDM for one reason because Waltz could never have slipped into and out of that area while a number of other mines locally were being worked - I happen to agree with that. But then you imply that the Pit Mine had something worthwhile in it - enough for people to illegally dig and recover something a number of years ago. So do you believe the Pit Mine and the Silver Chief are/were one in the same or are you suggesting they are two different locations? Or are you just saying that you believe gold ore WAS indeed taken out of the Pit Mine, but that the Pit Mine was not the LDM?

Sorry if I'm further muddying the water, but reading this short thread is confusing me because some are suggesting the ore photos are of a different location than the Pit Mine, and I'm not even sure everyone agrees that the Pit Mine and Silver Chief are/were one in the same.

Regards, Paul

OldManOfTheRiver

Jun 15, 2018
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Mike - forgive me as I honestly haven't been on the forums more than a few times in the last year. I've probably seen some of or all of the photos of what you referred to, but if they've been posted on TNet could you link to them for me? If not, would anyone be willing to send them to me via PM?

I'm not sure where you stand in regards to the Silver Chief, Pit Mine, etc... but I'm a little confused by your comment and just want to see if you can clarify a couple things. You say you don't believe the Silver Chief is/was the LDM for one reason because Waltz could never have slipped into and out of that area while a number of other mines locally were being worked - I happen to agree with that. But then you imply that the Pit Mine had something worthwhile in it - enough for people to illegally dig and recover something a number of years ago. So do you believe the Pit Mine and the Silver Chief are/were one in the same or are you suggesting they are two different locations? Or are you just saying that you believe gold ore WAS indeed taken out of the Pit Mine, but that the Pit Mine was not the LDM?

Sorry if I'm further muddying the water, but reading this short thread is confusing me because some are suggesting the ore photos are of a different location than the Pit Mine, and I'm not even sure everyone agrees that the Pit Mine and Silver Chief are/were one in the same.

Regards, Paul

https://preview.ibb.co/kiXgiL/44998514-281356122488714-1969966353234264064-n.jpg

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
95822338-E4DB-4F59-8601-9AF66FE60EAD.jpeg

These are not from the pit mine but not that far away from it.
But the matrix is a lot like the sample in the pic of known pit mine ore. If it’s true!

babymick1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions