US Navy Dog Tag found.

sirlostalot

Jul 22, 2004
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a US Navy Dog tag over the summer while I was vacationing on the East Coast. It has on it Daniel A Bishop Sr., CVA 34, US Navy 1966. Does anyone know what CVA 34 stands for.? The search is on. If someone knows of a web sites that might list the service men for 1966 let me know.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 361
OP
OP
sirlostalot

sirlostalot

Jul 22, 2004
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found out the CVA 34 is for the USS Oriskany which they sank for a man made reef in Florida. You learn alot of history with this hobby. Ive left a message with the Oriskany Museum. Hopefully they can contact him.

krymesolvr93

Oct 27, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If that gets returned to the person, that is definitely worth an honorable mention!! :icon_salut:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That doesn't look like a typical 'dog tag'; more like (perhaps) a tag of remembrance of either the events on 1966 aboard that vessel or in memory of this sailor who may have given his life during a horrific accident on the ship in 1966; taking the lives of many sailors and pilots.
Don.....

OP
OP
sirlostalot

sirlostalot

Jul 22, 2004
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That doesn't look like a typical 'dog tag'; more like (perhaps) a tag of remembrance of either the events on 1966 aboard that vessel or in memory of this sailor who may have given his life during a horrific accident on the ship in 1966; taking the lives of many sailors and pilots.
Don.....

There was a fire on this ship in 1966 where 44 service men lost their life. But this guy wasn't one of them.

The one I was issued didn't look like this one. This dog tag has camo on the back and was issued during the Vietnam war ,which was before my time. So I don't know if this was standard thing for the time.

OP
OP
sirlostalot

sirlostalot

Jul 22, 2004
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Searching the web found a web page that had to do with the reunions for this ship. Emailed one of the guys that ran the web page and he emailed me back with Daniel Bishop email address. Just shot off an email to him and just waiting for a reply.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds great, keep us informed!

OP
OP
sirlostalot

sirlostalot

Jul 22, 2004
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK got an email from Dan with an address to send it back to. He lives about 15 miles from where I found it. Must have been lost awhile because he doesnt remember where he had it made or when he lost it.

OP
OP
sirlostalot

sirlostalot

Jul 22, 2004
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sent this back today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread