Did I get pranked?

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple weeks ago I came across an ad in the lost and found section of Craig's list. It was for a mens platinum wedding ring lost at a park. I emailed him to get a better idea of where he thought the ring might be. He responded with a pretty detailed google map. So, feeling pretty confident, I traveled to the park on a Sunday afternoon. I spent about 90 minutes searching and came up empty. I returned the following Saturday and searched for another four and half hours. I again came up empty. I emailed him and got this response.

Thank you so much for your help. I just found my ring this morning! It was stuck high up in one of the trees...I purchased a handheld metal detector this week and it was really what I needed to properly search the trees. I truly appreciate your help - thank you!

Now, he had said he lost his ring while throwing something, but wasn't specific. I'm thinking I got pranked, what do you think?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found lost items in bushes and trees before so I guess it's possible he's telling the truth. Before I do a search, I like to meet with the one who lost the item so they can show me the area where it was lost and recreate the activity that made it come loose. It's always best to narrow the search area as much as possible before you start hunting.

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it was a prank, then he spent money on running a ad on craig’s list.

Kind of a pricey prank.

OP
OP
willie d

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found lost items in bushes and trees before so I guess it's possible he's telling the truth. Before I do a search, I like to meet with the one who lost the item so they can show me the area where it was lost and recreate the activity that made it come loose. It's always best to narrow the search area as much as possible before you start hunting.
The satellite map he emailed me was very detailed. He circled the area in question. I had no problem finding the spot. A meeting was not able to happen due to conflicting work schedules.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
willie d:

Did you have an agreement regarding your finder's fee?

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was this the ring at the southern most end of a park in Tampa north of 275, west of downtown. Drawing a blank on the name of that road.

OP
OP
willie d

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
willie d:

Did you have an agreement regarding your finder's fee?

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo
No agreement was made. The ad said he would pay a significant reward. I wasn't worried about getting a huge reward. A couple bucks to cover gas would've been fine.

OP
OP
willie d

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was this the ring at the southern most end of a park in Tampa north of 275, west of downtown. Drawing a blank on the name of that road.
It was the Southernmost tip of Himes Ave.

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep that is it, saw that the day I was leaving Tampa, ended up looking for the one over off Swann and Bayshore area when I was there, for some lady who lost a diamond band. Crazy though if it was actually in a tree, sometimes I think they say they lost it there but end up finding it at home or the car. At least you offered assistance.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
willie d:

I wasn't trying to suggest you were in it for the money. Sounds to me like you were working hard to help someone out.

A clear understand of the agreement ahead of time is an indication (to me) of how serious the person was who claimed to have lost it.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
willie d

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
willie d:

I wasn't trying to suggest you were in it for the money. Sounds to me like you were working hard to help someone out.

A clear understand of the agreement ahead of time is an indication (to me) of how serious the person was who claimed to have lost it.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo
No worries. I didn't think you were suggesting anything about my motives. I've responded to similiarly worded ads and have been successful. The last ad I responded to was not as clear but worked out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions