swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: very old carvings...pic(s)

Very nice pictures.. do I see bits of flint in the rock?

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: very old carvings...pic(s) JS

That is a great pic Ki! One can actually tell that some type of a drill was used to carve the JS!

Ralph and I have researched many aspects of Swift and have come to the conclusion that the reason the Scottish Co. was able to manipulate extra pay from Swift and Co. was that the Scots were bringing them mining equipment from Europe. Swift and Co. did not want anyone to know - especially the taxing authorities who would want to tax the equipment and their ore/mines, so they gave in and paid the extra "ransom" to the Scots. So, the drill that carved the initials on your rock was probably one of the mining tools that Swift and Co. obtained from the Scots. I know some might not find this interesting, but I personally love the "history aspect" of these treasure legends. Ralph and I have spent several hours on the phone "brainstorming" about different aspects of Swift and Co.'s operation. This usually works out great b/c, while I am in the field, Ralph is back in VA on the East Coast researching things in the many venues he has available and getting things I find dated through his connections in Williamsburg, VA.

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain

Ki, i can't remember if i told you about the rock bridge on swift creek. on the top corner of the bridge next to the trail, there is the exact same carving of JS, its under moss, looks to be the same size. Have you seen a picture of the buffalo rock, it has 7 of the names on it and also has one with stoner. Swifts is on it, JS same has on your rock with a faint map. dates on it are 1761, 65, 69. ( could it be that stoner worked with swift or did he find this rock later and added his name. there is more on it, but it wa
s to faint for my inferred camera to pull out )

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Ki, I took you photo, using my software, and found a possible clue. if you turn the photo till "JS" is facing you, there looks as there may be two "turkey tracks". one is part of the indention to the right of the "JS", and one runs above it, very faint. could it be these are directions? Who knows. map your location, and cross the directions, and see where it leads you. the other carvings look like other searchers, cause they were careful to get away from the directions on the other part of the rock. just an opinion, hope it helps.

-swiftfan-

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR

swiftsearcher, boomer, swiftfan.....
Thanks for the feedback on these carvings, your absolutely right swiftsearcher looks like a drill did carve the JS in the rock. I was wondering what type of tool could have been used to carve the JS. I'm like you swiftsearcher, i love the history along with the treasure legends.

Boomer, i haven't seen the JS on rock bridge, but you have told me about it. I made a quick trip to rock bridge today, but there was alot of people there. I looked for it but couldn't find it right off, did you say it is covered? I'll look for it the next time i have free time and can look around. Is it on top the bridge or on the side? You say it looks dead on the JS in my picture, id love to photograph it for my photo records.

Swiftfan, your right about there being a faint outline of a map. I've been trying to figure it out ever since i took the picture. But your right people did not carve in that area of the rock for a certain reason, I'm not sure if its a map of the ridge or a map to the next clue, carving, or key area. I'm slowly decoding the carvings though, but finding the JS makes the mines and legend even more real for me.
Thanks for everyones feedback, -Ki-

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain

ki, when you are facing the bridge looking east, on the top at the left corner. i was looking around and noticed the moss on that corner, i eased it up and there was the JS, it was cut about 1/2" deep. i layed the moss back down over it. i hope it has not been chipped away. there use to be a road sign up above that told of silver mining by swift and it was taken down. know the cabin and trailer area for sight seers, i asked the ranger there about the sign and he said that to many people were snooping around. and several things have been done away with. kind of spooky about what he meant.

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

boomer,
i think i know what part of the bridge you are talking about, i never got on top of it because of all the people. It was a really nice day yesterday, plus it being a weekend, i could see why so many where there. Its the most people ive seen there in a long time. I got a question for ya boomer, On lower devil's creek ive heard of the same JS carving being found there as well, have you heard anything like this?. Ive seen the same carving of the JS id found just like the JS carving in Mike Steely's book, i think it was on either upper or lower devils creek in wolfe co. does anyone know of the where abouts of any others? -Ki-

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain

on lower devil there is an SJM with compass trowel and square. The man that owns the farm up on the flat told me that when he was a boy, that was not on that rock. he said that three men were there making a video on the swift mine and putting out a book on this. he never saw them put the carving there, but he feels they did it. now there is a JS and an arrow pointing northwest at the vary end of upper devil on the flat and i think its vary old because it is vary faded. it would be an easy ride to this area from the big sandy.

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

boomer,
thanks for helping jog my memory, i do remember it being a SJM now. One has to wonder with all the carvings out there now, that in the time since Swift and crew there have been many carvings made, mainly to fool people into looking in the wrong place or to make unbelievers believe. If you know what to look for the older carvings will be harder to find, with them being exposed to weather, and covered with moss, the newer carvings stand out better. I have seen some like this, very old carvings right beside newer carvings. I also believe that some older carvings have been erased on certain key landmarks by the pubic love to leave their name, and by this, old carvings, or rocks get defaced.

One thing with the Swift legend id love to figure out is Swifts two trails into, and out of the KY wilderness. He did leave some carvings on rocks, but most being on trees that are long since gone by the logging days..... Safe & Happy Hunting -Ki-

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain

Ki, i have this site, that tells about the early trails into Ky and of silver being found by the WPA, For some unknown reason, it won't pull in the link. so we have to do it the old way

Appalachian Stories, Poetry, Recipes and Inspirational Humor

Once in, look at top and click on family stories, than go down to, History of the mountain - hoyt mullins interview.
The guy in the photo has walked every trail and some where around here i have his story of following 4 trails of swifts. (take a look at the section on mountain cooking).

try again www.dancingonmountaintops.com

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Hey guys thought id post a couple more pics, maybe hoping that someone could toss a suggestion if something jumps out of the picture.
I do see maybe some indian carvings as well......

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Thought id reply again to post a pic of the rock bridge, a very important swift clue..... next time im here ill look real good for the JSM carving you spoke of Boomer... -Ki-

Attachments

• 08-29-09 019.jpg
    08-29-09 019.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 1,684

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Rock Bridge: ahh yes jog the old brain. someone told me that there was a carving on the underside of the bridge are near the arch of the bridge near the water line. just keep an eye out. can't be sure on this, it was a long time ago that i was told this.

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
There are a few story going around about how they found a cashe when putting the Mountain Parkway in, in the early 60's. Someone and also my uncle has made to light about the parkway being built over top the great cave. They said they had found a cave clearing for the way of the road, they claim that a dumptruck load of something was brought out of it, and then it was covered up and the road run just in front of it, it was suppost to be found just past the place where the rest area is going towards Wolfe co. on the right hand side. My uncles freind who had searched for Swifts mine for many years give up claiming the Mountain Parkway was built over the spot....
I for one dont belive this, as the cave Swift spoke of was a old Shawnee burrial ground, if anything like this was found it would have stoped the work for a bit, and the find would have been known about, as its a historical place as well. I dont think they would have just destoyed it like that........If there are any other storys going around please take the time to share........ -Ki-

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Ki, that sometimes isn't the case. Here where I live, there were some indian caves I used to go to when I was a kid. Well, there was a mining company that stripped the land, and supposedly blasted the property where the caves were, against the wishes of the landowners. Because I guess legally they had the right. I haven't been able to get back in there for years, and with the change of the land, I don't know if I could ever find it again. Now that I think about it, kinda sounds familar, don't it?....lol

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
I totally agree...i cant even imagine how much things have changed around here, before the whole settlement rush.

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
On the last trip to RockBridge i did find a couple carvings, one being "WS" doubtfully a swift mark but still sparked my intrest about John Swifts name being William Swift, also heard some story's about Swifts brother being named William...

Attachments

• 08-29-09 021.jpg
    08-29-09 021.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,582

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Thousands of acres of my childhood stomping grounds have been rent asunder by D9 Cats and greedy coal operators .
It's frustrating to find markers on untouched ground and look back to a spoil bank and the same when you look forward . Like getting the Queen of Spades passed to you with no backers and there you sit......Gonna get your butt kicked .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread