GPS help?

HCA1961

Feb 1, 2010
Pikeville, KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Fisher F-Point pinpointer, Gray Ghost ears
Hello Everyone!

I'm new here, but I've been researching the Swift Lore for some time and am anxious to start exploring a bit. I'd like to start at Pigeon Water Cave, but I cannot find its locale and I don't know anyone who knows where it is.

If anyone would be so kind as to post or send me the GPS coordinates for it (or any other sites in the area), I would sincerely appreciate it.

Also, I know everyone is kind of secretive about all of this, but would any of you be interested in creating a list of GPS coordinates for Swift sites??

Just a thought! Thanks in advance.

HCA1961

cstraiton

Sep 29, 2009
Flatwoods, Kentucky
I found this article that has some clues to the location of Pigeon Water cave. Part of the thing that makes treasure hunting fun to alot of us is the research of finding clues to locations and then finding the location. And I doubt that anyone who has done hours upon hours of research and additional hours of ground pounding to find these sites would just post the GPS position. But anyway, here is the link to the article. Happy hunting. http://www.elkhorncity.org/node/89

OP
OP
HCA1961

HCA1961

Feb 1, 2010
Pikeville, KY
Detector(s) used
Thanks, CSTRAITON! I had already found that article and, while it does gives a location, it will involve trekking over a few square miles of very rugged terrain. (Which is okay; the exercise is always good for me, and I do love being outdoors.)

I guess this forum is much different than some of the others I have been involved with in the past, where people shared commonly-held information in the hopes of helping others enjoy the past time. While I understand true treasure-hunting is a very secretive affair (to keep the hoarders and scalliwags away from the booty), I was promoting a sharing of GPS coordinates for sites that are well-recognized, often-visited, and hardly a secret. I'm talking about places like Pigeon Water Cave and Ashcamp Cave on Pine Mountain, Half-Moon, Chimney Top, Rock Bridge and Indian Stairway in the Red River Gorge

I guess that's too much to ask. Anyway, it's all in good fun (for most of us, anyway).

cstraiton

Sep 29, 2009
Flatwoods, Kentucky
I didn't mean to sound as if nobody on this forum is willing to help you or discourage you in any way. What I was trying to convey in my previous post was that people put a lot of time into researching treasure leads. The site you are looking for maybe well known, but you are also talking about a site where a keg of silver coins have definately been found. I have never been there personally, so I can't give you exact coordinates, but I can try to give you some helpful information in order to find it yourself. You might try looking here for some useful information.

Elkhorn City Public Library
150 East Main Street
Elkhorn City, KY 41522

606-754-5451

Fax: 330-248-0020

Operating Hours

Monday:
9:00-8:00

Tuesday and Thursday:
9:00-8:00

Wednesday and Friday:
10:00-6:00

Saturday:
9:00-5:00

Closed Sunday

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been to Ashcamp cave back in the 90's. But Pine Mountian Stone is blasting that whole section in the area I believe the cave was at. It may not even be there now. If it is, it would most certainly be dangerous. I'd love to tell you where it is, but I can't remember the name of the hollar it is in. If you find out the name , I can tell you it is on the right as you go up. You will probably hike or take a fourwheeler, as the road was pretty rough the last time I was there. Anyway, the opening is about 200 feet from the road on the right starting up the mountian. The opening is fairly small, looks like a groundhog hole or something. Goes in about 10-15 feet, before opening up where you can stand. From there, thre are about three different ways you can go. If you have never caving before, take Someone with you that has, and let someone know where you are, and a time to expextyou back. I myself had a friend get trapped in that cave, and had to get the rescue squad to get him out, so be careful, and good luck!

-swiftfan-

jack flash

Greenie
May 7, 2009
The water cave is located at Jesse Gap. Go around the Lower Pigeon left until you reach Jesse Gap, then up the hill. There are two entrances. Most of the locals can tell you where it is. If you go to the top of the hill and turn left Birch Knob is a short walk maybe a mile. There used to be some interesting things there. Maybe you'll see a cornstalk. To go to the Ashcamp-Limestone Cave, go to the head of Millbranch, then take the gaswell road a short distance. It is a short distance above the road. There is a place higher up called Hell's Crawlway,but there is nothing significant there. The whole area is an interesting place to hike and explore. Jack Flash.

OP
OP
HCA1961

HCA1961

Feb 1, 2010
Pikeville, KY
Detector(s) used
Thanks a lot, everyone! I sincerely appreciate it. I just needed a little guidance in taking my first step in Swift country! I'll let you know what I see.

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
Here's a couple of GPS locals for ya, I encourage everyone to visit the Gorge... One must remember my main Swift GPS locations are not listed on this map, these are common areas of the gorge.... Like i tell everyone "Enter at your own risk" some places are very dangerous and extreme caution must be used.....
RRG.jpg

Hope this helps ya.... -Ki-

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone know for sure the meridian that swift would have used? Was it Philadelphia? If so, where would the journals coordinates fall? In Henson's book, it lists it near a place called "Relief,KY". But is it from the Philadelphia Median? Just wondering...

OP
OP
HCA1961

HCA1961

Feb 1, 2010
Pikeville, KY
Detector(s) used
That is a great map, Ki. Obtaining the GPS coordinates was a piece of cake. Thank you for that bit of information---it really helps a neophyte researcher like me!

Swiftfan, I certainly don't know what meridian he used........but I do know where Relief, KY is (If you blink you'll miss it!). It's close to an area that I'm currently researching.

Thanks, everyone!

jack flash

Greenie
May 7, 2009
Ki, Awesome map. I did not realize there was a needle's eye area there. I have run across these in other places-Frakes, the Breaks, and others. Interesting, maybe nature repeats. Have you visited the SJM rock and other carvings the late Ralph Volker and his friends used to visit in the Gorge Area? I understand there is a lot to see there. I hope to visit there this summer. Jack Flash

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
Your welcome guys.... What i must stress about this map and area is this, This area in the map has been searched and researched for the last 250 years, alot of people, companys, and clubs have spent alot of money and time searching every place on this map for the lost mines, but i just happen to know and find something all these people have overlooked through out the years, this is what i keep to myself...These mines are well hid, you could walk right by them and not even know they are there, and id say alot of of people in the past who have looked for these places have walked right by them, without notice! But I still encourage everyone to visit The Gorge, its truly a Heaven on earth.
Jack Flash... I have been to that area a few years back, very rough country... I need to get back there to take some pictures, before the carvings disappear.... -Ki-

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the Prime Meridian...you are on the right path...there were several PMs in Swifts time. He could have suedon of the coast of England (not Greenwich), or Greenwich, or the french one or the one in Philadelphia (yes thee was one in Philadelphia at that time). The french one was moved from the small island off the coast of north Africa and so were the Spanish. The English moved to Greenwich about the time Swift was done. The main thing to remember is the latitude was easy the Longitude was not.Where ever they measured from was only as good as the very complicated calculations it took. (Swift says by celestial calculations this may be how he did it) or he could have had a clock...it was more actuate, but less accepted. The calculations were more well used, but they took several hours to complete! When you are talking one minute of Longitude being 60 miles or so and one second being 6 miles its spooky trusting the guys in those days and times with the equipment they had.

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jack flash said:
Ki, Awesome map. I did not realize there was a needle's eye area there. I have run across these in other places-Frakes, the Breaks, and others. Interesting, maybe nature repeats. Have you visited the SJM rock and other carvings the late Ralph Volker and his friends used to visit in the Gorge Area? I understand there is a lot to see there. I hope to visit there this summer. Jack Flash

Hello! Jack Flash

Above you mention the "late" Ralph Volker, I was wondering did Mr. Volker pass away recently?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread