What Are The Odds?

mtr88

Feb 5, 2010
I'd like to start off by saying I'm a total newbie to the subject of John Swift since I see here people who have been hunting for longer than I've been on this earth :icon_pirat:

I first become aware of Swift when I lived in Louisville in 2005. Overheard some guys talking about it in a local store in Fort Knox so I started research.

Bought Swift's journal and really became excited about not only treasure, but being able to explore a part of history.

I'm an avid hiker and consider myself to be pretty good in the woods with just my compass and a related topo map, so I looked forward to taking some time off work to camp in the area of Pine Mountain and see if I could get lucky.

However, before I could actually start my hunt, personal matters forced me to move to Florida.

I kinda forgot about the story over time and thought it to maybe be a fairy tale or just local legend since there seem to be so many conflicting variations of the Swift mines, locations, and so on.

By accident I stumbled on this forum today and now I'm a believer. I'm very impressed with the pictures that match precisely what Swift detailed in his journals.

I plan on visiting some friends in KY in April when I take a month off work. It is during this time I'm determined to visit the area in Pine Mountain to see if I can at least see some of the landmarks that others have found.

But after years of reading online and looking at the threads in this forum, I guess I'm overlooking where to start. It seems Swift talks about starting his entry at the forks of the Big Sandy...

I'm not asking for GPS coordinates, but just a good starting location, some landmark, sign, carving that I can ID and get started from.

And now for some questions:

1. Is there a main access road to the area of Swift mines and general "legend"?
2. Can I "legally" just head into the woods or should I be aware of locals as I saw mentioned in another thread where a member say people toting weapons.
3. For all the pictures I see from two members and even coins found, I can't believe that no one has actually found the "treasure" unless A. it's already been found and all that may be left are some loose coins, bars or just historical carvings, signs, etc. or B. Time has destroyed the last remaining signs needed to locate it....who here actually thinks that there is still treasure to be found after 200 odd years?
4. For people being so close and actually locating the caves from the journal, it seems that people either cannot explore the area due to lack of caving experience or the desired areas are blocked. Seems odd because if I "knew" I was within a mile of such a historical find, I'd damn sure find a way in, then again, I'm not talking from experience, just my own feelings.

And secondly in regards to caving experience, why would you need those skills to explore caves that Swift stored treasure in or other artifacts, I'm sure he didn't use such gear or skills to stash his caches.

Anyways, I give great credit to those members on this forum for their hard work and dedication to the prize.

You guys are amazing!

HCA1961

Feb 1, 2010
Pikeville, KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Fisher F-Point pinpointer, Gray Ghost ears
I can't answer any of your questions just yet, but hopefully I can give you a little help before April. I'm in the same boat! Keep in touch and I'll try to help you where I can.

HCA 1961

HCA1961

Feb 1, 2010
Pikeville, KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Fisher F-Point pinpointer, Gray Ghost ears
Oh, and by the way, what's wrong with toting weapons???
(I try to tote one most of the time!) ;D

OP
OP
M

mtr88

Feb 5, 2010
Nothing at all, I always carry my Glock 23 when in strange lands :thumbsup:

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, Welcome to the best tool for treasure hunters!
I am not an expert on the Swift "legend" but have been intrigued by it and searched for it for a year in the early 1980s then started again about 18 months ago, always having checked out anything I came across about it in between. I may be just a little ahead of your situation. First let me say (without trying to make you mad) you have the wrong idea for a weapon…you need an “old” revolver unless you can find snake shot for the autos…doubt it unless loaded single shot style. Old, because you don’t want a good one in case the shot has a bad effect on the barrel, second if you lose it in a creek or river no big deal, third if it gets confiscated by authorities—or mad landowners you are not out anything. Of course you might want the Glock for a backup…but from my experience most of the people you will meet will be of help and those that are not will ignore you. The snakes however will not ignore you and may do more harm than the people!
Now as far as the Swift legend goes….there are several versions of the Journal out there…most seemed to have a lot in common. Henson’s is probably one of the more common and the reviews of the contents are pretty good. The reason no one has actually found (documented) it is the Probable location fits too big of an area. Swift was not specific enough to get you right to it. Swiftsearcher has a lot of great finds that seem to fit, but so have many other contributors. I am looking in the areas Swift mentions for Latitude and Longitude, he may have been off a little but not as much as to be in Pine mountain in my opinion…first the amount that he would be off is only contributed to the difference in (hold on…the location of the place they measured longitude from…the Prime Meridian) the Latitude was a lot more accurate at that time. In your research you will find that Longitude was different then than now….by several miles…which Meridian did he use…Greenwich, Philadelphia, the Islands off of the French coast? But I am not saying those looking in other areas are wrong!
I too have found several things that look to be Swift related…..near the Little Sandy river and the Carter Caves area all courtesy of the old gentleman who got me interested in the legend…but then many have found a lot in other places. Boomer (on the forum) is a great source of information if you can contact him I think he has had “boots on the ground” as much as anyone Ki and KK are in there too.
So that is just a sample of the various places “West of the headwaters of the Great Sandy River” could be. Keep in mind he had two sets of mines the upper and lower. The majority of people are looking in places like Devil’s fork, the Red river, Pine Mountain, and at least 20 other places in KY. Don’t let anything someone says discourage you from your opinion…it may not be true! Check everything out take others criticism without anger…sometimes they are right sometimes not…we are all really after the same thing but uniquely we are all willing to help each other. Some of us keep some things close to our chests and share most other things. Read and reread everything pertaining to KY in the early days. I even have the Archeological Survey of Kentucky in my small library. Maps of the area as far back as you can find are great most of us have the more common ones that show early markers and places. I can remember when I first found Fillison’s map he made for Thomas Jefferson, it has a place designated as Silver Mines on it! Wow I thought I had found the answer to it all! Haha Now we have some good maps of the Indian trails or traces that show where the early explores probably entered and traveled thru Kentucky. We also have other journals and resources that are coming to light and being shared on the internet. I personally am trying to find a way to actually view the Draper manuscripts as I have a feeling Swift is mentioned more than the more common references to him. Oh, and please don’t make fun of us that type faster than we can spell and make mistakes in verbiage and such! Just ask for clarification if you need it… and use the Tnet forum’s PM tool to contact someone if you don’t want everyone to see a specific thing you want to ask about….so you don’t tip off others to your idea until you get a chance to check it out. Please take plenty of pictures and post the better ones for everyone to see. A lot of things help clarify ideas, and give others a visual on what to look for. And most of all remember it’s a discussion…present ideas and be ready to receive and give criticism and encouragement to each other.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I totally agree with curtis.. He did a wonderful job of introducing you to this site. We do sometimes hold things close, I myself am guilty, as i'm sure we all are. But we are a wealth of information at the same time. I have discovered so many things since I found this site, and hope we can help you as well. Good luck, and here's wishing you the best of luck.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

Matt James
-swiftfan-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
I would like to extend a welcome as well, what better to do on a snowy day than study a great treasure legend. Curtis gives a great introduction to our forum...you'll find this forum on Swift very handy in researching an idea on the Swift legend. Curtis also said it best, we are all looking for the same thing! As of now we all on here hold clues to Swift and very good leads to his areas of activity. Some info shared, some not.You asked some good questions

And now for some questions:

1. Is there a main access road to the area of Swift mines and general "legend"?
2. Can I "legally" just head into the woods or should I be aware of locals as I saw mentioned in another thread where a member say people toting weapons.
3. For all the pictures I see from two members and even coins found, I can't believe that no one has actually found the "treasure" unless A. it's already been found and all that may be left are some loose coins, bars or just historical carvings, signs, etc. or B. Time has destroyed the last remaining signs needed to locate it....who here actually thinks that there is still treasure to be found after 200 odd years?
4. For people being so close and actually locating the caves from the journal, it seems that people either cannot explore the area due to lack of caving experience or the desired areas are blocked. Seems odd because if I "knew" I was within a mile of such a historical find, I'd damn sure find a way in, then again, I'm not talking from experience, just my own feelings.

And secondly in regards to caving experience, why would you need those skills to explore caves that Swift stored treasure in or other artifacts, I'm sure he didn't use such gear or skills to stash his caches.

1. depends on were you focus your hunts
2. some areas are on national forest lands and are free to anyone who loves nature, and some areas our on private lands, you must have the proper permission before entering, always know your area!
3. finding the treasure is 50/50, time has erased the good clues to these locations as they were also well hid when Swift left the area, most of the carvings Swift mentions were on beech trees and have probally been cut by now, also it is possable that the treasure has been found, but with the way Swift hid the cave and mines the treasure still remains hidden till this day waiting to be found by one of us Swift hunters...
4. my feelings our the same, but one must remember Swift hid all traces of his workings, Swift was smart and hid these areas well, i believe he hid them so well that the Indians could not relocate them, after all it was the Indians who told of the locations to Swift, and or Munday.

understanding caves back in Swifts time: A basic torch was probally used which would light up a good area. The cave belonged to the Shawnee which was the place were they buried their dead for many years, this would make this place very sacred and secret to the Shawnee, Swift mentions covering the entrance to this cave as well. My opinion i think Swift and Munday brought the ledge above the opening of this cave down blocking the entrance using a keg or two of black powder, also if a cave like this was found by now we all would have at least heard of something...
I hope this answers some of your questions, some others may have diffrent answers or ideas to add..... good luck and be safe out there -Ki-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread