Some interesting reading

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Interesting indeed and thanks for the post. As the eternal skeptic, I pondered a few of the statements in the passage.......

Silver ore on a hill top? Is is possible that John Swift was mining a hilltop instead of a cave....both?

Is silver ore really snow proof? 12 to 18 inches worth?

I understand having a gun repair kit on a long hunt but would a hand bellow really be necessary?

In my critique of this passage, the arrangement seems to be all over the place. The paragraph that details what a Long Hunter might have taken with him (bellows) seems to be convienently sedge wayed to introduce the ore discovery.

At any rate, it is a very good read....a great snapshot of Pioneer life.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Good read. Alot of names, dates, and places. A good look into the past. I think they used bellows to make bullets, were they to find a lead seam..

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Speaking of lead.. Has anyone ever found the supposed lead seam in Johnson Co. that the indians kidnapped Jenny Wiley worked? We know about the rockhouse where she was kept, and it couldn't have been far.. I was down that way the other day, and it made me think of that.

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
long hunters would have their shot bag and if heading to a new location, small bars of lead to melt has needed. if the area was well known they would know of lead deposits.
there are a few deposits of lead in johnson county. one is on joes branch upper part of johns creek and on mudlick creek.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting stuff,looks as if long hunters were basically the mountain men,trappers of the 1800s.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
long hunters would have their shot bag and if heading to a new location, small bars of lead to melt has needed. if the area was well known they would know of lead deposits.
there are a few deposits of lead in johnson county. one is on joes branch upper part of johns creek and on mudlick creek.

I've heard about the Joe's creek deposit. Mudlick crk...isn't that close to where Jenny Wiley was held? Or am I confusing it with another. Seems like I remember the name of the location getting changed to Mudlick, or from Mudlick as a possible location of the rockhouse where she was kept. Anyway, to the point, I would like to find a lead deposit location, and see if a MD would locate it, or would I need a Geiger counter.

OP
OP
T

The Real Swift

Aug 31, 2011
Manchester, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, White's Coinmaster Pro,Whites 5500/D Series 3
Remember the famous land grant as well:

"Robert Breckenridge and John Filson, as tenants in common, entered 1000 acres of land upon the balance of a treasure warrant No. 10117, about sixty or seventy miles northeasterly from Martins Cabins in Powell Valley to include a silver mine which was improved about seventeen years ago by a certain man named Swift at said mine. Where-in Swift reports he has extracted from the ore a considerable quantity of silver, some of which he made into dollars, and left at or near the mine, together with apparatus for making the same. The land to be in a square and the lines to run at the cardinal points of the compass including the mine in the center as near as may be. This is Lincoln County No.10117, issued on May 17, 1788, and filed in the land office at Richmond, Virginia."

OP
OP
T

The Real Swift

Aug 31, 2011
Manchester, KY
Detector(s) used
I've heard about the Joe's creek deposit. Mudlick crk...isn't that close to where Jenny Wiley was held? Or am I confusing it with another. Seems like I remember the name of the location getting changed to Mudlick, or from Mudlick as a possible location of the rockhouse where she was kept. Anyway, to the point, I would like to find a lead deposit location, and see if a MD would locate it, or would I need a Geiger counter.

A MD would be sufficent.

OP
OP
T

The Real Swift

Aug 31, 2011
Manchester, KY
Detector(s) used
Interesting indeed and thanks for the post. As the eternal skeptic, I pondered a few of the statements in the passage.......

Silver ore on a hill top? Is is possible that John Swift was mining a hilltop instead of a cave....both?

Is silver ore really snow proof? 12 to 18 inches worth?

I understand having a gun repair kit on a long hunt but would a hand bellow really be necessary?

In my critique of this passage, the arrangement seems to be all over the place. The paragraph that details what a Long Hunter might have taken with him (bellows) seems to be convienently sedge wayed to introduce the ore discovery.

At any rate, it is a very good read....a great snapshot of Pioneer life.

Interstingly enough there is an "ice test" for silver because it is thermally conductive.

yomo

Dec 10, 2012
Lincoln County, huh. One in WV. Not Ky or Va. The treasure is in WV.

OP
OP
T

The Real Swift

Aug 31, 2011
Manchester, KY
Detector(s) used
Lincoln County, huh. One in WV. Not Ky or Va. The treasure is in WV.

Wrong. Lincoln County, was organized in 1780, was one of three counties formed out of the original Kentucky county, WV., which then constituted the westernmost part of Virginia. The other counties were Fayette and Jefferson. In 1792 the three counties were separated from Virginia and became the Commonwealth of Kentucky, the 15th state. Thus, in 1788 a treasure warrant would have been filed in Richmond, VA since it was actually part of Virginia at that time and not kentucky. See the link below.

http://www.sos.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/D5622E2D-84DA-471F-B329-3D789107F2BA/0/Animated1776.gif

yomo

Dec 10, 2012
We'll see one day, won't we? You E. Ky guys just keep on keepin' on. Fruitless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions