Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timmon's Swift Mine Search

I was speaking with someone at the Red River Gorge recently and he said he and another fella found evidence of Timmon's search for Swift's mine on Swift Camp Creek. He described a roundish hole between 3-4 feet in diameter. The opening still had evidence of drill holes for explosives. The opening went back about 10 feet or so then dropped vertically to an unknown distance. I asked for a specific location and all I got from him was that it was on the East side of the creek about 1/2 mile North of Turtleback arch area and it was about 2/3 the way up the cliff and no climbing gear is needed to get to it. I was looking at a map with the Timmon's Arch location and it is in the same general location as was described to me, about 1/2 mile North of Turtleback arch and near the confluence of Dog fork. This would make sense that the arch was named after her if she had been searching in that specific area. I know of the sad story of the Timmon's search and all the time and money lost...but has anyone here actually seen the opening? Can anyone verify any of this? I am guessing Ki would be the one to ask since he is from this area. Thanks.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I was speaking with someone at the Red River Gorge recently and he said he and another fella found evidence of Timmon's search for Swift's mine on Swift Camp Creek. He described a roundish hole between 3-4 feet in diameter. The opening still had evidence of drill holes for explosives. The opening went back about 10 feet or so then dropped vertically to an unknown distance. I asked for a specific location and all I got from him was that it was on the East side of the creek about 1/2 mile North of Turtleback arch area and it was about 2/3 the way up the cliff and no climbing gear is needed to get to it. I was looking at a map with the Timmon's Arch location and it is in the same general location as was described to me, about 1/2 mile North of Turtleback arch and near the confluence of Dog fork. This would make sense that the arch was named after her if she had been searching in that specific area. I know of the sad story of the Timmon's search and all the time and money lost...but has anyone here actually seen the opening? Can anyone verify any of this? I am guessing Ki would be the one to ask since he is from this area. Thanks.
I DO believe that the RRG is the KEY area of "interest"...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread