OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are not digging the trash your M-D is set to high. I always dig and remove the trash and search the same ground again. I had the best detectors made at the time. One Garrett I had, could only be used in the middle of nowhere, it was just that sensitive. Do you have a test bed? Find a place in your yard, 4x4, mark the corners with bright plastic pegs and check the area on the highest sensitivity level. When every signal has been checked and removed, the area is cleared and you can place objects at various depths and fill in the holes. Search and see if you can find them. Even the air has some density, different soils have different densities. If you put a penny, nickle, dime, quarter and half dollar at six inches and can't find them all, you are in trouble. Remember if the ground in wet the signals will be stronger, but don't go out into a thunderstorm and try it.

Gravity

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2017
Mandeville, LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, my name is Johnny and I was a serious treasure hunter who use to live in Louisiana. I am 71 years old and have searched for treasure most of my life. I have helped or have found treasure of one kind or another, not just in Louisiana but other states. I would like to give you the benefit of that knowledge and my vast library, only if you want it. I am here to help, if you want it. I will check back every day, several times a day for as long as I can.

Thanks for being available to help find treasure. I am new to the hobby but hope to achieve medium-serious status as soon as the weather clears. I bought a detector last week and dug a few coins and nails in my backyard in Mandeville. I have visions of sweeping the lakefront sands and maybe the lighthouse in MadisonVille but beyond that, I just want to learn more about detecting and digging.

Thanks again for your offer and Semper Fi,

Tom

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, if you were a Marine, Thank you for your service, I was in the Army. "Practice makes perfect!" Build a test box, see below. I have friends, relatives, In-laws and Out-laws, in and around Mandeville. Treasure hunted that area a few times, I am 100% sure I did not get it all.

"If you are not digging the trash your M-D is set to high. I always dig and remove the trash and search the same ground again. I had the best detectors made at the time. One Garrett I had, could only be used in the middle of nowhere, it was just that sensitive. Do you have a test bed? Find a place in your yard, 4x4, mark the corners with bright plastic pegs and check the area on the highest sensitivity level. When every signal has been checked and removed, the area is cleared and you can place objects at various depths and fill in the holes. Search and see if you can find them. Even the air has some density, different soils have different densities. If you put a penny, nickle, dime, quarter and half dollar at six inches and can't find them all, you are in trouble. Remember if the ground in wet the signals will be stronger, but don't go out into a thunderstorm and try it."

Last edited:

vjmelancon35

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soldiers and Marines should leave all the treasure to we Air Force vets ;-) Especially if it's anywhere near the New Iberia area... Seriously though, I would sure appreciate any tips you might have that could point me in the right direction, Johnny.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VJ, Thank you for your service. Where would you like to look? Let us first start with your family tree. I call this "Shack Your Family Tree, Maybe A Pirate Will Fall Out. No, not one pirate named Melancon. Iberia Parish is full of Stories. Jefferson Island has had a lot of people looking for Lafitte treasure. In 1921 several gold cones were found. 1928 at a place called "Voodoo Land, $40.000 in English, French and Mexican gold and silver, was found. In 1933 Spanish and Mexican gold and silver coins were found. I am told these sites are on private land. Marsh Island, treasure from a wrecked ship found on Padre Island, Texas, was buried by the Spanish for safe keeping, until another ship could be sent to retrieve it. State property, can't dig that. 1952 a "Bushel of Coins" was found on Jefferson Island.

Hubertville, a section of Jeanerette, has a story about a planter who buried all of his valuables and joined the Confederate Army and never returned. Avery Island is said to be the first Indian settlement in Louisiana. There are more Indian sites. Saint Gabrial, The Houmas House Plantation, roomer-ed to have buried treasure there. There is a lot of history there.

The thing is I could go on and on about just your Parish, I you want to know about a specific treasure in area, please ask, tell me what your are using. Good Luck.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, guys and girls, I am getting request via P.M. for information that are in areas I have never searched in and it is my hope that some of you will jump in on. I have no reason to withhold information on any treasure, not even the one site I own, my wife would probably shoot you if you came near it. I live on an Indian Mound and she enjoys picking up tools, arrowheads, beads etc... She makes the gardener cut the grass extra short there. There is no way I could go to all of the places and look for them myself anymore. There was a time when I would jump on a plane or in my truck and go, those days are gone. The farthest I travel is to hospitals, next trip is on Friday, 9-8-17, for more test and I will be there all day for sure. Be kind, if you know of something there is no-way you can follow up of, say something. I have been following the Beale Papers, most of my life, I do not know for certain it exist, but I try to help others prove it one way or another. Those, great bunch of guys will do anything it takes to put the story to rest. I hope we can do this for some of the other stories.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TO: spyguy:

My wife and I had wanted to go to Port St. Lucie on the east coast, park in a lot along the shore and hunt the beach. A friend worked out of there on a dredge boat, pumping sand on shore to replenish the beach after storms. People were finding treasures all over the beach. The problem was hoods were waiting to rob them after they returned to their cars. The dredges suck up everything that does not clog the nozzle and deposited it on shore, including prehistoric shark teeth, five to six inches across.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, I will know more on Friday, test all day, I will not be home before dark.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth, you might want to check the Gulf side of the railroad tracks. Also, Waveland Ave. had a park or two on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old school yard in Clarmont Harbor, the school was red brick and after Katrina the bricks were everywhere. It was on the street closest to Buccaneer State Park.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The old school yard in Clarmont Harbor, the school was red brick and after Katrina the bricks were everywhere. It was on the street closest to Buccaneer State Park.

Is it ok to detect there? Because I'll go tomorrow morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I just looked at it on google earth. Do you know when the school was built? IMG_0904.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Is it ok to detect there? Because I'll go tomorrow morning. " As far as I know, just fill your holes. I have hunted a lot of "PUBLIC" schools and no one has ever said anything about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread