What is the minimum weight for a magnet to fish with?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buy the strongest you can afford. 20# wouldnt pull anything but maybe a hammer off the bottom. Dont tie cheap rope to a good magnet either.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jason in Enid, Would 100lbs be sufficient?

NO. Also the 'strongest you can afford' is not the way to go. Remember, you have to release your magnet from whatever it sticks to so if it stcks to a submerged car or something equally heavy you will lose that 1000lb magnet.
A 350lb magnet will suffice.

OP
OP
A

alba359

Dec 5, 2008
South Louisiana
Thanks guys. I have three concerns. (1)Getting a magnet that adhears to an object too heavy for me to retrieve. (2)Magnet gets entangled or stuck in debris or underwater plants, rocks etc. I may look for getting at least two inexpensive magnets for back-up. (3) SAFTEY ( most important). Has anyone been seriously injured with 350lbs. Magnet? Thanks, Don

Last edited:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alba359 quote: Has anyone been seriously injured with 350lbs. Magnet? Thanks, Don

Just don't get yourself between the magnet and the magnetic...

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I have three concerns. (1)Getting a magnet that adhears to an object too heavy for me to retrieve. (2)Magnet gets entangled or stuck in debris or underwater plants, rocks etc. I may look for getting at least two inexpensive magnets for back-up. (3) SAFTEY ( most important). Has anyone been seriously injured with 350lbs. Magnet? Thanks, Don

Brute Magnetics carries a plastic cone that fits over the magnet which reduces the chance of hang-ups on submerged rocks and trees.
It's not a bad idea to have a spare. In this niche of treasure hunting you must be prepared to lose your magnet.
And yeah, even a 350lb magnet can crush bones if you get careless.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a hand crank lol

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to retrieve a old gas lawn mower with a 400 lb magnet so a 20 lb item should fall somewhere around that weight. a good rope like a poly type and lock tight on the magnet threads should put you in business.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread