Possible 12lb cannonball river find while magnet fishing... interesting story!

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've posted about a cannonball I was hoping to buy recently, it was NOT authentic. I passed. My father and I have our legendary cannonball search in the pond, but haven't recovered it yet. Today I got a call at 10:30am, my dad asked if I could free myself and head out to the French Broad river in Asheville, NC to do a little magnet fishing for some artillery. The battle of Asheville is easily researchable with a quick google search, but here is a SHORT rundown. A few hundred confederate troops were holding the city of Asheville towards the final days of the war. The union planned to take the town. The confederates in Asheville had 4, 12lb napoleon cannons. I'm not sure what artillery the union forces had if any. There are still earthworks in the park here dug during the battle. It is said that the 2 forces shot at each other from sun up to sundown. The union got word the war was basically over( and were tricked into believing they faced a much larger threat in Asheville) so they beat a hasty retreat up the French broad river back towards Tennessee... my country(western NC, Eastern TN). As the federal soldiers left they were said to have dropped everything that was not immediately important. Basically lots of stuff should be all over the trails and the river. The only listed casualty from the battle is an officer who's horse fell on top of him "WHILE THE TROOPS WERE CROSSING THE FRENCH BROAD RIVER NEAR THE BATTLE SHORTLY AFTER". My father and I have been researching every possible lead to find where they crossed, but the best way to find a crossing is always to get out and look for it. We had a decent sized area in mind to focus on today. Looking for shallow spots across the water, signs of old trails etc. My dad pulled into an outcropping of big rocks in the middle of the river in a rather wide and shallow/flat area and started using my propointer at we have taped to a pole for our recent pond hunts. In a few minutes he had a signal. When the sediment cleared, he could see the 2 ,3 ring minie balls in a deep crevice between the Rocks. He reached Down to get the minie balls(he dropped one putting it in his boat and we never found it again!) The pinpointer got another signal. The sediment cleared and he couldnt see anything. This hole was deep so he got his magnet fishing magnet out and dropped it in the crevice. He started yelling for me that something was sticking to his magnet in the same spot as the minie balls. I was in my chest waders poking around with my magnet stick and looking for bottles etc. I worked my way to him. About 50 feet from him I hear him talking to himself and obviously pulling something heavy out of the river... or he was stuck and cursing the river, lol! He proceeded to pull this large iron ball out of the water and we both almost $#!+ our pants! Hysterical laughter and all that good stuff! Obviously this needs IDing, (and I know the chances are slim) but it was lucky to find something so cannonball like on a cannonball hunt in a BIG river one way or the other. Our research has us about 3/4 mile as the crow flies from the dead center of the battle. Cannonballs should have surely made it into the water. Not to mention the 2 minie balls found in the same crevice just a few feet apart. I cant tell if the minie is fired(looks to be to me) or not? I didnt even see it in person. I figured dropped minie balls in the MIDDLE of the low spot in the river would almost surely mean they crossed nearby These pics are what my mom sent me when they got the ball home and rinsed off etc. I am taking my accurate scale and large caliper over tomorrow for measurements and will get better pics. I understand there isnt much that can be done but speculate until we get the real weight and diameter. I will say my parents weighed the ball on their bathroom scale and it WAS barely over 12lbs... how much I am not sure. I know the listed size is supposed to be 4.5" give or take on the 12lb if my memory serves me correctly? This appears to be VERY close by eye. Again, useless info until I can get accurate measurements. I couldnt wait to post the story and the pics so I will just have to update tomorrow. If this is a confederate cannonball from my local area, Battle of Asheville, it will be a VERY special find for us. I know we are heading back asap for more searching. The soldiers were even said to have abandoned lots of rifles etc and I cant imagine a better time to ditch something than when you are running through a wide and rough river. Not to mention all that would be dropped! I'd love to find where the officer went down on his horse... you know he lost some great stuff. If anybody has any opinions based on the pics, I'm open to hearing them! This is definitely a very perfectly round, metal ball in the general size I'm looking for. It does have what I would consider a sprue hole and a mold seam, but the ball appears to have been finished pretty well. I'm well aware of the other possible items this could be, but given the area we were hunting, other relics found in the immediate area and even the size of cannons KNOWN to have been fired directly towards the area... I cant help but be hopeful! Thanks for the ongoing support I appreciate every comment! I plan to start posting some of my bottle hunts and other adventures soon. I am a doer, not a documentarian... but I'm trying to change that lol! Thanks for reading!
Resized_20191014_144853.jpeg received_2695060653880063.jpeg received_1341601976014723.jpeg received_2190113294617274.jpeg received_1385240194989128.jpeg received_2561800214042875.jpeg received_952892775091984.jpeg received_1335007626649138.jpeg received_761472970954337.jpeg received_2427391650920817.jpeg received_2462823074037205.jpeg received_507057729841895.jpeg
Jim Brown
Bonez Customs and Collectables
@bonezcustoms on IG

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
That looks like a really neat find there MrMarsHill.
I am sure you will catch the attention of TheCannonballGuy who will provide information. Again, nice find :icon_thumright:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!!!��

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what else could it be , I think you got yourselves a..CANNONBALL

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and it looks like a great find. I'm no expert but it seems like you've made a strong case for this being what you say it is. I've been to Asheville, and I think I was even down around that river. I didn't even metal detect yet! Your history really adds to the cannon ball and makes it much more than just a cannon ball. Congrats!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what else could it be , I think you got yourselves a..CANNONBALL

It could be a shot put or a mill ball, not all iron spheres were cannon balls. Only thing that intrigues me is why it isn't more rusty if it was in a river for over 130 years.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
finding 3 ringers along side it leads me to believe it's the ...real deal

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm set to head over today and get the ACCURATE measurements. I know that is most important. I feel the same as you all! I wondered about the rust too? In the pic with the magnet still attached, that is literally fresh out of the water. No electrolysis or soaking etc has been done. The pics on the towel are after a quick rinse and pat dry. I know the lead we find is usually well preserved... but cast iron? I know this could be a mill ball as well, a definite possibility. A shotput also( I would have loved to see the guy who through this beast out where we found it LOL) all definitely possible. I will say we pulled nothing else from the area. The large ball and 2 minie balls, lots of rocks and water. Once we pulled the ball from the crevice, no more signals. I'm having a hard time not going back today... but it's a dangerous proposition by oneself. It's a weekend trip anyway. I'm sure thecannonballguy will chime in once the proper information has been provided... stay tuned!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice story and find, thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the find and hope it turns out to be the real deal. As to the lack of rust, perhaps if it sunk down into an oxygen deficient environment, the anaerobic sediment may have kept it from rusting. Just a guess to try to explain its pristine appearance.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be a shot put or a mill ball, not all iron spheres were cannon balls. Only thing that intrigues me is why it isn't more rusty if it was in a river for over 130 years.

Agreed.

IMO... this is something other than a cannonball...UNLESS... this is a recent fire.

Regardless... one thing is for sure... this is not a historical / antique ball.

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for those who were waiting. Daughter got sick at school, had to pick her up, never got the measurements... Coming Tomorrow I promise! Thanks for the new replies, I'm keeping my mind open for now. The size and history of the location etc say one thing, but the measurements and comdition and all the other factors combined will be the definite end. I honestly feel chances are this is NOT a cannonball, EVEN with all the background etc. I know most cannonballs that are thought to be found, are just something else. I'll be very happy if this is the real deal for sure. What a coincidence it would be to find a single, 12lb mill ball or shotput next to 2 minie balls in the middle of a river in line of site of 4, 12lb cannons. The odds on that must be staggering. Fingers crossed anyway and the minie balls are a good sign for more relics either way. Just waiting to get the facts straight on this ball. Any more opinions are welcome!

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as a recent fire, I couldnt say. I find no records of an official cannon firing in Asheville since the Civil war. This is in town, so it would be quickly noticed lol. This is also the South though and gunshots etc are not uncommon. I'd think this was a mill ball or shotput before a recently fired cannonball. Maybe it was a relic and was thrown in the river? I can only imagine it got where it was after being launched quite some distance(150 feet,just a guess, or more from shore)...though it could have been dropped off a small boat etc. I would have considered it a possible improvised anchor if it made any sense to use one, or had any place to tie a rope etc. The river is too shallow and fast for anything other than rafts, canoes, kayaks etc ... no "real" boats I would consider. And the only way to STOP is to get caught up on rocks etc. I do agree with the condition though. It seems unbelieveable. I'm hoping being trapped in the crevice down in the silt protected the ball and it has been there since the war... but God only knows. I'll have a decent idea once I get the measurements. I know that is the most important factor. We will see shortly, hopefully after my next post with the details! Thanks for the reply and HH!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After consideration of your last posts... and rereading your original... this is a mystery...

I have step back and scratch my head until a weight and size are obtained / posted.

I will say this... it LOOKS right for a CB... just not for a OLD submerged CB.

It is the condition that is throwing this "off".

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys! I got the measurements this evening using my postal scale and my digital caliper. The ball weighed 12.18 lbs. The scale is accurate and is calibrated regularly(for my business shipping). The diameter of the ball is 4.49 inches. This falls just BELOW what the measurements I find for this era 12lb, solid shot cannonball are listed as. I hope thecannonballguy may come by and give the final word. I actually spent some time with the ball today. Not in a boat, or in waders in the river with sun in my eyes. Not with the magnet still attached or in a picture etc lol! It is really well formed. I tried to find any out-of-roundness but was honestly unable by eye. The mold seam is more visible in person than in the pictures, but is finished very smooth. There are a few surface imperfections, but the ball is in decent shape. AMAZING shape given the time it may have spent underwater(I'm not jumping the gun and positively identifying this object, I'm NO expert) especially if it was fired... which is the only explanation I could find for its final resting place. I did not snap any more pics but I can and will if necessary any time.I enjoyed my time with the ball, studied it closely and left it to be displayed at my parents house. Given the history and known artillery of the area during the CW, the location it was found, the CW relics discovered in the vicinity and now the measurements lining up... What else could it be honestly? I am feeling much more confident with the good measurements now though for sure. My dad said he didnt care either way, hes displaying it proudly whatever it may be... but he still wants to know, lol! I hope to get back in the river this weekend, I think that is the plan right now. I am also hoping to hit a NEW open ended permission next to the botanical gardens in the dead center of the battle... I just gotta get out there and do it! I'll be sure to post any finds! I'll be watching this post as well for any further opinions etc! Let us know what YOU think thecannonballguy! You are the authority on this, and your knowledge is MUCH appreciated. The only reason I know what I do, is from reading your information on the subject! Thanks again to all for the support and I am really hoping to become a more active part of this community. I am picking/treasure hunting/ researching/experimenting/exploring and just plain adventuring about 75% of the time these days... why not share it with a community who is interested lol! Thanks again.
Jim Brown
Bonez Customs and Collectables
@bonezcustoms on IG

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And FYI, my dad did get video during the recovery etc. It will only be posted if the ball is authenticated... he doesn't want to show himself on video, but will if this is a real cannonball lol. The condition is a mystery, but stranger things have happened for sure. The ball was wedged between 2 very large rocks protruding from the bottom of the river. It was mostly covered in silt/gravel/etc and was approximately 3 feet under the surface. My dad couldnt see it until he was pulling it up. Just enough iron poking out for the magnet to grab on I reckon, could definitely be an oxygen deprived location. I hope to be getting the final word and I'll be sure to post the link to the vid... if it gets posted lol!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread