509.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4784.JPG
    IMG_4784.JPG
    509.1 KB · Views: 58

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Those are authentic old ones. You can't really see the flats or facets from hand grinding on them with all the wear on them, but the wear looks right and the style and stone is right. Most modern mineral marbles aren't the standard agate like these, they use some of the fanciest stuff they can find and all sorts of different stones. I do remember seeing someone making agate marbles in the 1980s by hand, facets and all, so even with the facets there is still room for doubt about age. When you see one with play wear it pretty much seals the deal though, because the modern "minearl spheres" were made mostly for decoration, collecting, and came along mostly after the demise of the game of marbles among kids. So unless someone is trying to fake one (and they aren't that valuable so I don't know why they would), the ones with heavy wear are pretty much always going to be old. The glassy wet shiny ones are the ones you have to be suspicious of.

OP
OP
D

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are authentic old ones. You can't really see the flats or facets from hand grinding on them with all the wear on them, but the wear looks right and the style and stone is right. Most modern mineral marbles aren't the standard agate like these, they use some of the fanciest stuff they can find and all sorts of different stones. I do remember seeing someone making agate marbles in the 1980s by hand, facets and all, so even with the facets there is still room for doubt about age. When you see one with play wear it pretty much seals the deal though, because the modern "minearl spheres" were made mostly for decoration, collecting, and came along mostly after the demise of the game of marbles among kids. So unless someone is trying to fake one (and they aren't that valuable so I don't know why they would), the ones with heavy wear are pretty much always going to be old. The glassy wet shiny ones are the ones you have to be suspicious of.

Thank you! When I put them to the "bouncing light test", it indicated that roughly 80% of the ones I have were faceted and when I look really hard under a mag I can see slight "level spots" as well. Even tho I am not going to keep the ones I have, I find the history of them absolutely fascinating. I was rather amazed to see the value was indeed not very high given their age; not to mention the WORK that went into making them. Would you be able to give me even a guess or an estimate of the collective value of about 40, most in excellent condition, but not all? It is ok if you don't feel comfortable doing so without seeing them all...I believe I have a buyer who will pay me what I paid for them. Thanks again for your input.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
It depends on size, condition, and how nice the stone is. If they are mint and average size and style, then probably $5 to $10 each. Larger and/or prettier ones will go for more... sometimes $20, $30, and more. Price could vary depending on the crowd you're pitching to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on size, condition, and how nice the stone is. If they are mint and average size and style, then probably $5 to $10 each. Larger and/or prettier ones will go for more... sometimes $20, $30, and more. Price could vary depending on the crowd you're pitching to.
Thank you. I wasn't sure if I got "taken" when I purchased them but maybe not. I paid $160 for the lot I have and that is what buyer is willing to pay. I've never sold any of my marbles before so I didn't want to hugely undersell myself; but nor do I want to rip someone else off (not my way of doing business!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions