How would you prospect this land in NC?

Bluegrassriver

Oct 18, 2008
Kentucky near the Ohio River!
Upvote 0

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
I would do it the same way the old timers did. With a gold pan, sampling every 10 feet or so. If there wasn't flowing water available then I would bring my small recirculating drop riffle setup, and dig dirt and then feed it to the sluice. With my small power plant charger, it will run for 8 hours or more, which is plenty of time to cover lots of area.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look around for any rocks or unusual features in the terrain and dig a little, if you start finding decomposing quartz, clay layers, rounded gravel/rocks, or anything different than the normal soil, sample the material by panning.

As mentioned if no water is on site you will have too bring some water for panning, even if you have water onsite bring a small tub for panning, it's easier to bring water to a tub then it is to take each pan to the water and if you bring water, you will want to recycle/save as much water as you can.

Be sure to have the tools you need if you do find quartz veins, rock hammer/pick, chisel/s, prybar, etc., a hand cart to carry your equipment will save you a lot of time/sore muscles in your endeavor.

Skip

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU Seeker said:
Look around for any rocks or unusual features in the terrain and dig a little, if you start finding decomposing quartz, clay layers, rounded gravel/rocks, or anything different than the normal soil, sample the material by panning.

As mentioned if no water is on site you will have too bring some water for panning, even if you have water onsite bring a small tub for panning, it's easier to bring water to a tub then it is to take each pan to the water and if you bring water, you will want to recycle/save as much water as you can.

Be sure to have the tools you need if you do find quartz veins, rock hammer/pick, chisel/s, prybar, etc., a hand cart to carry your equipment will save you a lot of time/sore muscles in your endeavor.

Skip
I would also check the big rocks you find with a detector, before throwing them away. Some gold may be present in the quartz you dig up........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread