Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks,
I am considering the purchase of the 8 x 14 DD coil but before I do I wanted to ask what You Current Users like and do not like about the this coil on the GMT? This is an open area with minimum obstructions type of coil. So how does the GMT with the 8 x 14 work as a package? Is it helpful to hip mount the electronics? Can you still locate smaller gold with it? How difficult is pin pointing? In mineralised soil with hot rocks in it how much extra detecting depth can one expect? Is the coil size more trouble than it is worth?

This is more than an "it is winter and I'm bored cause I can't get out into the mountains" question though it is winter and I can't get out into the mountains where I'd rather be so I am bored. The GMT has 3 coils that can be used with it, I own the other two and I've an invitation to hunt a large new area and the size of the area has prompted my interest in the 8 x 14.

Thank you ahead of your responses for your responses and I look forward to any and all comments.

63bkpkr

Upvote 0

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
63bkpkr said:
Howdy Folks,
I am considering the purchase of the 8 x 14 DD coil but before I do I wanted to ask what You Current Users like and do not like about the this coil on the GMT? This is an open area with minimum obstructions type of coil. So how does the GMT with the 8 x 14 work as a package? Is it helpful to hip mount the electronics? Can you still locate smaller gold with it? How difficult is pin pointing? In mineralised soil with hot rocks in it how much extra detecting depth can one expect? Is the coil size more trouble than it is worth?

This is more than an "it is winter and I'm bored cause I can't get out into the mountains" question though it is winter and I can't get out into the mountains where I'd rather be so I am bored. The GMT has 3 coils that can be used with it, I own the other two and I've an invitation to hunt a large new area and the size of the area has prompted my interest in the 8 x 14.

Thank you ahead of your responses for your responses and I look forward to any and all comments.

iF YOU ARE GOING TO HUNT A LARGE OPEN AREA IT WILL BE BETTER YOU WILL COVER MORE GROUND WITH LESS EFFORT. It will detect deeper than the stock coil. I believe they advertise approx. 30% but that all depends on the soil composition anyway. If you know your machine and can pinpoint without difficulty you will not have any other problem with the larger coil. I use a 20 inch coil and have no problem pinpointing with it.
As with any LARGER size coil you give up a bit of sensitivity to smaller objects as a trade off for more depth and coverage but again it depends on the soil comp. your hunting.
In conclusion I own a GMT and have had the large coil at one time I did not keep it as I enjoyed the stock elliptical coil much better for hunting gold and meteorites.

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank,
Thank you so much as your comments are Very helpful! What in the world or Where in the world did you find a 20 inch coil for the GMT?

I went to a local metal detector club meeting last tuesday and a fellow had a 12" diameter Hot Shott 50 hz coil for sale, asking $229 for it. It was light as three or four feathers and in good shape. Nitro of the Whites forum mentioned that swinging the 8 x 14 really made his arms tired, did or do you notice that when you were using it? A 20" Coil, wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again thank you for your comments, 63bkpkr

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I referred to the 20" coil for pinpointing. I did not have one for the GMT. Its another detector I refer to.
Depending on you age, physical condition swinging any coil let alone a larger than stock one will become a burden with the amount of time you swing in a day.
There was a period when I was suffering from joint problems that even the stock coil became undo-able.
I loved detecting so much I figured out how to detach the control box and have only the coil and rod which made a tremendous difference and allowed me to keep on swingin during that period. I'll try to post a link so you can see what I ended up with.
http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=17500

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Frank,
is there any way you could send your pictures directly to me? I tried opening the post but could not and my user name and password do not work, I've sent a request for help but so far the folks on that forum have not responded.

Thanks 63bkpkr

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
63 I was at the gun show here in Placerville and there was a Whites booth the guty is from Marysville., pm me if you want his info. So i I have a gm4 and I was asking if he could get a Bigfoot coil he said no....ha ha..and proceded to tell me i needed the small nugget shooter coil just like the biigger coil you may lose a little depth however, the smaller coil gives better speration and deals with mineralization better...smaller footprint makes it more stable in the kind of hot ground we have with the fast changing minerilizatiion over small areas.Would make my gm more stable and yours would be a nice shooter.I would have bought it but, I was at the gun show for bullets not coils i heard the Zip Zip of a Whites from afar and just had to go see. ;D

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi pvillehunter,

It is good to know that someone is thinking of me, err about my detector that is. Thank you for the input! Ray Romeo runs a whites shop in Richmond (look him up on the Whites dealers site) and he was the 12" Big Foot Concentric coil for 50khz whites detectors. It is a used coil, in good shape and weighs about 4 feathers worth, get the coil cover for it and he's asking $229 for it. He is very knowledgeable, is easy to talk to and is a good guy, check with him on his opinion about your G4 & coils.

When I bought my GMT I got it with the stock 6 x 10 and the Little 4 x 6 shooter coil, the 8 x 14 is the only one I do not have. The shooter is a tiny thing and gets in small places, it is slow as it does not cover much ground per swing however last year I used it for checking my buckets of raw material before I panned them and it never missed any gold. Why would I want the 8 x 14? I've been offered a mountain side this summer and I expect at least some of the area will be somewhat free of obstructions and the 8 x 14 would cover it faster and go deeper so that's why I'm looking at it. Also, I have a $100 accessories gift certificate from White's which brings the price of the coil for me down to $150.00. Nice! But do I need it? I have till July 2011 to make up my mind and find the cash for it.

BUT in the meantime I've ordered one of Doc's Swingy Thingy rigs too see if it really takes the weight of the unit and puts it into my body not my arm. Then when I get out on the mountain in mid May (I hope I hope I hope) I will see what I see. Till then it is all anticipation and dreams and some work on the Frog and Dredge political battle that I've volunteered for. Have you seen my posts in the Dredge & Highbanker section, please go read and email or snail mail in your comments. Thanks

I've some full time industry job potentials that I'm working on. You know like a regular paycheck, benefits, health insr and the like. I'm also working on promoting my handyman service and its got its own possibilities so I'm engaged in doing what I'm supposed to be doing to be involved in my life. Then other things will come along like spring and then like as usual "a young man's fancy turns to the mountains" naturally!!

Thank you for the heads up on the White's info. I'm looking forward to hearing the zip zip of the GMT this summer myself and I am excited about that!! Take care and stay warm and safe...........63bkpkr

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
bugger, nobody has any info on depth for the 8x14.. I sold mine to a club member as the coil plug was damaged, and he had a replacement.

I read 30% from Whites website on depth, but even 15% above the stock 6x10 would be awesome.. $249 retail in Aus.. so its not a bank breaker to pick up another one

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depth on the 8x14? It will get less depth than the stock coil on the smallest gold. On a bit larger gold it will get the same depth. On the largest nuggets it will get another inch or two, except in very bad ground, when the increase in ground mineralization will force a decrease in Gain offsetting any likely performance increase. Any real depth increases will be in milder ground.

All in all I think it is a wash so for me the main reason to use the coil is better ground coverage where desired. Unfortunately the coil is heavier than need be so hard to get excited about it.

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Steve, nice summary! I did purchase the coil but when I arrived at the location I purchased it for, for the first time, I found it was not open country. I did take it into my canyon and found that it is very buoyant in water so much so that keeping it under water takes a lot of energy to keep it submerged, not fun! So far I've not found anything with it................63bkpkr

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome Steve, thank you. You just saved me spending $249 lol..

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Spent a lot of time in the desert this winter swinging my TDI with the 8x14 Mono Digger coil. Man, by the end of the day was my rotater cuff *****ing at me! Was it worth it? A few times the extra depth did make a difference in finds but not too often where I hunted. I see it as an area specific tool so I guess I'm glad I have one.

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HP, do you swing it with the box on the shaft? Might be easier with the box around your neck. I've done that with my 6000 D and what a wonderful difference! But, that is a big and heavy coil...................63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread