jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my MXT for several years and have found some real nice things over the years. In two week the girlfriend and I are invited to a lode claim in central Oregon, the gentleman who invited me said that he has found 15 ounces of pocket gold with his MD in the last month. I have tried to detect for gold but haven't found any. My question is, is there anything that I should know for finding pocket gold with my MXT that may be different than coin and relic hunting. He has told me that these pockets have been down as deep as 12". The coils that I have are a 950 eclipse that came with it and also a eclipse DD 4"x10". Any tips would be great,

jog

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OreJoeDude, Good Morning!
I use a GMT and have all three coils for it. I'm working rivers in the Sierras here in NorCal, the little one goes down ~ 6", the middle or stock coil and the Large coil both go deeper. To date I've only found nuggets with the small coil. The Large coil really floats in water so if a person needs to keep it down under the water for any time you'd better have very strong arms or tie a rock to it to help keep it down.........63bkpkr

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
I ran a comparison of a stock MXT (9.5 inch coil) with a stock GMT (DD 11X6 coil) and found that the MXT will hit almost as small gold as the GMT - This done in mineralized Colorado Gold Belt soil, using real gold samples. The smallest test finds (sample set on top of the soil in a plastic bag): 3 grains for the XMT, 1.5 grains for the GMT (these were the sample sizes I have on hand in my test sample selection).

In Colorado, I tend to work old dredge sites - the smaller 4X6 coil works best for me - lots of 3 inch and larger river rock.

Last edited:

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No suprise that the MXT and GMT are so close. I read a report years ago about the need for a newer gold machine to replace the goldmaster series. The whites engineers started the MXT as the new gold machine and then added coin and relic to it to create a all-in-one product. IMHO the MXT is still one of the best platforms produced by anyone.
The dedicated gold detectors will find smaller targets than the MXT due to the operating frequency used. +/- 70khz vs. 17khz or so.
My go-to coil is the 6x9DD although I will switch, if needed, to the 4x6 shooter. I typically hunt rocky, nasty ground so the stock 950 does,nt get used much.
Good Luck
Steve

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The circuit for the prospecting mode of the MXT was derived from the GMT(a much better circuit), but the GMT operates at 48khz and the MXT operates at 14khz. That is why the GMT finds smaller gold as jmoller stated earlier. The higher freq finds smaller gold. The GMT is a much better gold machine because it is totally dedicated to finding gold. The MXT while being a great machine, is designed to do three things very well, prospectng, coin and jewerly, and relics. While the GMT is wholly dedecated to one thing, gold. I like the MXT because it's versitile, the fact that it can use concentric coils, and the coin and jewery mode can be used for prospecting if set-up correctly.

OroJoeDude

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
63bkpkr said:
OreJoeDude, Good Morning!
I use a GMT and have all three coils for it. I'm working rivers in the Sierras here in NorCal, the little one goes down ~ 6", the middle or stock coil and the Large coil both go deeper. To date I've only found nuggets with the small coil. The Large coil really floats in water so if a person needs to keep it down under the water for any time you'd better have very strong arms or tie a rock to it to help keep it down.........63bkpkr

I personally thank everyone here for there input!
I believe i know which coils i will be purchasing in the near future!
Thanks Again!

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eddys Gold #2.jpg The guy that I was MDing with in eastern Oregon just pulled this out of a seam in some rotten bedrock under a pile of rocks right next to where I had been searching, THAT REALLY SUCKS....... Maybe next time.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jog,

Thanks for posting the pictures--it's always great to see gold being found.

All the best,

Lanny

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the photos, hope that you get another chance at this area in the near future...

MXT SNIPER

Sep 30, 2004
I would seriously consider using a gold bug 2 for trailing those thin quartz veins that occasionally pop out into pocket gold areas, I have personally watched a successful pocket mining operation in action for several days this summer and I can tell you the gold bug 2 is the only detector that can track a quartz vein with trace gold in it till it widens out to bigger gold. I tried my mxt w/tiny dd coil on some of their crushed paying ore, zero signals, then used my gold bug 2 w/6.5" col over same ore and wow, signals all over the place!! I have personally seen the gold from a couple pockets my friends have found, 2 ozs, 6ozs, but these pockets are not found easily nor every day or month, or months, but they do come up if you can track the quartz veins that are gold bearing. Email me for more details if interested on how these guys operation is put together to produce.

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found under bedrock using the 4 x 6 DD Shooter coil.

Attachments

• 191_9174.JPG
    191_9174.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread