Metal detecting question

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes there is a lot of gold left. Many people that look along rivers and creeks don't take into account where the rivers flowed 1,000 to 10,000 years ago (ie. Benches). Knowing your detector well will help you find things that people missed (proper manual ground balancing is very important - auto ground balance often helps you miss good targets - I use ground grab on my GMT and then adjust the ground balance manually from there on - you can improve your sensitivity greatly, if you know what your detector is telling you). I also use a smaller coil (very rocky where I detect). Most people don't have the patience to really detect/hunt effectively. Its easy to think there is nothing left, when you don't take the initiative to study the geology of a place. If detecting for gold was easy (its the hardest type of detecting I know of), gold would not be so valuable.

In the desert, you have a different set of rules, but people keep finding nuggets at Rich Hill Az (it's hit with some of the best gold detector gear on the planet, almost daily - but there is still gold found there).

If you are looking for gold ore that is bound in sulfides, your detector will be of little value, even when there is a lot of gold all around you. Learn what was found at a site in the past, and get to know what the finds looked like.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely, Blue! People are prooving that every month! Maybe not like the fortyniners did but enough to keep the game alive! Go get your share.... and welcome to the NET. TTC

May 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've lost count how many times some has approached me while hunting to tell me I'm wasting my time ....I smile and tell them I know I'm just tuning in my gear...and gettin' some exercise....( while I walk away with goodies in my pouch ) !! Earlier post said it all " Patience " !!!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's been my experience that there's always gold left where the Oldtimer's struck it. Moreover, they left nuggets behind where they worked the areas hard. Why? They didn't have the technology to see inside the bedrock like a great dedicated gold detecting machine can.

Is there still gold left in places that have been hunted and worked? Absolutely. I like nothing better than going to a hammered area that others swear is worked out and find some gold they left behind.

Keep swinging that coil and read everything you can on detecting for gold and you'll eventually find some--even in "worked out" areas (and yes, I'm talking about ones that have been metal detected as well).

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread