Im looking to prospect Alaska near coldfoot if any takers want to go?

keepmehumblelord

Jan 10, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As well as california I am also interested in going to alaska. As we all know AK has much more placer gold then all the states in my opinion. One thing i lack is 4x4 vehicle so either someone will have to have that or if someone wants to fly into alaska and hike to some streams and camp it out for a few months then that would be great! If there are any crazy prospectors like myself out there that want to go for the gold in this rigged and crazy environment please let me know. I have some great places in mine to prospect and if neither of us have a proper vehicle then you must be up for hiking into the wilderness and have it packed into one hiking bag. I have a folding sluice, a 2.2lb metal detector that folds up and i have a tent that unfortunately is 6 lbs but I am ready to go i just preffer someone to go with especially in this environment. Would i go by myself? Yes i would but first i will see if anyone wants to go. Gold is where it is found so who is up to go with me? You must be free and not tied down to a job because this is not just a weekend trip im wanting to go for a few months and if the gold is good then maybe longer.

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only 3 females over 18 in cold foot. And 5 guys. I don't like the odds. I got coldfeet! TTC

OP
OP
K

keepmehumblelord

Jan 10, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes very few people there but the point is going for the gold and not woman haha. I have considered AZ as well but I dont know anything about arizona nugget shooting except you need to find drywashes and there is very little water so camping out would be almost impossible without a water source.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a life-long Alaskan my advice would be that you do more research. For instance "As we all know AK has much more placer gold then all the states in my opinion" shows that you do not know the placer gold production of Alaska versus California. The Coldfoot area has many mining claims owned by miners rather famous up here for their shall we say "protective attitude" regarding their mining claims. Still, there are certainly opportunities there for someone that does the proper research.

Steve Herschbach

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keepme... sorry, I looked up Coldfeet to find that info and turned it into a joke. With that being said, an adventure to AK would not be any joke. Wouldn't this time of year be too cold? 30 years ago I would have been part of your troupe. But not today. Tnx. Keep us updated. TTC

OP
OP
K

keepmehumblelord

Jan 10, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I am thinking that I am gonna hold off on ALaska for now. I still am not gonna give that dream up but I will put it aside. I have always wanted to prospect AZ and so I think I might head that way thanks to Terrys generous offer. So does anyone have any suggestions besides rain gear, detector, backpack, boots, clothes etc to bring to AZ. Im sure Terry can give say this info but anyone reading this thread feel free to post any suggestions.

OP
OP
K

keepmehumblelord

Jan 10, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Steve

As a life-long Alaskan my advice would be that you do more research. For instance "As we all know AK has much more placer gold then all the states in my opinion" shows that you do not know the placer gold production of Alaska versus California. The Coldfoot area has many mining claims owned by miners rather famous up here for their shall we say "protective attitude" regarding their mining claims. Still, there are certainly opportunities there for someone that does the proper research.

Steve Herschbach

Hey Steve yes I do have lots of reasearch to still do on alaska and maybe that will be this summers trip. Do you have any suggestions of what books or who to meet up with in Alaska this summer? Just some thoughts or more opinions would be great. Also what time of year would you suggest to go? Thanks
Don

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a few guys who is leaving in june for 2 mos. from L.A . on KLRs riding to the top of alaska and a few others are welcome to tag alone but they dont MD .

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Humble, if you're heading here, wait till at least Feb as others are here now and one or two are lined up. Be glad to have you here. No need to worry about water. Here, where we hunt, we are close to water and we have vehicles. TTC

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
(This is in response to the invitation to go to Arizona in the winter.) Even in Feb., at night, you'll need warm clothes, and extra bedding--unless you have heat. In the daytime, it's often quite pleasant, but if you're out at night for any reason, you'll need warm clothing. Take reading material, DVD's or movie files if you have the capability, music, etc. If you have a set of binoculars, they're invaluable. If you love the stars and have a night-vision device--the stars are fantastic in the desert. A snake-bite kit, just in case you're still there when the critters with no shoulders start to get inquisitive. A long-handled pick, if you're metal detecting (safer for snake areas). Remember that everything in the desert bites, pokes, or stabs--so, clothing that offers protection from that as well. A camera to document your adventure, and some way to record your adventure (digital or pen/pencil and paper). A hat and sunglasses for the sun. A first-aid kit, work gloves, sample/collection bottles (film containers, plastic bottles, small glass vials), a compass if you don't have GPS, reliable flashlight, spare batteries, general pain medication (tylenol or aspirin) as initially--you will have sore muscles, good socks to protect your feet, if your trailer is unheated--a warm cap and dry socks to wear to bed, gold pan, magnet, thin paper plates or sheets of paper for processing dried concentrates, and always consider how you'll protect yourself in isolation (depending on your location).

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

keepmehumblelord

Jan 10, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok great Terry I will hold off until february then. Are you prospecting on a GPAA claim or have you made your own claims? just wondering. Ill give you a heads up on the plane flight day i get for february.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok great Terry I will hold off until february then. Are you prospecting on a GPAA claim or have you made your own claims? just wondering. Ill give you a heads up on the plane flight day i get for february.
Great. Plan on it. Tim and I both are GPAA members. We also have claims to work and are members of local clubs. You will not be hurting for places to hunt. TTC

OP
OP
K

keepmehumblelord

Jan 10, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great. Plan on it. Tim and I both are GPAA members. We also have claims to work and are members of local clubs. You will not be hurting for places to hunt. TTC

Awsome Terry I look forward to it!!! What are the soil conditions like there? Are they really mineralized or so so? Also should i bring my sluice box? Thanks Terry! I dont believe I have met Tim yet on here. Well anyways im excited! I have never got to prospect with someone that has done it for a long time. I look forward to february! Do you ever get out to Cali and prospect?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not to Cali. Mostly Rich Hill, AZ. Az's first and largest "gold Rush" in 1863. Lynx Creek is also close by.Written up as Az's most productive creek. Leave the sluice at home. We have everything you will need.EDIT: Duh! Brain fart! Cali(fornia). Yes! Mostly around Coyote Creek in Cavaleras County. Also some good places at certain neighbors to remain secret! TTC

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

keepmehumblelord

Jan 10, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to Cali. Mostly Rich Hill, AZ. Az's first and largest "gold Rush" in 1863. Lynx Creek is also close by.Written up as Az's most productive creek. Leave the sluice at home. We have everything you will need.EDIT: Duh! Brain fart! Cali(fornia). Yes! Mostly around Coyote Creek in Cavaleras County. Also some good places at certain neighbors to remain secret! TTC

Hey Terry hope all is well in AZ. I have read on Lynx creek and Rich hill. 2 great spots from what i hear and the videos i have seen on youtube. Im looking forward to it. Alright ill leave the sluice at home. What part of february would you suggest is best for you? Im gonna try and get the lowest airfare possible so im not sure i can pick the exact date but i will try to come close to what you feel is the best time to come. I should bring my detector right? Alright ill talk to you soon! Have a great sunday!
Don

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
If anyone is interested in the rich hill area Chris Golsons book on rich hill is a must! Check out his Arizona Outback website.

OP
OP
K

keepmehumblelord

Jan 10, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone is interested in the rich hill area Chris Golsons book on rich hill is a must! Check out his Arizona Outback website.

Hey Doug I appreciate that info and im sure many other do as well. The funny thing is I have been on his website many times studying. I have spent hundreds if not into the thousand hours of studying gold and so that is probably how i came across his website. It is a great website. I havent got to check out his book. Im sure its a great book. Rich hill must be a pretty big mountains or place to prospect. Im excited to check it out soon.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Each place in the country has it's own challenges. First make sure you have a legal place to mine. Alaska before May is frigid. They also have bears and other critters that will not respect your tent. Arizona has the snakes and scorpions. Research your area thoroughly, and prepare.

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I am thinking that I am gonna hold off on ALaska for now. I still am not gonna give that dream up but I will put it aside. I have always wanted to prospect AZ and so I think I might head that way thanks to Terrys generous offer. So does anyone have any suggestions besides rain gear, detector, backpack, boots, clothes etc to bring to AZ. Im sure Terry can give say this info but anyone reading this thread feel free to post any suggestions.

Go get it man!!persistance and heart is all u need. and lots of researchin first

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread