Ancient Riverbed Gold

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok. So.. Today I went to a place where they were hydraulic mining during the gold rush and you can clearly see the old river rocks on the hillside where they blasted with the water cannons. I climbed all the way up to where the river rocks were which was quite a climb.. I had to dig some footholds with my rockhammer to get up there then dig a spot to actually stand.. Anyways.. I swept my detector across the side and got quite a few hits but I wasn't very prepared to get whatever I was picking up on my detector (No safety glasses or chisel..) I wasn't expecting that stuff to be as hard as concrete xD. I tried my best with a scoop and a rockhammer but it wasn't quite good enough so next time I'm planning on bringing my big mining pick and maybe a chisel. So the reason why I'm posting this is, have any of you out there worked an area similar to this? I'm not sure if there can be nuggets anywhere in that stuff or would I have a better chance if there's bedrock somewhere lower down under the dirt below where the river rocks are visible? I guess if it were an ancient riverbed than there'd be more gold on the bedrock just like any modern day river? It looks like over the years material has fallen to the base of the hill so that might require a lot more digging... I know that there's a lot of gold here because they found 100,000+ ounces at this location but they had to stop because hydraulics were banned. Any advice?

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First, be sure it's not hotrocks you're picking up. If you're certain it's metal inside the concreted material, by all means bust it out and have a look. I've found nuggets in concreted material often, and I've found nuggets cemented in bedrock as well. It is possible, and it's also possible you're reading hotrocks, but the best way to find out is to bust it out and visually ID it--then you'll know.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First, be sure it's not hotrocks you're picking up. If you're certain it's metal inside the concreted material, by all means bust it out and have a look. I've found nuggets in concreted material often, and I've found nuggets cemented in bedrock as well. It is possible, and it's also possible you're reading hotrocks, but the best way to find out is to bust it out and visually ID it--then you'll know.

All the best,

Lanny

My detector has a setting to cancel out iron. Is that usually what hot rocks are? I always check the reading with that setting before digging. (If it's not a rediculously high pitch squeal like some kind of trash than I dig it anyways..) There shouldn't be any trash in that hillside though unless somebody shot into it.. Is there a specific height that you've found nuggets in concreted material? Where I'm at theres a very very tall hillside of it. If I jumped off the top I'm pretty sure it would kill me lol..

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you try detecting the material that washed down to the bottom of the hillside?
There could possibly be some gold there that eroded out of the hard pack.

That would be an easier/safer way to tell if your detector is reading hot rocks.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the Oldtimer's worked an area, there's usually a trail of trash they've left. On hillsides it's often nails (iron, brass), parts of nails, canslaw, bits of wire (copper, iron) etc. that's come down from above. If it's not trash, then it's either native iron, hotrocks, or some other kind of metal. As to height--no--in the case of a hydraulic operation, or disturbed dirt, or layered deposition, the gold is where you find it.

Just get a tone, dig, then ID--it's the best way if you have a question about what's under your coil. I've used masonary chisels and small sledge hammers to liberate many a sassy nugget from cemented/concreted/conglomerated material.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did you try detecting the material that washed down to the bottom of the hillside?
There could possibly be some gold there that eroded out of the hard pack.

That would be an easier/safer way to tell if your detector is reading hot rocks.

I tried at the base of the hillside but not too much of the material that washed down. I'll try looking around in that stuff more when I go back. Thanks for the replies!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....those faces are Very inviting for plinkers,or target shooters,as well...........................

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....those faces are Very inviting for plinkers,or target shooters,as well...........................

I was about to suggest the same thing kuger. I have found that
lead bullets sound really good on most detectors. Hope you are into
gold N8Longly. :hello:

Hangtown

Jan 10, 2013
El dorado county
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok. So.. Today I went to a place where they were hydraulic mining during the gold rush and you can clearly see the old river rocks on the hillside where they blasted with the water cannons. I climbed all the way up to where the river rocks were which was quite a climb.. I had to dig some footholds with my rockhammer to get up there then dig a spot to actually stand.. Anyways.. I swept my detector across the side and got quite a few hits but I wasn't very prepared to get whatever I was picking up on my detector (No safety glasses or chisel..) I wasn't expecting that stuff to be as hard as concrete xD. I tried my best with a scoop and a rockhammer but it wasn't quite good enough so next time I'm planning on bringing my big mining pick and maybe a chisel. So the reason why I'm posting this is, have any of you out there worked an area similar to this? I'm not sure if there can be nuggets anywhere in that stuff or would I have a better chance if there's bedrock somewhere lower down under the dirt below where the river rocks are visible? I guess if it were an ancient riverbed than there'd be more gold on the bedrock just like any modern day river? It looks like over the years material has fallen to the base of the hill so that might require a lot more digging... I know that there's a lot of gold here because they found 100,000+ ounces at this location but they had to stop because hydraulics were banned. Any advice?
get under that cement stuff theres a chance theres some nice powder and nugget in there.. but also pan that cement stuff after you crush it.. work that hill and you will find gold, try to make a better ledge to work on.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check your local Geology and Mines bulletins. If the hydraulikng has taken place and discovered an anchient riverbed, you will have many placer mines recorded in the area. Virtually ALL the recorded placering done here in Caleveras county, CA, was done on the old river channels. I am going to say hi to Dave Wiessman in an hour. I will take a pic of one of the major river channels that cross this county while I am out and about. TTC

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check your local Geology and Mines bulletins. If the hydraulikng has taken place and discovered an anchient riverbed, you will have many placer mines recorded in the area. Virtually ALL the recorded placering done here in Caleveras county, CA, was done on the old river channels. I am going to say hi to Dave Wiessman in an hour. I will take a pic of one of the major river channels that cross this county while I am out and about. TTC

I've seen a topo map of the area explored a little bit and there are a few placer mines around it. A lot of sluice tunnels and ditches carved in the bedrock where they channeled the material as well.

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sluice tunnels and ditches? I know where I would start to look!!! :thumbsup:

Haha yeah it's a big area though.. It's hard to decide where to go first! I dug around in some of the ditches and I wasn't finding much of anything just really really fine dust so I got kind of frustrated and climbed up to the source xD. The sluice tunnel is really really long and dark inside I'm not sure how good they cleaned it out.. I've been to both ends of it.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

you should pick up those reports from Dave, Terry.....

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha yeah it's a big area though.. It's hard to decide where to go first! I dug around in some of the ditches and I wasn't finding much of anything just really really fine dust so I got kind of frustrated and climbed up to the source xD. The sluice tunnel is really really long and dark inside I'm not sure how good they cleaned it out.. I've been to both ends of it.

..............they went in it,and many never came out.............stay out of those.They are the most dangerous of all "tunnels"

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
..............they went in it,and many never came out.............stay out of those.They are the most dangerous of all "tunnels"

Ok I will. If I do anything with those things I'll stay right out by the entrance.. I don't want to be wandering around in the dark for gold anyhow =] I've seen a lot of gravestones that say that the person died at this place when it was operational in the 1800s. I found one of a man with the same last name as me... not sure if we're related or not but I don't want to be the second person in my family to die there if he was related to me..

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you should pick up those reports from Dave, Terry.....
GOT 'EM Kuger! Just got back from talking to Dave. WOW! 1936 rpt, 1915 rpt. And many others. Even one that I already have as a reprint but got from him as the REAL DEAL! Also, for those interested, here are some pics of a tertiary riverbed system in Calaveras county, CA. The first is of the cobbles always associated with the old riverbeds. It was exposed in the cut , building Hwy 4, just east of Angel's Camp. Location of pic... 38 4.801N 120 31.358W. The second and third is a (partial) diagram that is on page 80 of Ray Wallace's publication The Ancient River of Gold (1985/2007). He borrowed the pick from the (1963) Mines and Mineral Resources of Calaveras County, CA Report Number 2 (it is on page 90 there). I have made a major COUPE in getting the reports from Dave Wiseman! TTC
river1.jpg river2.jpg river3.jpg

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be VERY VERY careful around those mines! Many times, in the riverbeds, they tunnelled under a false bedrock and did some "drifting" of the riverbed material. Those are the MOST dangerouse of tunnels as they are not done in solid rock but loose rock, sand, and cobbles. Take care. Really! TTC

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be VERY VERY careful around those mines! Many times, in the riverbeds, they tunnelled under a false bedrock and did some "drifting" of the riverbed material. Those are the MOST dangerouse of tunnels as they are not done solid rock but rock, sand, and cobbles. Take care. Really! TTC

................its whats on the back(roof)...above to be majorly concerned about.Airslack cobbles set loose from minor vibration crush your skull,or an out right cave in crush your whole body

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GOT 'EM Kuger! Just got back from talking to Dave. WOW! 1936 rpt, 1915 rpt. And many others. Even one that I already have as a reprint but got from him as the REAL DEAL! Also, for those interested, here are some pics of a tertiary riverbed system in Calaveras county, CA. The first is of the cobbles always associated with the old riverbeds. It was exposed in the cut , building Hwy 4, just east of Angel's Camp. Location of pic... 38 4.801N 120 31.358W. The second and third is a (partial) diagram that is on page 80 of Ray Wallace's publication The Ancient River of Gold (1985/2007). He borrowed the pick from the (1963) Mines and Mineral Resources of Calaveras County, CA Report Number 2 (it is on page 90 there). I have made a major COUPE in getting the reports from Dave Wiseman! TTC
View attachment 724174 View attachment 724175 View attachment 724180

I see on this map there's intervolcanic and just normal tertiary channels. Would it be a good spot for gold if you had an area where the two crossed each other? The spot where I'm going has some type of volcanic channel crossing a tertiary. I read a geological survey on the spot and it said something like that..

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread