Gold Bug Pro

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all.

I know I am asking a lot on a holiday, but a friend of a friend is selling a Gold Bug Pro. I made arrangements to go look at it tomorrow. He is only aksing 400 for it. So, my question is, what do I look for in these to make sure it works? I think I don't want the DP model, since I am going to be using for gold, right? I have never even seen one of these in person, so I don't even know how to turn it on, much less test it. I am planning on bringing a little .18 gram nugget with to check it with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Keith

Upvote 0

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks also to you, Terry. Love your Reagan quote. I'd have sucked as a Marine, I'm glad you made your difference your way while I was making mine my way.
By any chance did you know Michael Kastner of Santa Fe, NM? If so, please shoot me a PM, there's a story from two completely different worlds we should share and bring together into a single story that perhaps we should share with his children. Time's running out.

The fire tragedy in Yarnell, I grieved over that. I've walked the stations of the cross in the incredibly beautiful outdoor sanctuary there with Protestants and Catholics and atheists alike, explaining the interior meaning of the "stations" ritual in a way I hope that anyone whatever their background can at least get a glimpse of those meanings and appreciate them. And, having once worked for the State Climatologist of Arizona, I knew that Yarnell had one of the most equitable climates in Arizona (or for that matter, in the temperate climate world). Many times I drove through Yarnell for field testing gold machines in the Congress area, and marvelled at the changes of vegetation going up and down the Yarnell Grade.

But to see a mesquite tree growing in the shade....... of a..... Douglas fir..... (!!!!!) your only choice is Oak Canyon. Yarnell, for all its botanical glory, ain't got that.

Happy New Year, may you live long enough to see and experience more of the glories that God has gifted mere mortals with!

--Dave J.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks also to you, Terry. Love your Reagan quote. I'd have sucked as a Marine, I'm glad you made your difference your way while I was making mine my way.
By any chance did you know Michael Kastner of Santa Fe, NM? If so, please shoot me a PM, there's a story from two completely different worlds we should share and bring together into a single story that perhaps we should share with his children. Time's running out.

The fire tragedy in Yarnell, I grieved over that. I've walked the stations of the cross in the incredibly beautiful outdoor sanctuary there with Protestants and Catholics and atheists alike, explaining the interior meaning of the "stations" ritual in a way I hope that anyone whatever their background can at least get a glimpse of those meanings and appreciate them. And, having once worked for the State Climatologist of Arizona, I knew that Yarnell had one of the most equitable climates in Arizona (or for that matter, in the temperate climate world). Many times I drove through Yarnell for field testing gold machines in the Congress area, and marvelled at the changes of vegetation going up and down the Yarnell Grade.

But to see a mesquite tree growing in the shade....... of a..... Douglas fir..... (!!!!!) your only choice is Oak Canyon. Yarnell, for all its botanical glory, ain't got that.

Happy New Year, may you live long enough to see and experience more of the glories that God has gifted mere mortals with!

--Dave J.
Thank you, Dave. Very nice. I did not know Mike K. In Yarnell is a grocery store owned by Andy and "Mina?" Bacon. His brother was a Marine in Vietnam. Congressional Medal of Honor (Dean Bacon). Dean just died about 2 years ago. Some of his platoon died so Dean jumped up on a tank to direct the troops' better. The write-up is on the official CMH site. His citation reads like a John Wayne movie! I wish I had met the man. There is also a special place in my Hero Book for firefighters and cops. They lay it all on the line for people they don't even know! TTC

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also really liked Ray's book. When it arrived, I read it cover to cover on a weekend. When the snow flys, I intend to read it again. Highly recommended.

As for the GB. My little detector is one of the original (I think SE). The version is 2.9
I wonder if I would notice a material difference if I "upgraded" to a version 4? My only complaint with the 29er and maybe it is with all detectors in this family, is depth (especially in discriminate). What I love about it is the weight and ease of use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread