Gold Bug Pro

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all.

I know I am asking a lot on a holiday, but a friend of a friend is selling a Gold Bug Pro. I made arrangements to go look at it tomorrow. He is only aksing 400 for it. So, my question is, what do I look for in these to make sure it works? I think I don't want the DP model, since I am going to be using for gold, right? I have never even seen one of these in person, so I don't even know how to turn it on, much less test it. I am planning on bringing a little .18 gram nugget with to check it with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Keith

Upvote 0

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Take a 9 volt battery with you. To turn the GB Pro on turn the left knob (Gain) clockwise and turn the knob to the 11 o'clock position. The Manual says 12 o'clock but 11 o'clock is better for finding the small stuff. Now turn the (Threshold knob) slowly until you hear a slight sound. While pumping (coil) up and down over the ground hold the center GG button to ground balance it. That's basically it in a nutshell. Next swing GB Pro side to side holding the coil just off the ground. After GB Pro is set be sure to ground balance often if needed. Headphones are a huge plus because the gold will whisper just slightly unless the coil is right over the target or the target is big. While in All Metal Mode keep an eye on the ferrous bars left side of the display and the Bar Graph at the top of the display, While watching these two different scales on the display dig everything 0-2 bars on the ferrous while watching bar graph at the top of the display, the bar graph should be above 35. You will know hot rocks by the boing sound they make, pump the coil up and down over a hot rock and you will really hear it. On another note the Gold Bug Pro was designed my Dave (Woof) Johnson who is a member of these forums and currently is an Engineer for Fisher. Dave has a 40 page booklet called Gold Prospecting With A VLF Metal Detector. If you would like a copy of this booklet PM me with your email address and I would be happy to send you a copy. The link is on the Fisher website and the last time I check the file had all the pages out of sequence.

For a more in depth read on the Gold Bug Pro visit Steve page, Gold Bug Pro

Keith

GOLD BUG PRO MANUAL

Gold Bug Pro1.jpg VLF File.png

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kaz,

PM me with your email address and I will send you a file that's a good read that's written by Dave Johnson who is the brains behind nearly all VLF MD's made. It will give you some valuable info. on how the VFL's work.

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
NO DP JUST THE PRO MODEL OR YOU'LL REGRET IT .....

(Excuse me for jumping in here please.) Hoser, what's the problem with the DP? Someone asked me about that the other day, and I'd like to be able to give them an informed answer.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
K

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, it seemed to work just fine. So I picked it up. Now, to learn how to use it... Can I get headphones at Radio shack for it?

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You could but I think your best bet is to purchase headphones that are designed for MD. With you living in Arizona I would recommend that you buy headphones that are leather instead of vinyl. The heat of the summer will make the vinyl headphones uncomfortable. Also buy headphones that completely cover the ears as you want to drown out all background noise. I have and really like the Sun Ray Gold headphones.

Things you need to know,

You need volume controls for left and right sides on the headphones as most MD's do not have volume controls.

Speakers need to be made of moisture resistant material. You will sweat...

Have the ability to switch from stereo to mono of which will make the headphones work with most MD's.

Most home audio headphones are anywhere from 2 to 16 ohms. MD headphones will typically be 150 ohms.

Everyone is going to say what they have are the best. My best advice is to go to a shop and try all the headphones you can and you make a sound decision. It's like what's the best truck, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am sure they are the cat's meow, but those are pretty spendy.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yea they are. I got lucky and bought them new for $10.00 at a yard sale, never opened. Do some research you may find HP's that fit your budget. Headphones I don't like buying from them but you can get an idea of HP's available.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, I got out to today with the new detector. I visited Rich Hill area. It was pretty interesting getting back in there. I never could find the road that supposedly leads back into the Roadrunner claims. I am pretty sure I went too far and missed the turn. Ended up on the top of a hill I knew the truck wouldn't make it back up. No problem, I don't mind walking, or billy goating as it turned out. There are a hell of a lot of huge boulders on that hill. I bet I walked a half mile back to get to the claims, and my feet only touched the ground about half the time. Good thing I have some awesome boots that grip like spiderman!
So, anyways, I think I found virgin ground. I dug up so much lead and steel I can't imagine anyone has been back there with a detector. About that Gold Bug Pro. That is an extremely sensitive piece of machinery! I was diggin up pieces of steel that were so small I had to puff into the scoop to make them appear. .068 by .125 of an inch. I had to get out the micrometer to check it. For those of you can't visualize it, that is a tiny bit smaller than the flakes of tobacco that are left in a cigarette pack. I know, because that is the only way I could figure to haul them home to see how small they are.
I have had a long day to myself to think of an analogy to explain it. This is what I am thinking. If you were able to flatten a steel BB, and cut it into 37 pieces, I could hand them back to you. To say I am impressed with this machine is an understatement.

Now, I have a question for all of you who have used this machine, or others similiar. What range of objects should I be digging? I got to the point where if it hit 70, or over, I left it. That is steel. I did notice that the signal would change sometimes as I dug an object up. I assume that is because it was sitting on an angle? Then, as the flat side was exposed, the signal trued up??

On a side note, is that Rob Allison there in Stanton? I saw a store for detectors on the way through.

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i watched a few vids and my last trip out i had it grunting like it never ever did before ..knocks out tin foil junk

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Watch your ferrous bars.
What do you mean? I can see the bars on the left side of the screen. That is purely ground balance, right? Or no?

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all, be careful depending on the ferrous bars too much. I had a few friends that were doing just that and I was picking up gold behind them. The scenario was flat washed bedrock and the cracks were loaded with black sands, also a few bits of gold here and there. The sheer amount of black sand was overwhelming the ferrous bars. If you listened very carefully you could tell a difference with a gold target. I came across this on my own and probably walked over a few pieces. I have gone back and retrieved pieces from such areas. I certainly do not want to burst any bubbles but keep tuned in, my ears are usually the defining factor. Thanks, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok.... it's KAZCORO! Our bad telephone connection made it sound different. As we discussed, finding that very small iron bits means you are doing it right. Now, when you have a nuggie under the coil, it is IN THE POKE! All the old iron also means the old timers were also there. Lots of iron = lots of activity = lots of gold! You just have to put up with the iron bits. The gold is there! Persevere! BE CAREFUL! Be absolutely sure you are on the right claim(s). Some in those areas employed ARMED PATROLS! I met one. He is an IDIOT! He was scolding me in case I strayed! If he would have pulled that hog leg, I would have stuck it where the sun don't shine! Bunk knows who he is. I told Bunk of the incident. Be careful, Kaz. And good hunting. TTC

OP
OP
K

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Terry. I went out there again today. Got way up on the hill side. Stuck my coil in as much cleavage as I could. Nada. At least not today. There is always more days though. I went down the BIG wash and drywashed(didn't work so good) and brought some material home to pan. I know I got some. It was hard to resist breaking out the detector in the big wash, but i resisted. Some rugged country out there...

OP
OP
K

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I also stopped at that store there in Stanton and picked up a pick. Very cool tool.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Terry. I went out there again today. Got way up on the hill side. Stuck my coil in as much cleavage as I could. Nada. At least not today. There is always more days though. I went down the BIG wash and drywashed(didn't work so good) and brought some material home to pan. I know I got some. It was hard to resist breaking out the detector in the big wash, but i resisted. Some rugged country out there...
A little local knowledge goes a long way! Remember what I said about the '30's depression era. It is a not so secret secret that most of the wash bottoms south of Rich Hill were "dozed" to remove overburden from the bottom of the washes. They piled it up into "berms" alongside. Tim and I have been directing visitors to those side berms instead of the bottoms with very good results. The bottoms have been hit hard.... the berms not. Nuggets are harder to come by than flour or course gold. BUT an ounce is an ounce is an ounce.... in whatever form you find it! TTC

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When you are up Weaver in that area look for Epidote and "Ruby" Quartz float. Those are the most identifiable associated minerals for those deposits.

I wouldn't depend too much on discrimination when you are on the hillside, there are a lot of specimen pieces and mine float in that area and discrimination will make them virtually invisible.

You were just down the hill from Rob Allison's mine. He's the one with the trackhoe on the leased State land.

Don't let Dan phase you with his 44 Mag. He's been the caretaker for several mines up there for a lot of years. If you aren't trespassing he will just growl. If you don't like him growling at you bring him a few good cigars and introduce yourself. Sometimes with guard dogs it's better to make friends. A man that's been around as long as he has knows stuff. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions