Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On another thread, I complained about using the webbing with the battery on the back. I just hate clipping it on and getting the two cables from behind sorted out, especially for a quick jump out and go detect. Lanny kindly pointed out that there are aftermarket light weight battery packs available which clip to the side of the GPX.

I dropped into a local Minelab store and asked if they carry them and the fellow looked at me like my hair was on fire. He told me I could destroy the detector and other such nonsense.

I then tried to look at the internet and found Docs Gold Screamer and the Coiltech Pocket Rocket. Any others that are worthy of consideration? Any benefit to adding an external speaker (I suspect it will be difficult to hear the "whispers"). I would welcome any opinions on any of the battery packs and advise if they are available anywhere in Canada (otherwise, I will order it from the US).

Upvote 0

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes i would like to hear about that battery pack also ….. They never gave the name of it or were you could get it...

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a couple of good ones out there. If you have even the least bit of electrical knowledge, you can build one yourself.

The biggest expense will be the battery you choose to power your setup. I have a heavily modified SD2000, and didn't want to pay $600 for a good all day battery pack. I went with a 10,000 mAh 11.1 volt Lithium Polymer RC Battery, and bought all the components from a combo of Fry's and Ebay. I used 11.1 volts because the SD2000 can safely use up to about 9volts. So, depending on EMI, Power Lines, Bad Ground, etc, I can vary the voltage for better depth. Since the SD2000 draws about 950-1000 milliamps of power, each 1,000 milliamp/hours of battery rating is good for about one hour of detecting. I use a cheap step down voltage regulator to vary the voltage used. I am building a new one, and will post pics as I build it. Almost have everything now.

Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool build, but probably beyond my abilities. I would hate to construct something to save a few hundred dollars that ended up shorting a fairly new detector worth thousands. On the other hand, a self hand built is usually better built (ie. you always take more care and use better materials, when making something for yourself, than depending on a stranger who is pumping out multiple units for sale).

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool build, but probably beyond my abilities. I would hate to construct something to save a few hundred dollars that ended up shorting a fairly new detector worth thousands. On the other hand, a self hand built is usually better built (ie. you always take more care and use better materials, when making something for yourself, than depending on a stranger who is pumping out multiple units for sale).
I know what you mean if i was to make something like that i would probably blow up my detector … I am not good at that sort of thing..

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use Doc's Gold Screamer and love it.

All the best,

Lanny

IDdesertman

Dec 8, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, Gold Bugs
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use the Gold Screamer Pack too. Most guys I know with GPXs are using one. I got tired of the tangly stock battery setup reeeeal quick.

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am glad it is not just me who finds the stock setup to be a problem. Thanks for the help. Two more questions - how many batteries to you take with you? I am thinking I should buy the Screamer and two batteries, but is that enough? I think so, but may as well ask. Also, is there any use to also getting the external speaker too? I am thinking not, unless I want to record videos, but for nugget detecting that you always want the earphones. Thanks in advance.

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't use the harness at all with my GPX 4800. Here in Arizona it gets pretty hot and you need water so I wear a Camelbak. It has a large external pouch that I just thrown the standard battery into. Works great. I also bought a belt pouch from Eureka Worx that holds the battery that you can wear on the back of your pants (with a stiff belt like a pistol belt). Got that for the winter when it's cooler and I don't need to carry a lot of water, or on short detecting jaunts. Haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet tho.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread