Metal detecting in Wilcox AZ

Captain Kirk

Dec 27, 2014
Western Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I'm headed to Wilcox for a couple of days (5-6 of Jan). Wondering if anyone knows of any good (legal too!) spots where I could hit. Not looking for anyone's honey hole, just want to be pointed in the right direction. Also would be interested in meeting up with anyone who lives in the area. Thanks.

Upvote 0

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do a google search for "dos cabezas mining district". Then keep researching from there.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to Tnet capt.
I don't live in the area but wish you best.
Try looking at this thread, and then there is a link to another thread within that thread.
tnet wilcox thread

OP
OP
Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk

Dec 27, 2014
Western Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, I'll keep looking. I've got a pretty good idea where I want to go, just have to make sure I can go there without getting myself into trouble.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
You can go to the link in my signature and do research on that area. By using the first layer on the Arizona Claims map you can see where current claims are located. By using the land management layer you can see if it's BLM. Forest Service, Private land etc. Mining Activity layer (historical) lets you can see where claims were in the past. Layers can be turned on and off as needed. Just hit the refresh button to update the map. DO NOT use the browser refresh button though as that will put you back to square one. Bottom button that looks like two arrows chasing each other in a circle.

I'm about 90 miles south of the south side of Dos Cabezas and have checked it out a couple of times buy not since the Land Matters site came on-line. Just might be worth another look see at sometime in the future.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
The playa itself is probably wide open once you've found an access point. And if you don't like digging at least you can appreciate the easy terrain and the great views.

(Just funnin' ya, ain't really a troll.)

AZADAM

Jun 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your better off walking around the playa looking for a meteorite

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can go to the link in my signature and do research on that area. By using the first layer on the Arizona Claims map you can see where current claims are located. By using the land management layer you can see if it's BLM. Forest Service, Private land etc. Mining Activity layer (historical) lets you can see where claims were in the past. Layers can be turned on and off as needed. Just hit the refresh button to update the map. DO NOT use the browser refresh button though as that will put you back to square one. Bottom button that looks like two arrows chasing each other in a circle.

I'm about 90 miles south of the south side of Dos Cabezas and have checked it out a couple of times buy not since the Land Matters site came on-line. Just might be worth another look see at sometime in the future.

Thanks for posting.

tvanwho

Jul 15, 2005
indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo ST, Whites MXT and TDi,Garrett AT Pro and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That dry lake bed at Wilcox is a Military Bombing range on my Topo map....

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That dry lake bed at Wilcox is a Military Bombing range on my Topo map....

Maybe you could skip that spot...You might be picking shell casings out of the ground, and lead shot from your behind. :dontknow:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk

Dec 27, 2014
Western Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I've got is my trusty AT Pro. Headed down to Wilcox again Monday. We'll see if I can find anything this time.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
You ever get up towards the Kingman area let me know. I've found several spots that almost scream "Detect here!!". Be glad to share if you don't mind a little hike / drive to get to them. Very off the beaten path.

OP
OP
Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk

Dec 27, 2014
Western Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll let you know if I make it over near the Kingman area for sure. No plans for that side of the state right now, but maybe in the future. Thanks!

OP
OP
Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk

Dec 27, 2014
Western Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got skunked nugget hunting again! Found a bunch of wire though.

Attachments

• 1435697780645.jpg
    1435697780645.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 116

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd be hesitant to wear headphones in that desert...snakes and ear sweat aren't my favorite, lol.

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got skunked nugget hunting again! Found a bunch of wire though.

Where have you been detecting out there? There's supposed to be old gold placers in the Dos Cabeza mountains near Willcox but I've never hunted out there or heard of many people who have. I think John B. may have if you're familiar with who he is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread