A nice one...

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all, I finally got a chance to get out for a day of detecting and met up with a few friends. We had a large area to detect so we all split up and went our own ways. One of the guys told me about a digging that followed the large gully we were hunting on. He mentioned that the digging was up the hill and paralleled the gully.

I found the area and it was what I had hoped for, a pocket digging. The old timers had opened up a seam of rotten shale that was about fifty yards long, ten feet across and about eight feet deep. I detected the digging itself first and did not get any gold. The guys had told me that they detected some gold out of it earlier. It still looked too good so I went over the berm to the hillside between the digging and the gully. You could see where material had been thrown over and down and I figured that I might get a small scrap somewhere along that zone to at least keep the skunk away.

As I moved across the face of the hill I came to an area that had more brush and less dig holes. I went into my regular routine and dropped to my knees and started detecting into the brush. About ten feet in I got a really nice mellow signal and scraped the leaves out of the way. The target was still there. I moved the topsoil off my small clearing down to the red and orange clay that was mixed in with the rotten shale. The shale began to get hard and about six inches deeper as I was pulling the soil out of the v-groove when I thought I saw something yellow glint in the late afternoon sun. I reached down and grabbed a hand full of dirt. As I switched the dirt from hand to hand I felt the weight of something as it dropped onto my palm. I pulled my hand out into the sunlight and right away I could see my nugget peeking out of the clay and dirt. Wow, I said to myself, that's a nice one.

When the nugget was put on the scales it came out to 14.88 pennyweights. After washing the loose dirt off of it I put it on the scales again and it came in at 14.83 pennyweight. I was using the 3000 with the Sadie coil.

I have been very busy the last month or so getting my book "Detecting for Gold, Adventures, Trips and Tips" off to the printer. I have also been working on my website "TRINITYAU.COM". The book will be available at the end of January. Thanks all, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

JAN NUG 1.jpg JAN NUG 2.jpg JAN NUG 3.jpg

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WOW....nice one, indeed! :occasion14:

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome! When are your books gonna be released?

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Ray, you just gotta love it! Very Nice!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice hunk of gold you found there!Like the half dime too.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the finds!

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice slug (with a face only a prospector could love)

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is a handsome looking nugget Ray, congratulations, and thankyou for sharing your experience. I think many of the forum members are interested in purchasing your new book when it is available. I would like to acquire two copies minimum Ray if that would be possible. When I purchased Chris Ralph's new book at the time, it was purchased directly from him... a signed copy is what I'm after from you as well, if you're willing to do it.

Jim.

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing the story of your find. And what a find. Congratulations!!

OP
OP
trinityau

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys, thanks for the comments. It is a pretty piece and I am hoping to go back with the seventeen inch coil and work it slow, there is some deep ground.

Jim, the book will be available near the end of January 2015. At that time the store will be open on the website and you can buy as many copies as you wish and I will sign off on all of them. LOL, Seriously though, I hope the book does good and I hope everyone likes it. The website, TRINITYAU.COM offers lots of information and I will be updating all my daily, weekly and annual trips as they happen along with tips and trips for both the novice and the not so green fellows. Thanks, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No worries Ray, your friends here on the forums certainly don’t expect literary perfection, and will look for reasons to like the new book and support your efforts to produce it. I think just the fact that we know you and feel comfortable with your success and expertise will undoubtedly contribute further to our enjoyment of the new book. We hope you enjoy good success with your book sales, and we’re looking forward to ordering our copies at the end of the month. :)

Jim.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very impressive! I think I would have a heart attack seeing that come out of the ground!

gold flake

Jun 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi trinity, very very nice! good on you. It would also be nice if you could take pictures of the ground where you did the dig to get a rough idea what the close ground looked like.
Hope you understand what mean.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Holy Cow Ray!
I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE GONE LOOKING FOR YOU WHEN I SAW YOUR JEEP PARKED JUST UP FROM ME!
I don't know if you saw my truck, I just bought it, its a dark green 1996 F150 4x4 Extended cab.

I have always felt that there was something good down that trail, I cant help but to think that you have found other great targets down that way too. ;)

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Double Post, sorry.

OP
OP
trinityau

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Neo, I am happy that my plan has been working so far. I cannot say whether the Jeep was mine or not. The reason for that is too many people look and watch for my vehicles more than I do. One day I had a guy tell me that he knew it was my Caliber parked at a location because he took a picture of my license plate. He also went on to tell me that there was a tiny X scratch on the left rear end. That scratch could be seen if you were driving behind me. Anyway back to my plan, here lately my wife and one of the daughters go walking on various trails and take the rigs that I normally use. I swap out with the one of the other rigs or go with someone else. So while my rig might have been at one location I was at another location finding gold. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well done my friend! I'm in French Gulch & my kids in High School tell me there isn't any gold left? I'm going to share you pic. Thanks.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ray that's just scary and I would feel really weirded out if someone said that to me! x_x
There was a guy that spied your rig, I think he said he hunted with you before, he stopped to talk to me for a minute, that's how I knew. :D
He was using an ATX if I remember right, he was interested in my FORS Gold as he hadn't seen or heard of it before.
When I went to leave I drove up to turn around and I saw your rig.

I noticed him first because he pulled right up infront of my truck while I was still pretty close, then he pulled behind it which doublie caught my attention. He was driving some small SUV like a Kia or something.
Anyways, nice enough guy I suppose.

I haven't found any gold out that way yet but I am still confident that I will. :D

Whenever it starts to get warmer I am up for that detecting trip on upper clear creek that you had mentioned a while back.
It would be nice to hunt a virtually trash free area. :)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread