Gold Racer on TRULY Small Gold

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, I finally had a couple hours to do some detecting.
My dad had already picked 3 or 4 nuggets from this particular pile of dirt using his Fisher GB2.
He didn't spend much time or give it much effort and had to get home for dinner.

He urged me to go find some gold...I had some free time, so I grabbed the Gold Racer (which I have decided to keep), and took advantage of the last couple hours of daylight.

I was using the 5" round coil, all metal mode, sensitivity at 80, isat at 8, tracking 0.
Picked up the first little piece then quickly went over the rest of the pile. Nothing jumped out at me.

The Gold Racer allows you to switch from a low tone threshold to a high tone threshold.
The factory default is set to low tone.

While trying to remember how to turn on the audio boost mode, I accidentally switched to high tone threshold....the detector came to life on the small gold!!
Very big difference.

gold10.jpg

The nugget weighs 20 Grains (1.3 Grams) and could be considered small gold by many people's standards.
The smallest piece...are you ready?

.3 Grains (.019 Grams). Truthfully, this is probably the smallest gold that I would take the time to dig while metal detecting.

I played around with the settings while I had the small gold handy.
The signals were great in all metal mode (nice and zippy with the high tone threshold) - barely a response in disc. 2.
When detecting for small gold, you have to dig every signal and use all metal mode exclusively.
I could hear the gold in both low and high tone threshold, but for some reason the high tone was more noticeable or pronounced to my ears.

As a side note, this gold came from the Black Scorpion Mine, which is known for black gold.
Nearly all of the gold comes out of the ground with a thick black, somewhat greasy coating on it.
If you didn't know this, you might toss it aside. It hasn't moved in a VERY long time. Probably since the ice age.
I didn't take much time cleaning this gold, just shook it in a vial of water. It does clean up very nice using gold cleaner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should clarify that there was barely a response on the smallest gold in Disc. 2 mode.
Obviously it ranged from a chirp on the smallest piece to a nice strong return on the largest piece.

I still would only recommend all metal mode for this small stuff.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice finds. Did you try the 10x5 coil at all? Ive been finding gold that small with the 10x5. It covers alot more ground, but im sure the 5" would hit louder on the small gold. Also if you put gold racer in disc 2 and adjust the imask from 1 down to 0. If the ground allows. You will be surprised how good it hears tiny gold. Also turn up sens. If you can but it works fine at 80. I check the tiny targets that I hear in all metal with the disc 2 just to see if I can hear them. Good luck and once again good findsm

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nicely done on your finds! Keep swinging that coil and keep posting the pictures of your finds.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 5" coil does return a better signal on the small gold. The main reason I was using it was because of the irregular shape of the pile of dirt I was detecting.
It had larger loose rocks on the surface and the smaller coil fits gets in closer to the ground in between the rocks.

The pile ended up yielding .77 ounce when it was washed this weekend. I'll see if I can't get a picture of the pan of gold and use it for my avatar for awhile.

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rest of the story

April 2016 .77 ounce_cropped.jpg

Where there is one nugget, there is always bound to be more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's more of a pay streak than a patch, but ya - it does look nice. Thanks

The remainder of the gold was found sluicing, not with the Gold Racer.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread